Options

Restrict Caption length

flieger28flieger28 Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
edited February 2, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Hi,

i have a site with a few galleries and from Time to time i like to put many Infos under a picture. But i wonder if there is an option to cut the text. I would like to have a maximum number of characters on the Gallery Page, kind of a preview. The whole text should only be seen when watching the particular photo. Right now it looks not really nice. Is there a way?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2015
    You can disable the info display below a photo. From within a gallery, go to customize > "content and design". There, hold your mouse over the gallery content and click the wrench button. Now click on the gallery style that you use in you gallery and you'll be presented with the settings for it. Adjust the info style setting as you'd like. Setting it to off, should hide the captions below the photo tiles.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2015
    It's either show or not show the caption for a photo. But hiding parts of the caption can be done with CSS.

In the caption using html add a span around what you don't want to show.
    text

Then in CSS add two rules, one to "display:none" everywhere and another to turn it back on
    for lightbox.

Down side, you'd have to edit every caption you'd want this to apply.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    flieger28flieger28 Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    Thanks Allen and rainforest
    Finally i choose the version rainforested posted. Even I like Allens fix, and in my opinion it is the smarter one, Allens resolution is not a care free solution.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    There's some things that could be done to limit it and add a "show more" button ... using code similar to:
    .sm-gallery .sm-tiles-grid .sm-tile .sm-tile-caption {
        height: 9em !important;
        overflow: hidden;
        line-height: 1.5em;
        position:relative;
    }
    .sm-gallery .sm-tile .sm-tile-caption:after {
        background-color: white;
        padding-left:4em;
        display:block;
        position:absolute;
        bottom:0;
        right:0;
        color:#FF2050;
        content:"Read more »";
        background: -moz-linear-gradient(left,  rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 25%);
        background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, right top, color-stop(0%,rgba(255,255,255,0)), color-stop(25%,rgba(255,255,255,1)));
        background: -webkit-linear-gradient(left,  rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%,rgba(255,255,255,1) 25%);
        background: -o-linear-gradient(left,  rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%,rgba(255,255,255,1) 25%);
        background: -ms-linear-gradient(left,  rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%,rgba(255,255,255,1) 25%);
        background: linear-gradient(to right,  rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%,rgba(255,255,255,1) 25%);
        filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#00ffffff', endColorstr='#ffffff',GradientType=1 );    
    }

It looks like you have a solution but if you'd like me to throw together this in more detail, let me know.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations