The Perfect Angle

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited January 31, 2005 in Technique
So heres the quandry. I am working on landscapes for school right now. And I know the shots I want and I can see them in my mind. Great right perfect shot, know what it is, just have to take it. Thats the problem. The one I really want is an industrial landscape of this building I noticed a few weeks ago on my way home from work. It is a very unique building that looks like some sort of watch tower for the railroad. The problem is everywhere I turn there is power lines in my way, or big rigs, or both. So do I settle for a shot that isn't exactly the perfect shot I see in my mind and leave the busy distractions in. Or do I not take the shot. Or do I sneak onto the roof of a building that is just down the street and looks like it could provide the perfect angle. This powerline thing is really killing a bunch of shots I want to take. God damn things are everywhere around here so I have to drive at least an hour to get a shot that doesnt involve them or some other modern day annouyance.:dunno
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited January 31, 2005
    I know your pain. And sometimes there isn't much one can do about it. The big rigs (I assume you mean semi trailer trucks?) make it a nasty problem, unlesss you know someone that could move them out of the way.

Not seeing at all what you see, it's difficult to know exactly what you're dealing with. That said, in cases like this, I see perhaps three options...

1) Get closer that you would have wanted and shoot wide angle. The lines might be behind you or the subject, or to the side enough to not be as much a worry. Correct for barrel distortion and perspective in post.

2) Make the mood super-industrial, and allow for the power lines to become integral (or subject matter) of the school project.

3) Shoot at angles that allow for maximum cloning/removal of the power lines in post.
    Or do I sneak onto the roof of a building that is just down the street and looks like it could provide the perfect angle.
    Don't ever sneak onto someone's roof! Tresspassing is not something you want on your record. Photographer's are having enough problems getting access legitimately to previously allowed areas these days. Too much paranoia going around. DO ask the owner of that building with the roof. The worst they can tell you is "no." The best that could happen is that the owner might want you for another photo project! If you can do that, then go get the shot(s).

Hope that helps.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky