Options

First Real Print

bbentleyphotobbentleyphoto Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited September 5, 2016 in Landscapes
_RKB7849-Pano_SM%20copy_A%20copy_zpsadi9tzml.jpg

So I'm going to get this printed, mounted and framed at a good lab. Still not finished working on it there's a few spots I need to fix. I have a buyer that wants 3 prints but I'm not exactly sure what to charge her. What is a fair price for prints these days? This will be 30"x10", its really crisp at that size and you can read the text on the buildings ect. This is my first attempt to try to sell some of my work so I have a lot to learn.

I really loved this shot as the slight breeze coupled with a slower shutter speed made the water come out perfect. Looks dreamy and cool to me. Took me a few shots to get the shutter speed right but I liked this. Two frame panorama cropped for 3:1 format.

This second shot is one of my favorite sunsets from Coronado, CA taken this winter.
The rays were screaming through the clouds that day. I'm also going to print this one larger, at about 30"x20" and I have a buyer lined up for it. Again, I'm not sure what to charge her.

_RKB8435_sunset%20copy_logo_zpsa7lwq9kv.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2016
    Its nice~ The saturation seems to be too strong especially on right side.....it is matter of taste though...
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2016
    I agree with Taz, great sharp shot, but the light in the far right seems artificial due to possible overcooked saturation. Could just be our monitors!

Please report back on what you sell it for though, quite interested to know! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Its nice~ The saturation seems to be too strong especially on right side.....it is matter of taste though...
    I calibrate with a spyder but I could be doing it wrong I guess. I took this in to the lab and the owner said my file actually looked a little muddy on his screen. So we actually added 1/3 stop exposure and an few contrast. That is this file here. The print came out well I think as I shot and edited this with the artistic vision I saw in my head.
    I can shoot technically good headshots ect or I can shoot stuff with dramatic lighting and try and be artistic. More times people like the artistic stuff, but then again the people I'm dealing with aren't photographers :D
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2016
    I agree with Taz, great sharp shot, but the light in the far right seems artificial due to possible overcooked saturation. Could just be our monitors!

Please report back on what you sell it for though, quite interested to know! thumb.gif

It's probably my monitor. Not sure I'm calibrating right. The first print came out ok though I did see some stuff right away that needs to be fixed before I print the other 3 :D Maybe a little over cooked but not blown out or anything. The print doesn't look as bright as it does here on the computer. And the metallic paper complements it nicely. But I'll work on it some more before I print the other copies. Thank you guys for the feed back. Much appreciated.

_RKB3123%20copy_zpsmxflrlxg.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    _RKB7849-Pano_cleaned%20copy_zps0otx7fqb.jpg

Updated image. Didn't add much saturation, in the single digits. And I fixed some hot spots around the buildings where I burned them in a 1/3 stop.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2016
    Congrats on your sales. Two awesome images!!! Our monitors always look a little brighter than our prints. Calibrate them often, but sometimes the prints still turn-out a little darker.
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2016
    Looks great!! Inspires me to take that "next step" and print my work!!! Thank you!!! --Carter
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2016
    This is why I like to use a printer who color / wb calibrates for their printing. All print machines are a bit different, and when a print company takes time to match things up, it saves a bit of headache.

Beautiful images by the way!!
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2016
    Looks great framed and on the wall!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,830 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2016
    ...The print doesn't look as bright as it does here on the computer. ...

Question: are you sending you photo to the printer as RGB jpeg or CMYK tiff, and is the printer using a 3-color or 4-color process? If you are sending a RGB jpg and they are converting and printing using CMYK then this could easily cause the colors to seem dull when printed. When I print my annual calendars I know the printer uses a CMYK process. I convert the photos to CMYK in Photoshop and readjust the color in the pictures.