Watermark Size

leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
edited November 11, 2016 in SmugMug Support
I can't seem to find another thread on this so I thought I'd post this question and hopefully it's not a repeat.

I have a PNG image that I've uploaded and set as a Watermark.

When I set my images to be watermarked with this image, the size of the PNG image is completely blown up to the point of making my images look really ugly. The watermark being displayed is clearly larger than my original PNG. How do I get the size to be right? Do I have to shrink my original PNG image so that the watermark when blown up isn't as big?

Here's an example of the watermark looking awfully big: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Photography/Other/16798640_hKqb2b#1321354325_DzWXtgk

Thanks
dGrin Afficionado
Former SmugMug Product Team
aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2011
    Hi,

Thanks for the report. I've passed the details on to our QA team to check into this more closely. If this isn't behaving as it should be (it looks like this to me), our QA team will take care of reporting it on to our engineers. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    Any update on this? never got a reply back :(
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
    edited September 8, 2011
    I reported the issue back then and there's no update on this yet. We're aware of it and are watching it, but I can't say when our engineers will be able to address that particular issue as we're working on many other projects that are higher on our list that we're sure will make many users happy.
    I can understand that this issue may be bugging you, but I can't give you any estimate on when this particular issue might be resolved.
    As a workaround, you can create a new watermark 1600x1066 pixel in canvas size (just being transparent) and position your watermark in its original size wherever you'd like it to be. That full size watermark will prevent your watermark from getting resized beyond its original size.
    The downside is that you'll need a separate full size watermark for the portrait orientation photos.

I just noticed that you allow your original files to be viewed in the above gallery you linked to. That allows visitors to download your originals for free without a watermark. If you don't want that, you'll need to set 'largest size' to anything else than original in the gallery settings > security&privacy section.
    Read more on gallery settings here:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93307-gallery-settings
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ilopixilopix Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2011
    I have the same issue but was told a while back there's no workaround (and I'm not wanting to manage different watermarks for different orientations). My watermark is a 225px × 42px PNG, but depending on the view it's up-sized to be much larger than I prefer. It would be ideal in Control Panel -> Watermarks dialog to have a % slider/setting similar to Fade where we can visually shrink the watermark, for example to never exceed xx% of it's original size? Not sure if that'll work.

Ilona Berzups
    www.ilophotography.com
    edited September 27, 2011
    Watermark Size: still need help ...
    I didn't find any replies or other threads on this. I would like my watermark to be smaller than the size Smug makes it. I've even uploaded a small PNG at 150px wide, yet the watermark still gets upsized to be larger, more than I want. A great feature would be a slider like the fade to set the percentage of the original (eg. never exceed x %). In lieu of that is there some custom jscript or css to get this fix in?

www.ilophotography.com
    edited September 27, 2011
    The only workaround I'm currently aware of would be to make your watermark canvas larger. You can keep the watermark the same size, but put it on a 1600 pixel wide transparent image and use that as your watermark. It shouldn't get upsized anymore.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited September 28, 2011
    The only workaround I'm currently aware of would be to make your watermark canvas larger. You can keep the watermark the same size, but put it on a 1600 pixel wide transparent image and use that as your watermark. It shouldn't get upsized anymore.

Ah! Yes, that's a great idea, I'll give that a try. Thank you!
    edited September 29, 2011
    ilopix wrote: »
    Ah! Yes, that's a great idea, I'll give that a try. Thank you!

It worked, sort of ... it looks great on landscape but tiny in portrait mode, and super tiny in portrait on my laptop. This means I'd have to manage different watermarks for different orientations which I don't want to do, there a hundreds of images in a gallery and finding/selection all in one orientation and then another is a lot of work. I'm going to try to make the PNG "tall" instead of "wide" and see how that works.
    It worked, sort of ... it looks great on landscape but tiny in portrait mode, and super tiny in portrait on my laptop. This means I'd have to manage different watermarks for different orientations which I don't want to do, there a hundreds of images in a gallery and finding/selection all in one orientation and then another is a lot of work. I'm going to try to make the PNG "tall" instead of "wide" and see how that works.

Nope, didn't work ... there's no way I can see to do this without managing two sets of watermarks. Ick.
    Nope, didn't work ... there's no way I can see to do this without managing two sets of watermarks. Ick.
    Yes, I'm currently not aware of another way. Sorry.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • codyjbennettcodyjbennett Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    One thing that I did in order to circumvent the resized watermark was to create a square watermark plate (1600x1600) with my watermark in the lower part of the square; this meant that the watermark size remains consistent.

Wide: http://photos.codyjbennett.com/Fine-Art/2011/16173950_5GFcts#1499235847_2kN6cdg-A-LB
    Tall: http://photos.codyjbennett.com/Fine-Art/2011/16173950_5GFcts#1484066571_CvKHhbJ-A-LB

Granted, because of the display of images on the screen it might _seem_ that the watermarks are differently sized, but in fact they have the same pixel widths (on the print) between the above examples.

All that being said, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see an ability to create a watermark in a corner that scales appropriately, much like the original post had lamented. So far, I've been using Lightroom to watermark images to use on my blog, but that is a fairly inefficient practice to have to output a different image rather than just using a resized SM image.
  • TheAofDNATheAofDNA Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 27, 2012
    I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed.
    I mean. You'd think it wouldn't be difficult to just not upsize the original file.

PLEASE SM it seems that you guys aren't doing the simple things correctly. I now find this feature completely unusable as I'm sure others do too.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    DNA,

Are you experiencing this issue? If so, can you please email me the png you are using? mbonocore@smugmug.com

Thanks!

Michael
  • scouserdavescouserdave Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 26, 2016
    One thing that I did in order to circumvent the resized watermark was to create a square watermark plate (1600x1600) with my watermark in the lower part of the square; this meant that the watermark size remains consistent.

Wide: http://photos.codyjbennett.com/Fine-Art/2011/16173950_5GFcts#1499235847_2kN6cdg-A-LB
    Tall: http://photos.codyjbennett.com/Fine-Art/2011/16173950_5GFcts#1484066571_CvKHhbJ-A-LB

Granted, because of the display of images on the screen it might _seem_ that the watermarks are differently sized, but in fact they have the same pixel widths (on the print) between the above examples.

All that being said, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see an ability to create a watermark in a corner that scales appropriately, much like the original post had lamented. So far, I've been using Lightroom to watermark images to use on my blog, but that is a fairly inefficient practice to have to output a different image rather than just using a resized SM image.
    Over 4 years on and we still have this issue. I only registered to thank Cody for his workaround suggestion.
  • p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2016
  • ksuttleksuttle Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2016
    Any updates on this issue. I've been having to apply different watermarks based on image orientation for years now. Lightroom has a proportional % feature that would be very handy in Smugmug. It is very time consuming to have to selectively apply watermarks to 100's of images in a gallery.
  • TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2016
    I am very sorry but we do not have any updates on this issue. The workarounds will still have to be used if you need different sized watermarks on different images. I am sorry for any problems this causes you.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • offcamberoffcamber Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2016
    So FIVE years after this was first reported Smugmug still hasn't addressed? Glad I decided to check before renewing my Pro account that is due next month. Time to shop around.
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 19, 2016
    offcamber wrote: »
    So FIVE years after this was first reported Smugmug still hasn't addressed? Glad I decided to check before renewing my Pro account that is due next month. Time to shop around.

I will point out that I was the Original Poster, 3 years before I started working at SmugMug, and I'm now our Director of Product. If it gives you any encouragement, the person who wanted this enough to post about it, is in charge of the priorities of projects we work on.
    dGrin Afficionado
  • GlasgowGlasgow Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    I will point out that I was the Original Poster, 3 years before I started working at SmugMug, and I'm now our Director of Product. If it gives you any encouragement, the person who wanted this enough to post about it, is in charge of the priorities of projects we work on.

So... any update on when we can expect it?

I recently had a logo created primarily for this purpose and was excited to finally upload it... then came across this issue :(

Even is as a hack we could upload a few watermarks to suit different image ratios is Smugmug automatically assigned the most appropriate one, I'd be happy enough with that.
    edited November 11, 2016
    Hi there,
    We don't have a way to provide you with a time frame on when we might be able to resolve this. What you could do, is check out the workaround from Cody on the first page. You can create different transparent canvases depending on your photo ratios and then place the watermark in the desired location on the canvas.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero