Options

Snake River Overlook

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited January 24, 2015 in Landscapes
This is one from my four week road trip this past fall. C&C welcomed and appreciated.

IMG_5292-2-L.jpg

Phil
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2015
    Hi Phil, I really like the cloud action and peaks and its nice b&w processing!

I know square crops are gaining popularity these days, but I like as shot, true landscapes more.
    The base of the peak is prominent, and acting like horizon, so I would have used it to straighten it, but then I see that foreground is straight so tilt in peaks is natural.
    So at least I would have lost the foreground grass, and used the base of the peaks to straighten it.
    The snake river is bit lost due to lack of difference in tones.

Nice shot overall!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hi Phil, I really like the cloud action and peaks and its nice b&w processing!

I know square crops are gaining popularity these days, but I like as shot, true landscapes more.
    The base of the peak is prominent, and acting like horizon, so I would have used it to straighten it, but then I see that foreground is straight so tilt in peaks is natural.
    So at least I would have lost the foreground grass, and used the base of the peaks to straighten it.
    The snake river is bit lost due to lack of difference in tones.

Nice shot overall!thumb.gif

As always, thanks for the feedback. I went with the square crop because I wanted to emphasize the gap in the mountains and the clouds seemingly flowing out of the center. I chose the grass as the foreground because of the texture. I also didn't want the trees springing out of the bottom of the print with no apparent anchoring and to indicate I was looking across a broad river basin from one plateau to another.

Here is the complete frame.

IMG_5292-2-L.jpg

Phil

• Options
    edited January 19, 2015
    Excellent! I love the full frame and completely get why you went with square crop! The clouds emanating from the gap was noticed and still noticeable. I also get why foreground grass was left...probably would have done the same... I like the fuller version even more!thumb.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 22, 2015
    I like the full-frame shot too. The foreground trees to the right are tilting right. That combined with the horizon line under the mountains sure makes the shot look tilted, even though it may not be. I'll often "cheat" the horizon straight in circumstances like this to keep the know-it-alls from commenting (present company excluded of course! :D )
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    I like the full-frame shot too. The foreground trees to the right are tilting right. That combined with the horizon line under the mountains sure makes the shot look tilted, even though it may not be. I'll often "cheat" the horizon straight in circumstances like this to keep the know-it-alls from commenting (present company excluded of course! :D )

Its only cheating if you admit it! Okay!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2015
    Pretty much sums up 'Stumblebum' mentioned (square vs landscape, and including foreground. I might tone down the sky (brightness) a bit, but that's just my personal preference.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2015
    kdog wrote: »

Thanks for looking and commenting. Fairly sure everything was level because I was set up to shoot a series of verticals for a pano. I understand the "fudging" of the horizon, have done it myself.
    Pretty much sums up 'Stumblebum' mentioned (square vs landscape, and including foreground. I might tone down the sky (brightness) a bit, but that's just my personal preference.

Thanks, I'll look into your suggestion.