Options

Please help, my domain is now a clothing store 😦

marcusrichphotomarcusrichphoto Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
edited January 19, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Somehow I managed to miss a godaddy domain expiry email and my website is now a clothing store owned by someone in China. I've tried to access my Smugmug account, but it takes me to the clothing store. What can I do? Obviously nobody is going to call an online clothing store marcusrichphotography.com, so I guess they want me to buy back the domain for $$$, which I'm not prepared to do, so I guess I'll have to change my domain name. How do I get it to link back to my smugmug account, as I can't now log in.

M 😭
Marcus.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!

My website: http://www.marcusrichphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited January 12, 2015
    You can always log in at www.smugmug.com.

Once you've logged in you will want to go to your Account Settings, Account, scroll down to Custom Domain and remove the URL that you no longer own.

If your menu entries point to your old custom domain you will need to edit them to change them to point to your smugmug domain (or to a new custom domain).
    Updated: or better yet, change your menu entries to use a relative URL and you won't need to change them again.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    If your menu entries point to your old custom domain you will need to edit them to change them to point to your smugmug domain (or to a new custom domain).

--- Denise
    Didn't I read you can now use relative inks in the menu? Then all they would need to do is remove part
    of the URL in the menu.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited January 12, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    Didn't I read you can now use relative inks in the menu? Then all they would need to do is remove part
    of the URL in the menu.
    You did read that - but unfortunately that ability wasn't taken far enough. You can use a relative URL in your menu entries, but the entries on any folder goes to your custom URL. So you can start out using your smug URL but then clicking on a folder or gallery will take you back to the custom domain.

You're right though, the OP can fix his menu entries by changing them to a relative URL. I'll add a note to my previous post.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2015
    Thanks for your help guys, however, now I've managed to change my domain name to www.marcusrichphotography.uk, I am no longer able to use the control panel at the top of my screen, I have also lost my banner and the 'easy customiser' takes me directly to my homepage. headscratch.gif

The login button also just returns me to the home screen.

Update: I have just navigated to the 'easy customiser' via the advanced site wide page.

Update2: Managed to get my banner back up, but still no menu bar.

Update3: I have now lost all ability to edit anything, I don't even have the option on my smugmug account screen???
    Marcus.

• Options
    edited January 13, 2015
    The first thing I'd do is clear my browser cache and remove all Smugmug cookies.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    The first thing I'd do is clear my browser cache and remove all Smugmug cookies.

Thank you Allen. I had to clear both Safari and Chrome cache, it is now working ok as far as I can see clap.gif
    Marcus.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2015
    Glad to hear that. Anytime you get any weird things happening on Smug odds are cache and cookies are causing it.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,453 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2015
    Thanks for your help guys, however, now I've managed to change my domain name to www.marcusrichphotography.uk, I am no longer able to use the control panel at the top of my screen, I have also lost my banner and the 'easy customiser' takes me directly to my homepage. headscratch.gif

The login button also just returns me to the home screen.

Update: I have just navigated to the 'easy customiser' via the advanced site wide page.

Update2: Managed to get my banner back up, but still no menu bar.

Update3: I have now lost all ability to edit anything, I don't even have the option on my smugmug account screen???

You need to change your website in your signature line....
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2015
    Marcus - as a matter of interest - did you ask how much they want for it back?