Anyone own a Pocket Wizard?

RikkiRikki Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited October 18, 2007 in Accessories
I've been looking at the Pocket Wizard Plus II seen here http://www.pocketwizard.com/HTML/plus2_features.asp

Question is, can I get this and would it trigger my Canon 430EX and Sigma Super 500DG? I'm looking for a flash/umbrella combo with the Pocket Wizard and I think this might work.

Anyone know? Thanks.

Rikki

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    My suggestion would be to call or email Pocket Wizard and ask them....their tech dept.....get the info straight from the horses mouth so to speak...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Yes, but not by itself. You'll probably need some sort of hot-shoe adapter. Run a cord from the PW to the adapter, slide the flash unit onto the adapter, set the flash to some manual mode (D'oh) and you're all set.
  • HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    As far as the 430 is concerned, Scott is right. The 430 has no sync port on it. The pocket wizard has an 1/8th inch sync jack and uses this to fire whatever it's attached to.

BTW if you are at all handy with a soldering iron, or want to learn, I would suggest making your own cables for it. The cables they sell for the PW's are stupidly expensive, and they are nothing special. You can make them yourself for just a few bucks each. Even if you have to buy a soldering iron and accesories you could still make your cables cheaper than buying ONE from a retailer.

My cables are all custom lengths and color coded too. You can't get that from PW.

HTH!
    -=Tim=-
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 11, 2007
    Paramount sells a hot shoe to PW mini-plug adapter - I have one at home and it works fine with EOS speedlites in Manual mode on the flash.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Skyports
    Take a look at the Elinchrom Skyport triggers as well. They will save you quite a bit of money over the Pocket Wizards. I put up a small review here.
  • dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    i've got 3 pw ii+ transceivers and can attest they're great to have. the guys are right though, you'll need some sort of hotshoe adapter if the flash units do not have a sync port. these custom cables can get pricey if you're buying several of them...

the elinchrom skyport units are substantially less expensive than the pw's. however they do have dedicated transmitter and receiver units as opposed to dual-purpose transceivers.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto