Options

How was this effect achieved?

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited October 22, 2014 in People
Here's a shot of a girl posing in front of the torah with her proud parents from a Bat Mitzvah that I shot on Saturday.

Any guesses as to how this effect was achieved? (We'll get to the "why" a little later...)

i-mDBtf4V-XL.jpg

I think it looks a bit like an impressionist painting.

Here's the original for comparison.

i-LNgrdKg-XL.jpg

Major kudos to anyone that can guess how that effect was achieved. :deal

Comments

• Options
    amitgamitg Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2014
    I liked it. I would like more eyes details though.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2014
    amitg wrote: »
    I liked it. I would like more eyes details though.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2014
    Ok, here's the backstory. I shot this Bat Mitzvah which started off with morning formals, ceremony and a luncheon. I had a few hours to kill between the luncheon and the evening reception. So I went home, unloaded my cards, and quickly selected a photo from the formals to print and frame so that I could bring it to the reception as a gift. The parents always love it and it's good marketing for me for all the other families to see. Of course I was in a hurry and when you're in a hurry mistakes happen. Imagine my surprise when the print starting coming out of the printer looking like that. :yikes

I figured I was screwed, but after some investigation I discovered my mistake which I was able to correct and got my print. :whew

Come on, somebody has to have made the same mistake before, or at least willing to take a guess before I give it up. deal.gif
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    I've never experienced it, but it is a pretty cool effect. Doesn't look like a resolution issue. My guess would be that the wrong format was used when sent to the printer, like maybe a desktop icon or button??
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    You printed on the wrong side of the paper....? (damhik rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    While I myself never make mistakes...............rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifit looks like you left plain paper in the printer.

Sam
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    That's my guess too...
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    THE WINNER!!! clap.gifclapclap.gifdrums.gifwings.gifbarbwings.gif

Runner up is Moose135.

Yes, that image with the effect is a picture of the print. Man, I'll tell ya. When I saw that come off the printer in full 12x18 resolution, with only minutes to spare to get it framed and out the door, I felt ill. And boy did I feel stupid when I figured it out. I'm still flabbergasted at the effect. Unbelievable. It's like a massive local contrast enhancement or something.

Thanks to everyone who played. thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    If you'd said it was a PRINT in your first post I'd have got it right away - I did this in error when I was battling the new printer a couple of weeks ago, so knew exactly what it was as soon as you mentioned paper!!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif