Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not a bad count for a one-man army :ivar
    Many thanks to all the patrons and supporters! bowdown.gif

+1, as I purchased the other day. Great product, great support. A few nits I would change, but all in all, the best uploader I've found.

Mike.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    +1, as I purchased the other day. Great product, great support. A few nits I would change, but all in all, the best uploader I've found.

Mike.
    Thanks Mike, appreciate the support! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Issues
    I have a fresh install of Vista64 and star explorer.
    I droped the sel into the program directory.
    In the account screen, both open buttons take me to my Smugmug account, but yet when I select test I cannot connect/login.
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
    edited September 18, 2008
    I have a fresh install of Vista64 and star explorer.
    I droped the sel into the program directory.
    In the account screen, both open buttons take me to my Smugmug account, but yet when I select test I cannot connect/login.
    Gary,
    sorry about that.
    I got your email, too. I'll get back to you on this.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    Rekeywording and reuploading
    Howdy Nik-

So I am cleaning stuff up on my SmugMug, why is it that as one learns more there is stuff that they want to go back and change. So before I do the rework, I figured I would ask the question if my idea would work and if there are any gotcha's to look out for.

What I was thinking of doing was the following:
    1. Synchronize my local copy of the images from SmugMug using S*E.
    2. Create a new catalog in Lightroom 2.0 on the Mac side of the world
    3. Import all the images/folders from the SmugMug local copy
    4. Go through and keyword the images I did not the first time (I don't want to contemplate how many at the moment)
    5. Do some small tweaks now that I have more experience
    6. Keyword some of them as "rejects" - actually lots of them.
    7. Reupload the images with the keywords
    8. Figure out a way to delete the ones with the keyword rejects on my SmugMug site.

Am I thinking about doing something that is not possible?headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    Howdy Nik-

So I am cleaning stuff up on my SmugMug, why is it that as one learns more there is stuff that they want to go back and change. So before I do the rework, I figured I would ask the question if my idea would work and if there are any gotcha's to look out for.

What I was thinking of doing was the following:
    1. Synchronize my local copy of the images from SmugMug using S*E.
    2. Create a new catalog in Lightroom 2.0 on the Mac side of the world
    3. Import all the images/folders from the SmugMug local copy
    4. Go through and keyword the images I did not the first time (I don't want to contemplate how many at the moment)
    5. Do some small tweaks now that I have more experience
    6. Keyword some of them as "rejects" - actually lots of them.
    7. Reupload the images with the keywords
    8. Figure out a way to delete the ones with the keyword rejects on my SmugMug site.
    Am I thinking about doing something that is not possible?headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
    I'm not sure how to do #8. And, FWIW, from my experiencing, replacing the image takes *much* longer than initial upload, I know know why. So if you have tens of thousands, like I do, you're up for days and days ne_nau.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm not sure how to do #8. And, FWIW, from my experiencing, replacing the image takes *much* longer than initial upload, I know know why. So if you have tens of thousands, like I do, you're up for days and days ne_nau.gif

I have been thinking about #8 and I have two possible solutions. And luckily I only have thousands not tens of thousands of photos to go through, plus I have some biz travel time on a plane to do some of this stuff.

I am looking for more information about the Sync features in S*E. If I delete a file on my local drive, will it delete it on the SmugMug server? I was looking at the Sync Upload under preferences which got me thinking about the way the FTP sync tool I use does it. I can decide which is master and it will delete the "stray" files on the subordinate one.

If not my next option, and this one I am still working on the scripting for it, is to use Adobe Fireworks or PS to replace the image with a very clear indication of this photo should be deleted. Such as a big red X. Then I can use the Delete Photos option more quickly.
    -=Bradford

edited September 22, 2008
    I am looking for more information about the Sync features in S*E. If I delete a file on my local drive, will it delete it on the SmugMug server?

If not my next option, and this one I am still working on the scripting for it, is to use Adobe Fireworks or PS to replace the image with a very clear indication of this photo should be deleted. Such as a big red X. Then I can use the Delete Photos option more quickly.

I'm truly sorry to disappoint you, but no destructive action is implemented in S*E due to the potential liability issues. Users tend to ignore the warning dialogs, and I really don't want to be the last link in the CSI chain when someone deletes thousands of files from their SM account via S*E just because s/he would think they were backed up or something. ne_nau.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm truly sorry to disappoint you, but no destructive action is implemented in S*E due to the potential liability issues.

Howdy Nik, no reason to apologize the decision makes sense. I struggle with some of these questions when I am working on software definitions at work. Thanks for answering the question quickly. I think I might have come up with a solution though :)

I still do really like the software; it is a good tool for me.
    -=Bradford

Howdy Nik, no reason to apologize the decision makes sense. I struggle with some of these questions when I am working on software definitions at work. Thanks for answering the question quickly. I think I might have come up with a solution though :)

I still do really like the software; it is a good tool for me.
    Thanks, Brad! thumb.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 5, 2008
    Nikolai -
    Many thanks for a great tool!

I can't believe I used the standard (free) uploaders for so long before purchasing Star*Explorer - and it absolutely saved me today. I had an Internet connectivity hiccup during an upload this morning, one that I couldn't get around without rebooting my computer. When I restarted Star*Explorer it very nicely asked if I wanted to restore my non-finished work. Yes, yes! Upload completed...

Thanks again.

--- Denise
    edited October 5, 2008
    Nikolai -
    Many thanks for a great tool!

I can't believe I used the standard (free) uploaders for so long before purchasing Star*Explorer - and it absolutely saved me today. I had an Internet connectivity hiccup during an upload this morning, one that I couldn't get around without rebooting my computer. When I restarted Star*Explorer it very nicely asked if I wanted to restore my non-finished work. Yes, yes! Upload completed...

Thanks again.

--- Denise
    Thank you Denise, appreciate it!thumb.gif
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Nik,
    correction.. quicksettings - is available; called AlbumTemplateID

Sorry, I didn't realise that the documentation was that out of date, i will update it over the weekend sometime....another reason why I am rewritng the documentation for 1.2.1.

Hey Nik -- so does Star*Explorer support Quick Settings (Dev's post was from back in June 2007)? From a thread embedded into the monolithic (ugh) "Feature Requests", it seems that jfriend uses SE to upload, but apparently still has a need for *default* album settings:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=943502#post943502
    edited October 15, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Hey Nik -- so does Star*Explorer support Quick Settings (Dev's post was from back in July 2007)? From a thread embedded into the monolithic (ugh) "Feature Requests", it seems that jfriend uses SE to upload, but apparently still has a need for *default* album settings:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=943502#post943502
    Darryl,
    not those SM-based yet, sorry. Only its own.ne_nau.gif
    It will eventually
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Darryl,
    not those SM-based yet, sorry. Only its own.ne_nau.gif
    It will eventually

SM Quick Settings are not useful to me. I've tried to use them and they just never seem to meet my needs so I no longer use them.

It's hard to explain why quick settings don't work for me, but there's no way to include only a few settings in a quick setting. There's no easy way to see what they are set to. They're kind of just all or nothing. If they were like a Lightroom quick setting where I could check off just the settings I wanted included in the quick setting, I would find them a lot more useful. Also, the UI for managing and saving and deleting them takes a lot of brain power to figure out every time I go to try to use them. I do not find it intuitive.

So, I either bulk create galleries in Star Explorer where I very much like the checkboxes all lined up in a row that I can specify BEFORE I create the gallery (Smugmug could learn something here - it's not beautiful, but it's very effective). Or, I go fix a bunch of gallery settings after the fact in SmugBrowser.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • valeriecookvaleriecook Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Help with replacing photos
    Please help! I cannot seem to get this feature figured out. I have uploaded my wedding galleries with Star Explorer, enabled the 'replace' in the options - when I get an order, I add the same photos, same name to same gallery. then I go and check to see if it is a full res file and there are just 2 of them now. Any ideas? Val
    www.valeriecook.smugmug.com
    edited November 4, 2008
    Please help! I cannot seem to get this feature figured out. I have uploaded my wedding galleries with Star Explorer, enabled the 'replace' in the options - when I get an order, I add the same photos, same name to same gallery. then I go and check to see if it is a full res file and there are just 2 of them now. Any ideas? Val
    www.valeriecook.smugmug.com
    Valerie, when you add replacement pictures to S*E queue, do you get '*' in front of the file name? If you do - they will come up eventually. If you don't - something's wrong...
    edited November 4, 2008
    No, I don't remember getting the '*' ever. I will go look again.

Nikolai wrote:
    Valerie, when you add replacement pictures to S*E queue, do you get '*' in front of the file name? If you do - they will come up eventually. If you don't - something's wrong...
    edited November 4, 2008
    I think I figured it out! With my album highlighted at the top, if I right click on the album and select 'add files' - then select the files - then I get the '*' - If I highlight the album, then drag the files to the window below - then it doesn't work.
    So far, I think I have it now!:D

Nikolai wrote:
  • mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    I think I figured it out! With my album highlighted at the top, if I right click on the album and select 'add files' - then select the files - then I get the '*' - If I highlight the album, then drag the files to the window below - then it doesn't work.
    So far, I think I have it now!:D

Nikolai - This sounds like a buglet. Shouldn't it act the same way no matter which way you access the functionality? Or is it detecting something special with add files that it doesn't detect with drag/drop ?

Just curious.

Mike.
    edited November 5, 2008
    Nikolai - This sounds like a buglet. Shouldn't it act the same way no matter which way you access the functionality? Or is it detecting something special with add files that it doesn't detect with drag/drop ?

Just curious.

