Pocket Wizard Flex for Nikon, need help

JMichaelKJMichaelK Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited May 31, 2011 in Technique
Anyone use Pocket Wizard flex for Nikon?
Been waiting for these for over a year and finally got a set on Friday. I want to use them with multiple speed lights, up to 8 at a time. I did a lot of research on the web to find out how, since Pocket Wizard does not provide detailed instructions with the units. Anyway I figured it out and set it up a couple of times at home so I would be ready for using them at a wedding. Went to a wedding yesterday, set up six speed lights for the reception using the new Flex units and several older pocket wizards. It worked perfect. Then right when the guests are arriving at the reception it quits working. I had a back up plan, so it was easy to switch gears. The reason I went with the Flex units is because of their compatability with the older units. I have four of the older PWs and did not to invest in a new system. I have heard about the problems, but figured I was smart enough to make it work, guess I'm not so smart. Anyone out there use PW Flex units for Nikon and have any tips for using them with older PWs? I can get all of the older units to fire, just can't get the TT5 unit to fire.
J. Michael Krouskop
http://belmontphoto.smugmug.com/
http:/weddingphotonashville.com
Nikon D700 (3 bodies), Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24 f/1.4, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 50 f/1.4, Nikon 85 f/1.4, Nikon 70-200 f/2.g VRII, SB-900(2), SB-800(5)

Comments

• JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    First of all let me just say that you have some crazy nice gear there listed in your profile. I don't use pocket wizzard but troubleshooting is troubleshooting. So...
    Anyway I figured it out and set it up a couple of times at home so I would be ready for using them at a wedding
    Sounds like your setup worked ok here.
    Went to a wedding yesterday, set up six speed lights for the reception using the new Flex units and several older pocket wizards. It worked perfect.
    Sounds like the setup worked good here as well.
    Then right when the guests are arriving at the reception it quits working.
    What quits working? one trigger or the whole setup?
    Been waiting for these for over a year and finally got a set on Friday
    I am thinking that since you just got these new triggers and had set them up successfully with the old triggers at home and again at the reception something simple went amiss and due to lack of time and experience with the somewhat new configurations and the pressure of the big moment that there is probably nothing wrong with the wizzards. It may be just practice is what is needed to build trust in the new/old/unfamiliar setup.

If you can provide more detail of what went wrong with the PW's at the wedding or what troubles you are currently having with them it would be helpful in resolving the issues.