Wedding shots

jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
edited February 6, 2008 in Weddings
My husband and I shoot weddings together (he's the real photographer, I just push a button on the 2nd camera and help with posing)... this is my first post here...

1 247802749-M-2.jpg

2 247820497-M-1.jpg

3 247821480-M-1.jpg

4 247827281-M-1.jpg

5 247836982-M-1.jpg

(No flash allowed during ceremony)

6 247849143-M-1.jpg

7 [IMG][/IMG]

8 247857337-M-1.jpg

9 247843267-M-1.jpg

10 247875468-M-1.jpg

11 247883731-M-1.jpg

12 252785055_nwiLm-M-1.jpg

Full album:

[URL="http://www.jasonscottphoto.com/Sarasota-Wedding-Photos/2008/Jason-and-Megan/4235249_bGoJK]http://www.jasonscottphoto.com/Sarasota-Wedding-Photos/2008/Jason-and-Megan/4235249_bGoJK[/URL]
Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Let me be the first to welcome you to DGrin! You have some very nice shots here.

#4 - I usually don't like the "line 'em up and shoot 'em" poses, but this one has a very nice friendly fell to it.

#5 - Love the little guy running down the isle. This was probably a hurried shot, but would have been so much cooler if you had had the time to get down on his level. Still, very cute shot of a cute little guy!

#6 - Too bad about the restriction on no flash. Could have been much worse. I've done weddings where there was no photography allowed during the ceremony. We had to re-create the poses after the actual ceremony.

#10 - I've not seen this pose before (B&G kissing near the alter). I may have to "steal" this idea from you.

#11 - I like this shot. Could use some horizon leveling and a little but more fill, but cool.

#12 - This one is so much better and much better done as well. Love it!
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    I really like the last one. As far as no flash goes---to be honest it's been the standard that I've come across. Well, the standard for indoor Catholic/Christian ceremonies. I thought it's what most Churches required...no?ne_nau.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    I really like the last one. As far as no flash goes---to be honest it's been the standard that I've come across. Well, the standard for indoor Catholic/Christian ceremonies. I thought it's what most Churches required...no?ne_nau.gif
    Some have allowed, some have forbidden it. It varies. I usually sidestep that if I can and set up assuming that I won't have flash available. But, I always ask the officiant about his "house rules" just in case they want to throw a curve ball.
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Here's a question to those of you that are more seasoned wedding photogs than I....

Images 11-12, obviously not taken at the church but at a golf course...beautiful by the way.......when are you able to take these? I have found that dealing with brides, most don't want the groom to see them before hand......and after people are waiting for the reception, so to get through the shots they want with family etc.....when do you suggest taking these type shots? I love the shots of just Bride and Groom with a gorgeous background, or out in a field of flowers etc....but trying to work with a couple to get them shot is a whole other story.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:
    Here's a question to those of you that are more seasoned wedding photogs than I....

Images 11-12, obviously not taken at the church but at a golf course...beautiful by the way.......when are you able to take these? I have found that dealing with brides, most don't want the groom to see them before hand......and after people are waiting for the reception, so to get through the shots they want with family etc.....when do you suggest taking these type shots? I love the shots of just Bride and Groom with a gorgeous background, or out in a field of flowers etc....but trying to work with a couple to get them shot is a whole other story.
    First off, let me say that I do not consider myself a 'seasoned' wedding photographer. I've been involved in a fair share..but far from where I want to be. Anyways...For these specifically, I would imagine they were taken after the ceremony and before the reception. Since she does have the bouquet in hand. Just a guess. That's really the only time to do it in the midst of the busy wedding day. I've never suggested doing it before the ceremony on the day of. Even if you did and they agreed to---you don't want to be the one that asked them too see each other before the ceremony--haha. As a matter of fact, at the last wedding I did, the bride and groom each had people following them and reporting their locations so that there would be no chance they would see each other. You should talk to the couple when they book you about shooting times. You don't want to be on the day of looking for opportunities to take posed shots. Remember that your job is just as important as any other event during the day. They did afterall hire you to do a job. Talk to the couple about a time that works best (I usually do right after the ceremony). Another option would be to do a posed set and that could be done on any other day(but this takes up more of your time). Just my .02 but i'd also like to hear what others think about this.ne_nau.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    In my (limited) experience, about half of my couples request to do shots before the ceremony, which require them to see each other. Modern couples seem to not be as superstitious as in the past, and considering many of them have lived together, may already have children together, the "old" way just isn't relevant.

When asked for my opinion, I simply show them galleries from weddings where the couples' shots were "crammed in", versus the ones where we had some relaxed time beforehand to produce a unique variety of images. That usually wins them over. If not, I just let them know that keeping group/family shots to a minimum is of utmost importance.

The funny thing is...two of my couples that insisted on not seeing each other beforehand, but a VERY short time for photos after the ceremony so as not to keep their guests "waiting"....cruised around in the limo getting wasted for an hour! :) It all comes down to aligning your deliverables with the b&g's priorities.

ETA:
    There are some nice images in this thread, I really like the motion in #7, and the pose in #11. I am not a fan of smooshing faces though...I like how she's smiling at him in that one! But man, the lighting and background in 12 is amazing, as others have noted!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Shudderz wrote:

The reception was at a golf course :)

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    edited January 31, 2008

#6 - Too bad about the restriction on no flash. Could have been much worse. I've done weddings where there was no photography allowed during the ceremony. We had to re-create the poses after the actual ceremony.

The lighting in this particular church was excellent. Big spotlights, etc.

edited January 31, 2008
    Here's another cool one from this wedding (no people in it though)

247882132-M-1.jpg

edited January 31, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    , I really like the motion in #7

I took that one :):) I also took the one with the smoke coming off the candles. I think all the rest were taken by my husband.

edited January 31, 2008
    But, I always ask the officiant about his "house rules" just in case they want to throw a curve ball.

That's what we do too - all churches are different.

• Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Love #12 - Great Shot. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I think I might have to steal the Bride & Groom kissing infront of the alter as well - hehe
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com