Mike.
    Mike,
    I think it's a random glitch. Unless you experience it, chances you ever will are unlikely...
    HTH
    edited November 7, 2008
    Help with replacing photos - again
    I just can't seem to figure this out. I have checked the option to 'replace if detected' - I used star explorer to upload the smaller files yesterday. I have a few orders today - so I go to star explorer and highlight the album in the top window - add files in the bottom window - no stars! Is there some other think that needs to be done? Is there instructions for this anywhere? This option was the main reason for purchasing star explorer
    Thanks, Val
    edited November 7, 2008
    I just can't seem to figure this out. I have checked the option to 'replace if detected' - I used star explorer to upload the smaller files yesterday. I have a few orders today - so I go to star explorer and highlight the album in the top window - add files in the bottom window - no stars! Is there some other think that needs to be done? Is there instructions for this anywhere? This option was the main reason for purchasing star explorer
    Thanks, Val
    Val, your replacement file must be precisely in the same place and named exactly the same as the originally uploaded one. I verified this feature numerous times, it works!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    Nikolai, have you ever considered adding SmugBrowser-type property settings across multiple galleries to StarExplorer? It seems like you have all the infrastructure for it since you already have the full gallery listed and you know how to set all the gallery properties.

What I'd like to be able to do is to select N galleries or N categories and then apply the same change to all those galleries. I don't necessarily want to all properties to be the same, I just want to change one or a few properties on the galleries. For example, I have a whole category of galleries that I want to change the password on. Or I have 10 galleries in a category that are currently unlisted (while I prepare them for public display) and when they are ready I want to flip them all to public. Or, I realize that I messed up and a whole bunch of galleries that I mass created in StarExplorer all have two settings wrong (SmugIslands and square thumbs) so I want to fix them all.

I used to use SmugBrowser for this, but it no longer works reliably in Firefox 3 and it never let me multi-select my own set of galleries - it always made me operate on a single entity at a time (category, sub-category or gallery). Often, I want the same change applied to several sub-categories or several galleries, but not all of them.

Here's another problem that Smugmug is bad at and SmugBrowser never did. Imagine you want to change the sub-category on 30 galleries. The only way I know of to do that is the painful, one at a time in the Smugmug web UI.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited November 7, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Nikolai, have you ever considered adding SmugBrowser-type property settings across multiple galleries to StarExplorer? It seems like you have all the infrastructure for it since you already have the full gallery listed and you know how to set all the gallery properties.

What I'd like to be able to do is to select N galleries or N categories and then apply the same change to all those galleries. I don't necessarily want to all properties to be the same, I just want to change one or a few properties on the galleries. For example, I have a whole category of galleries that I want to change the password on. Or I have 10 galleries in a category that are currently unlisted (while I prepare them for public display) and when they are ready I want to flip them all to public. Or, I realize that I messed up and a whole bunch of galleries that I mass created in StarExplorer all have two settings wrong (SmugIslands and square thumbs) so I want to fix them all.

I used to use SmugBrowser for this, but it no longer works reliably in Firefox 3 and it never let me multi-select my own set of galleries - it always made me operate on a single entity at a time (category, sub-category or gallery). Often, I want the same change applied to several sub-categories or several galleries, but not all of them.

Here's another problem that Smugmug is bad at and SmugBrowser never did. Imagine you want to change the sub-category on 30 galleries. The only way I know of to do that is the painful, one at a time in the Smugmug web UI.
    John, I did and I do. It's simply that life is a weird thing and priorities shift.
    We can sure talk about it Dec 6 in MV, right? ;-)
    edited November 8, 2008
    replacing photos
    I copied and pasted the larger files over the small files in the same folder as I uploaded with. I am still not getting the star "*"
    Is there a tutorial that shows exactly which options need to be check marked? I am now just replacing them once at a time with smug's tool and it's horribly slow.

Nikolai wrote:
    Val, your replacement file must be precisely in the same place and named exactly the same as the originally uploaded one. I verified this feature numerous times, it works!
    edited November 8, 2008
    I copied and pasted the larger files over the small files in the same folder as I uploaded with. I am still not getting the star "*"
    Is there a tutorial that shows exactly which options need to be check marked? I am now just replacing them once at a time with smug's tool and it's horribly slow.
    Another thing: make sure the next check box (only for selected albums) is NOT checked.
    If this still doesn't work I would suggest "Get Images Info for: <your set of albums here>".
    Other than that I must work.
    edited December 31, 2008
    New version 1.0.0.199 uploaded
    Fixed: stats download (duh) - Thanks Roy!

Coming soon: WYSIWYG uploaded images browsing
    edited January 2, 2009
    Beta version 201 uploaded
    Browsing already uploaded images is now possible (pro/power only) deal.gif
    If you wanna play - go have a ball, you'll figure out the url:-)
    PS
    You'd need to launch it with /degug=1 command prompt switch to enable the new functionality. Thanks David!
    edited January 2, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Browsing already uploaded images is now possible (pro/power only) deal.gif
    If you wanna play - go have a ball, you'll figure out the url:-)
    PS
    You'd need to launch it with /degug=1 command prompt switch to enable the new functionality. Thanks David!

Okay so I went to go and try, and I am a little stumped, or am over thinking stuff. How do I launch it with /debug=1? I created a short cut and have the target set at
    "C:\Program Files\Star Explorer\StarExplorer.exe" /debug=1
    or is that incorrect?

And if I am doing it right, how do I browse?
    -=Bradford