A little trip to Karwendel / Rofan

marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
edited August 18, 2006 in Journeys
A few weeks ago, we went hiking in Austria in the Karwendel and Rofan mountains. We used to do this a lot when we were still young and athletic, but decided that being out of shape shouldn't stop you from going on a hike. We didn't want to force things, so we picked a hiking tour of only a few days that was near a lake (Achensee), since those tend to be a bit flatter. Which is good, since we're flatlanders.

83158866-M.jpg

Well... when we got our detailed walking instructions, we got scared. They were talking about altitude changes, mountain shoes and what not. Ok... so much for the flatland. We went there, so we would go through with it. The first day was a welcoming hike, less than three hours along the lake. We were quite comfortable with that and took some time to enjoy the scenery.

83158873-L.jpg

The next day, things got worse. Or better, depending on how you look at it. There were 1000 altitude meters to cover in a small part of a 20km hike. In the next image we were halfway through, and I can admit I only took this image so I could stop walking and regain my breath. Man, was I out of shape or what? And the most difficult part of the hike was yet to come.

83158890-L.jpg

Anyhow, we survived, and looking back we really enjoyed our first day in the Karwendel mountains. The next day we walked back to the village we started, and came by this great farmhouse/mountainrestaurant (Almhütte). The owner must have been a cousin of the soup nazi from Seinfeld. We were not allowed to order through door number one, but could order through door number two, both of which gave entry to the same (small) kitchen. She took the order from door number two, and shouted it to her husband, who must have stood only two meters behind her. Still, she served a great soup.

84616251-M.jpg

After another 20km hike, we arrived in the village of Pertisaun. The next day we went to Maurach, and went up in the Rofan mountains. Next to us, the many hikers, there were quite a few paragliders there, putting up a great show.

83362155-M.jpg

We got some excellent views on the mountain ranges on our hike that day, making it worth all our efforts.

84534706-M.jpg

That night we stayed at a mountain guesthouse, where we happened to be the only regular guests next to a group of kids who had their farewell party after a mountain camp. It was tons of fun, being in the mountains, seeing a gorgeous sunset. It looks peaceful, doesn't it?

84815764-L.jpg

It wasn't. They were allowed to have a disco going, just the one night we were there. Just our luck, although it did bring back memories of the camps I went to when younger. But now, we definitely were no longer young and athletic, because in spite of all the noise we fell sound asleep before the disco ended. Hiking can be tiring... The last day (ahhhh....) we walked through the meadows, where due to the height they still had the spring flowers down the mountain.

84815814-L.jpg

Austria, land of the geranium and mountains. We still loved it. You can see more in the full gallery.

84534718-M.jpg
enjoy being here while getting there

Comments

• NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    Nice shots, looks like you had a good time, I realy like the sunset picthumb.gif
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Thanks, yeah I always love the coloring a sunset gives the mountains. You just got to imagine the disco sounds that accompanied it. ;)
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Great shots & writting mate...clap.gif I enjoyed the read.
    edited August 12, 2006
    Thanks, gus. Actually, I like the format of this forum, presenting pictures in a story. I tried it before (see my threads on Provence, Botswana, Lago Maggiore and Andalucia), since I believe for travel images the background story helps to put it in place.
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2006
    Great images. Some of them look as painted pictures.thumb.gif
    edited August 18, 2006
    Now that's a nice compliment. Thanks!
  • JoanMRKJoanMRK Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 18, 2006
    Great series on Austria. I really enjoyed your tour as I've always dreamt of going there...especially the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. iloveyou.gif While viewing this, I was able to visit my other favorite places of the world you've listed such as Andalucia and Botswana. Thanks so much for sharing and for taking me on a cheap vacation. thumb.gif
    edited August 18, 2006
    I've seen no horses in those mountains. But then again, I'm more of a cow boy myself.
    83158852-M.jpg83225859-M.jpg83158829-M.jpg