I cant see photo 'likes'

pixelshawpixelshaw Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited January 26, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

I have recently asked a customer to choose images from her wedding and she has clicked the 'like' button on each image she would like. The problem I have is that I cant see any of those. :(
I have searched the forum and found some people suggesting that I will find them on my smugmug.com/popular, I wish this were the case. But sadly I get to see virtually every photo that I have uploaded from many galleries all of which do NOT have and 'thumbs up' indicated.

The gallery is visible to those with like and I had social options turned on in the settings for the gallery.

Can someone help before I have to go back to the customer and admit to being a dumbass for thinking it could be so simple. :)
www.pixelbox.co.nz - Pixelbox Photography.
www.pixelfix.co.nz - Photo Restoration.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 23, 2015
    Likes do feed into /popular but that is not the only thing that feeds into the results.

The only way I am aware of for a customer to communicate their "likes" with you inside of smug is to use Events. This feature is only available on Business level accounts. Are you using an event?

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/83125-how-do-i-create-and-share-events-

--- Denise
  • pixelshawpixelshaw Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2015
    Thanks Denise. No I'm not using a business level account. I have have read about /popular before but that really is not working out for me. I can't see how it would work out for anyone really.

Is there any other method that is used by other pros that don't have the business level account, to enable customers to make their picks from a private gallery?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 23, 2015
    pixelshaw wrote: »
    Thanks Denise. No I'm not using a business level account. I have have read about /popular before but that really is not working out for me. I can't see how it would work out for anyone really.

Is there any other method that is used by other pros that don't have the business level account, to enable customers to make their picks from a private gallery?
    The /popular page was never intended to be used that way. It's simply a set of photos that were determined (in some unpublished way) to be popular.

The only thing I can think of is including the file name or a unique tag of some sort in the caption of the photo so your customer can tell you exactly which photos are chosen. Maybe you could provide a spreadsheet (or something of the sort) with a list of the file names / identifiers and your customer can use that to communicate with you. Or maybe an online form would work. Smug has a content element for Wufoo forms - you could add a page containing a form that contains a list of photos that your customer can choose from. Both of these would require that you tag the photos with a unique identifier.

I just remembered something else that might work for you - there is a customization by Sherlock Photography that will place a number over the photos in Collage Landscape / Collage Portrait / Journal / Thumbnail styles. Maybe it will work for you. Code and an example is available at http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Number-thumbs.

--- Denise
  • pixelshawpixelshaw Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2015
    Thank Denise, That might be useful. I think I may have another way. I use lightroom and the Smugmug plugin downloads comments so I will get the customer to put comments on the ones she wants. I can then edit them directly in Lightroom. Thanks again.