Options

Subterranean Landscapes

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited February 5, 2015 in Landscapes
Our photography club arranged a private tour of Luray Caverns here in Virginia. These are some of my favorite images. In the the first three images what look like stalagmites are in fact reflections of the overhead stalactites in pristine pools. If you look carefully, you may see the water line in the rear of the images. One image is a bit blurry due to water slowly dripping from above.

20140111_0738.jpg

20140111_0732.jpg

20140111_0744.jpg

20140111_0844_Sm.jpg

20140111_0825a.jpg

20140111_0853_4b_tonemapped.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2015
    WowZer! That is something! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. #2 with the 'disturbed' water is fantastic! Do they have lighting in there or did you use lighting? These are great to study!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2015
    Wow John! What rare opportunity and what magical scene!! Stuff of dreams!
    I tried to figure out favorites....couldn't....rarity for me!:D
    You shot and you scored! Nothing but net!bowdown.gifclap
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2015
    Boy, Jack, that's some mighty impressive shooting. It's one thing to have subjects like this, the real show, however, is having the skills to generate images as captivating as this grouping. Well done.clap.gif

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2015
    Eia wrote: »
    WowZer! That is something! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. #2 with the 'disturbed' water is fantastic! Do they have lighting in there or did you use lighting? These are great to study!

Thanks for stopping in Eia. Glad you enjoyed these. There are concrete walkways with railings allowing for some nice overlook shots as well as allowing straight on shots. The whole place is well lighted.

Jack
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow John! What rare opportunity and what magical scene!! Stuff of dreams!
    I tried to figure out favorites....couldn't....rarity for me!:D
    You shot and you scored! Nothing but net!bowdown.gifclap

Thanks for the kind words Taz. I do appreciate your comments.

Jack
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2015
    Caves are difficult to shoot in. I checked your EXIF data and saw we took different approaches to the camera settings than I did.

You used high ISO and a faster shutter speed. I used ISO 100 and let the shutter speed fall were ever it needed to be.

The next time I find myself in a cave I think I will try an ISO of maybe 400 to 800 and reduce the shutter speed.

Sam
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Caves are difficult to shoot in. I checked your EXIF data and saw we took different approaches to the camera settings than I did.

You used high ISO and a faster shutter speed. I used ISO 100 and let the shutter speed fall were ever it needed to be.

The next time I find myself in a cave I think I will try an ISO of maybe 400 to 800 and reduce the shutter speed.

Sam

Were you there?
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2015
    Amazing and beautiful. Thanks for sharing these.
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2015
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2015
    Wow Jack, these are fantastic. Love the reflections that one doesn't normally see. Great compositions. Well done! clap.gifthumb
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2015
    Eia wrote: »
    Were you there?

No, but I shot at Natural Bridges Caverns out side San Antonio TX, and a small cave in the Mojave.

Natural Bridges Caverns were interesting the outside temps were about 60 degrees and inside it was very warm and had a humidity of about 98%. That fogged up my glasses and lens something awful.

I did visit Carlsbad Caverns pre DSL. At That point in time I had to have someone tell me to use 800 film for my point and shoot. :-) photographically didn't work out all that well but what a place!

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2015
    Boy, Jack, that's some mighty impressive shooting. It's one thing to have subjects like this, the real show, however, is having the skills to generate images as captivating as this grouping. Well done.clap.gif

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Tom. Appreciate your comments as always.

Jack
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2015
    Sam wrote: »

Sam

Hi Sam thanks for looking in.

Jack
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Amazing and beautiful. Thanks for sharing these.

Thanks for looking in Don. It really was an awesome experience, glad you enjoyed them.

Jack
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2015
    great optical illusion. It's also nice to see that they use a more natural color lighting than some caverns.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 5, 2015
    These are very cool, Jack. Very nice details and lighting. thumb.gif