Options

Stylus/scrolling not working for Samsung (on my site)

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited January 17, 2015 in SmugMug Support
What do I tell this user? She's not able to scroll, and said she uses the stylus for that. She's using:

samsung galaxy note 10.1. GT- N8000

And this is the page she's trying to access:
http://www.joinrats.com/ModifyBehavior/Relationship/

I had no problem scrolling on any option on Screenfly (http://quirktools.com/screenfly/), and since I don't use a stylus, I'm not sure what to tell her.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 4, 2015
    She sent me a snapshot of her specs, in case this helps.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2015
    More info: she said she normally can either use her fingers, or the stylus, but in this case there is no scroll bar to move.

Maybe the question is, what needs to happen to show her a scrollbar.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited January 5, 2015
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    More info: she said she normally can either use her fingers, or the stylus, but in this case there is no scroll bar to move.

Maybe the question is, what needs to happen to show her a scrollbar.
    I just looked at that page on my phone. I know that's not the same device but I figured I would see the behavior on a small screen.

There is no scroll bar but I can scroll by touching the screen and moving up, down, or side-to-side.

I would hope that you are already aware of this, but just in case... It appears that you must have set a minimum width that is much wider than my device. I can't read without scrolling sideways. This behavior is the same with the phone in horizontal or vertical orientation.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2015
    Thank you Denise for your comments and checking on your device.
    I'm waiting for input from the viewer.
    In the meantime, - did your message originally point out that I had the site set to fixed?I did not realize that would affect small devices. I have changed it to stretchy and no setting for body width. Is that what I'm supposed to do for devices?

On this page I have html blocks with set widths. Since I see now I have no idea what goes on for non-computer devices, does this now work for you for stretchy and no fixed body width?
    I would hope that you are already aware of this, but just in case... It appears that you must have set a minimum width that is much wider than my device. I can't read without scrolling sideways. This behavior is the same with the phone in horizontal or vertical orientation.
    --- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2015
    I just looked at that page on my phone. I know that's not the same device but I figured I would see the behavior on a small screen.

There is no scroll bar but I can scroll by touching the screen and moving up, down, or side-to-side.

--- Denise

So it turns out she was viewing a page that has only a few videos, not enough text to warrant scrolling. Here's a screenshot. On another link I gave her with lots of text, the scroll bar is visible, and the page is resizing (thanks DENISE!! iloveyou.gif).

One further question: why does the formatting result in video thumbs covered up with part of the caption? And not even the beginning of the caption. This is the gallery: http://www.joinrats.com/ModifyBehavior/RAT-C/OtherTechniques
    and it's in SM style, which on regular computers does not show this way.
    Is there a way I can control this? The visitor had no idea she was looking at videos and could click one to play. I would like the video image to be visible and if possible the caption beneath it, in SM style, for devices.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited January 6, 2015
    It might have to do with your captions for mobile (the font size is really large and the long captions cover the play button) ... or it could also be the lightbox. I noticed that clicking on the thumbnail of the video pulled up the captions but not the play button. When I clicked a few more times it finally started to play, but only because I knew I could. You'll want to either investigate if it's the captions or if it's the lightbox.

We can always use the @media queries to write custom CSS for mobile devices only. For example, here, it might be good to hide cpations on mobile for this gallery.

-Aaron
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    It might have to do with your captions for mobile (the font size is really large and the long captions cover the play button) ... or it could also be the lightbox. I noticed that clicking on the thumbnail of the video pulled up the captions but not the play button. When I clicked a few more times it finally started to play, but only because I knew I could. You'll want to either investigate if it's the captions or if it's the lightbox.

We can always use the @media queries to write custom CSS for mobile devices only. For example, here, it might be good to hide cpations on mobile for this gallery.

-Aaron

You are checking on a mobile device, Aaron, when you say, "I noticed that clicking on the thumbnail of the video pulled up the captions but not the play button."?

What has lightbox got to do with this problem - the gallery is set to smugmug style and there are only 3 videos in it, and videos can't be opened in lightbox mode in smugmug style?

I want the caption font to remain at 20 px for computers or laptops - but - where the smaller devices are going to place the captions right on the thumbnail, can:
    - I specify to move them below the thumbnail,
    - or, change the font size for captions on small devices?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2015
    Yoo hoo... hoping to fix this for small devices:

I want the caption font to remain at 20 px for computers or laptops - but - where the smaller devices are going to place the captions right on the thumbnail, can:
    - I specify to move them below the thumbnail,
    - or, change the font size for captions on small devices?

Thanks.