Trip to the Metro. Museum of Art, NYC

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited October 25, 2006 in Journeys
EDIT: Moderators, might want to mark this for nudity as statues do contain it. Sorry!

My girlfriend and I took a trip to the museum of art in New York City last Saturday. I have 52 photos in total located here and here are, what I believe are, the best. I am not cultured, at all... so yeah. Just a warning. lol :D

I was amazed at the sculptures... not only were they detailed for the time periods but they carried so much emotion. Treasure (my gf) was telling me that apparently the story behind this sculpture was that he and his sons were forced to starve, and the kids told him to eat them.
met_002.jpg

I personally love the story of Medusa, has always been a favorite. When I saw this I knew I had to take 20 some odd pictures of it.
met_005.jpg

My girlfriend laughed as I was taking pictures of all the tiny figurines... trying to see just how close the 50mm could get. Here is a picture of a discus thrower (I threw discus)... another favorite.
met_010.jpg

This kid was so young, and he was so amazing at drawing. There was quite the crowd just standing in amazement as was I. I decided to snap a photo of him, tried to get both him and his work. Unfortunately what he was drawing came out OOF...
met_020.jpg

Being that my gf and I are an interracial couple we do end up talking and laughing about certain things from time to time (black guys giving me the thumbs up, people looking at us, etc). We were walking around and noticed this statue... turned to each other and said "has to be a black woman". Well we were right... I love the expression, and the sculpture in general.
met_016.jpg

I love medieval stuff as I love the feeling I get... the aura that surrounds the "dark ages". I love how everything seemed to be very religous, everything was cherished almost. I am sure this wasn't the case, but I can keep dreaming. :rofl Anyways here are some pictures from that portion.
met_022.jpg

met_024.jpg

If only this exposed her correctly! FTL
met_025.jpg

When we walked into this room we both stopped... and our jaws dropped. She asked me to make sure I got a good picture, but I knew my talent (or lack there-of) wouldn't be able to get the full beauty of this...
met_044.jpg

When we entered this room we didn't notice the giant gate structure at first, but man was it tall. I had to swap over to the 18-55 for this as the 50mm just couldn't get it at all. People were looking at me oddly as I switched lenses... lol
met_050.jpg

Thanks for looking. Just going to plug my gallery, http://gallery.jsedlak.org. It now has full Exif data for photos, and comments, suggestions, critiques are welcome and encouraged! I am here to learn.

Thank you,
John

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    Great tour of the Met! I used to go all the time as a kid (what kid in NJ doesn't get to go every year for a field trip?) but haven't been back in years. Despite your modesty I think your photos of the statues came out very well. I particularly like photos of statues because you don't have to worry about the mmoving and complicating your shot. :D

That sketch by the boy is amazing.
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2006
    schmooo wrote:
    Great tour of the Met! I used to go all the time as a kid (what kid in NJ doesn't get to go every year for a field trip?) but haven't been back in years. Despite your modesty I think your photos of the statues came out very well. I particularly like photos of statues because you don't have to worry about the mmoving and complicating your shot. :D

That sketch by the boy is amazing.

Thanks... This was actually my first time, and about my 3rd time in the heart of NYC. (Been to yankees games lots of times).

My goal was to get very clean shots that came out decently in focus, trying to work on the steady hand and all. I only have the kit lens and the 50mm so obviously no IS was used. And I agree about statues, makes it even easier as they stay in that pose for ever.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 21, 2006
    Nice tour! Thanks for taking us along.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Nice tour of the Met!! I love museums, especially the antiquities. Another nice thing about shooting in galleries is the lighting is already set up!!! The shot of the boy drawing is marvelous. I can see enough of the sketch to tell he is extremely talented. Love his expression and concentration...I think you captured him well. Thanks for taking us along! :saurora
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    Another place for me to see when I go to NY, thanks. Great photos !!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    If only this exposed her correctly! FTL
    met_025.jpg

You can recover this photo - here's a quick attempt, with just the small file. Nice photos, thanks for posting.
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2006
    OMG... Please tell me how you did that!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2006
    Just do a little sharping and these photos will look fab. Great work tho.