Options

Folder setting so that new galleries inherit appropriate gallery style and pricelist?

jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited August 18, 2016 in SmugMug Support
Can someone point me to instructions on where to make settings for a folder so that the 100 new galleries we are creating in that folder (one by one by one by one.....) automatically inherit the correct gallery style, including price list?
JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
"Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Comments

• Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 16, 2016
    Hey JCDILL,

The best way to do this is by opening your folder in the organizer → select your folder → click SETTINGS → choose ALL GALLERIES WITHIN FOLDER - see my screenshot:

http://take.ms/vEcVM

This will allow you to apply your settings to all galleries within this folder.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Hey JCDILL,

The best way to do this is by opening your folder in the organizer → select your folder → click SETTINGS → choose ALL GALLERIES WITHIN FOLDER - see my screenshot:

http://take.ms/vEcVM

This will allow you to apply your settings to all galleries within this folder.

This is backwards. I need the galleries to inherit AS THEY ARE CREATED not later. Otherwise the default (SmugMug default, sales at no profit) is set and eager customers who find their photos uploaded can get them free during the time it takes to upload 400+ galleries of 30-40 photos each.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2016
    Yes, it is backwards. As you are creating a gallery AND before uploading the images, you can go to the Quick Settings menu in the Settings and apply whatever set of previously created properties you wish. This way the gallery will be created the way you want it to be and you won't spend extra time setting all the things for each gallery.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    photoclick wrote: »
    Yes, it is backwards. As you are creating a gallery AND before uploading the images, you can go to the Quick Settings menu in the Settings and apply whatever set of previously created properties you wish. This way the gallery will be created the way you want it to be and you won't spend extra time setting all the things for each gallery.

Doing that 400 times as we upload 400 galleries is incredibly time consuming and tedious. Computers can be programmed to automate this type of tedium.

In the old SmugMug format we had galleries within galleries (not folders) so you could set permissions on the parent gallery and all new galleries would automatically inherit. I can't believe that this functionality was removed.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    You still need to create a gallery 400 times, correct? It means you will click: Create > Gallery > Type the gallery's Title. You will do these steps 400 times... in Old smugmug in new smugmug, in any other platform:) So, please, do one extra step > go to last menu called Quick Settings and select whatever set of settings you have created and saved previously. Do you think it is a reasonable solution?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    You still need to create a gallery 400 times, correct? It means you will click: Create > Gallery > Type the gallery's Title. You will do these steps 400 times... in Old smugmug in new smugmug, in any other platform:) So, please, do one extra step > go to last menu called Quick Settings and select whatever set of settings you have created and saved previously. Do you think it is a reasonable solution?

No. It's 800 extra clicks to select the drop down then the setting. It should be automatic, not 800 unnecessary tedious steps.

It SHOULD be possible to just upload a batch of folders (with photos) into the right folder on SmugMug and have it automatically create galleries using folder names, and with the photos inside each gallery, all with the right settings inherited from the parent folder. It should be a 1-step drag and drop, done.

Instead:

Click cloud icon
    Select upload to new gallery
    Switch to finder
    Select and copy folder name
    Switch to browser
    Paste folder name
    Select settings option
    Select gallery settings
    Click on create
    Switch to finder
    Select files
    Drag into browser
    Wait for files to upload
    Click X to close upload overlay
    Wait for page I don't need to see to download so I can click the cloud to start to upload next gallery

FOUR HUNDRED TIMES

TEDIOUS, yes?

Why is it necessary to do so many unnecessary steps 400 times instead of having better automation?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    I don't know. Have you tried searching for an image hosting provider with a better than Smugmug's automation? You will actually need to do it only one time.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2016
    I see two options for setting new galleries price list.
    Under "SELL" at top of EACH new gallery set that gallery pricing. It is not in the "galleries settings".
    or the only bulk available is in Manage Pricelists. There you can select all the new galleries in one step for a pricelist.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    I don't know. Have you tried searching for an image hosting provider with a better than Smugmug's automation? You will actually need to do it only one time.

If only it were that easy. I'm working with another photographer who uses SmugMug. I have no choice of the platform.

It really surprises me that I'm being told "go away" instead of "you're right, there tedious and bad design, SmugMug should fix it".
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    You were offered two ways of doing what you need. You do not like, and rightfully so, both ways. I suggested there might be other platforms that are better than Smugmug. If you want to treat it as being told "to go away" that is your prerogative as well. I say the words - it is your business how you take and interpret them :) I do not work for SM, so I really do not have to be politically correct:) I am speaking my mind - what you want is non-existent in the Smugmug's platform as far as I know at present moment. If you absolutely need right now - then I still tell you to go look at other systems. However, there might be a possibility that some third-party plugins exist that might do bulk upload. I am not aware of any.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    You were offered two ways of doing what you need. You do not like, and rightfully so, both ways. I suggested there might be other platforms that are better than Smugmug. If you want to treat it as being told "to go away" that is your prerogative as well. I say the words - it is your business how you take and interpret them :) I do not work for SM, so I really do not have to be politically correct:) I am speaking my mind - what you want is non-existent in the Smugmug's platform as far as I know at present moment. If you absolutely need right now - then I still tell you to go look at other systems. However, there might be a possibility that some third-party plugins exist that might do bulk upload. I am not aware of any.

What I asked for was a way to make the workflow go faster without sacrificing site security. I was not offered any solution that does that. All the solutions offered either take just as many clicks (or more) or leave the galleries wide open for buying photos at cost, neither is an improvement or acceptable alternative. I'm baffled how you can claim the answers provided me with anything useful.
  • Options
    VivPixVivPix Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2016
    Hi JCDILL,

If I am understanding what you want to do, I have a suggestion :)

You can use the "Quick Settings" feature found in the Gallery Settings to set up a template for your frequently used settings.
    To use that, go to a gallery that has the settings you use frequently. Then, in the Gallery Settings, go to "Quick Settings" and give it a name under "Save as New Quick Setting"

Then, when you later create a new gallery you can select the one you've named by going to the Gallery Settings, then go to Quick Settings and select the name of your saved quick setting.

I've made a screenshot example of this for you here... https://monosnap.com/file/coYnzKtLd9I0Z7qcRB4XigFUtU2bEL
    Here's our Help Page about using Quick Settings... http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/723826-can-i-save-gallery-settings-as-a-template-?b_id=1644

Now, having said that, you will still need to add the gallery to your pricelist. But I hope this has helped!
    Thanks,

Vivian
    SmugMug Hero
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2016
    This is exactly what I offered and the OP rejected it as unacceptable.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2016
    When Smug changed to the new design they moved pricelist out of gallery settings and you now have
    to click "SELL" to find the setting for each gallery. So selecting a saved Quick Settings will not work anymore.

In Manage Pricelists set the "default" pricelist to the one with your prices so any new gallery will automatically get that setting.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2016
    VivPix wrote: »
    Hi JCDILL,

If I am understanding what you want to do, I have a suggestion :)

You can use the "Quick Settings" feature found in the Gallery Settings to set up a template for your frequently used settings.
    To use that, go to a gallery that has the settings you use frequently. Then, in the Gallery Settings, go to "Quick Settings" and give it a name under "Save as New Quick Setting"

Then, when you later create a new gallery you can select the one you've named by going to the Gallery Settings, then go to Quick Settings and select the name of your saved quick setting.

I've made a screenshot example of this for you here... https://monosnap.com/file/coYnzKtLd9I0Z7qcRB4XigFUtU2bEL
    Here's our Help Page about using Quick Settings... http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/723826-can-i-save-gallery-settings-as-a-template-?b_id=1644

Now, having said that, you will still need to add the gallery to your pricelist. But I hope this has helped!

Vivian, that's two clicks per gallery times 400 galleries, 3 times a year (and to be frank, it's part of why I don't do more of this work as it could be 20-30 times a year), to accomplish something that SHOULD simply be set at the parent (folder) level once. Do you not understand how tedious, annoying, frustrating it is that this hasn't yet been implemented?

What is infuriating is that each new gallery defaults to "SmugMug default" which lets YOU sell OUR photos at your profitable price point (for you) cutting us out of OUR profit. Why can't we set a site wide "account default" and have THAT be the default. Why do we have to specify each time to use OUR prices, not yours?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2016
    Why don't you create your price list with the prices that you like and set that price list to be the DEFAULT? I think ti is very much possible with Smugmug.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited August 18, 2016
    jcdill wrote: »
    What is infuriating is that each new gallery defaults to "SmugMug default" which lets YOU sell OUR photos at your profitable price point (for you) cutting us out of OUR profit. Why can't we set a site wide "account default" and have THAT be the default. Why do we have to specify each time to use OUR prices, not yours?
    If you have a business account you can set one of your pricelists as the default pricelist.
    For a portfolio account you would need to specify one of your pricelists as the active pricelist.

It may be confusing though - when you are logged in to your account you see the smugmug prices because that is what you would be charged if you purchased one of your own photos. Your clients would see your default prices. (I just verified this behavior on one of my photos - when I'm logged in I see smug default prices, when I'm not logged in I see my specified default prices.)

If you want to change to a different pricelist as the default, edit that pricelist and click the checkbox to make it the default.

--- Denise