LR4 Object Removal

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited April 4, 2012 in Finishing School
Is there a way to remove an object from a group of images in LR4. For example I had a set of images and I needed to remove an EXIT sign from them. The only way I know how is to do it in PS5.

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 1, 2012
    My understanding of Lightroom is that it is a global editor, with a limited ability to alter the image via the adjustment brush. If the stop sign is alone in a field, you may be able to remove it with the adjustment brush like removing a dust mote.

But there is no ability to remove it like with Photoshop to my knowledge if it is very large, or intersects with important image constituents..
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    thanks guys.
    I agree i thinkg CS5 works great, but the only reason I was looking for it in LR is to sync all the images this was in and hopefully save time.
    The item i needed to remove was in 30 or 40 pictures and I don't know how that can be done in CS5 without doing one image at a time.

R
    Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    I am definitely a photoshop noob so this may not be accurate. You should be able to record an action in photoshop, which in this case would be to remove certain parts of an image, and then save that action so you can repeat it. I don't know if photoshop has batch processing though to just send them all through it.
  • JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    I don't know of any way you can do this in LR. There are quite a few ways to get it done in PS (I'd probably clone the sign out, or use content-aware fill).
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2012
    it may be possible with the "spot removal tool"
    it has a heal mode and a clone mode
    choose size (scrollwheel) and click
    you can drag the second circle to a desired place , but often LR picks a correct place
    the first circle can be resized , if you place your cursor on the edge
    repeat adding "spots" untill its gone

you also mentioned "a group of images"
    if the sign is in the EXACT same location (tripod) , you may copy your brushes
    in left colom click copy
    in the selection screen , deselect all except your brushes
    on the other images , click paste in left colon ( works great on dustspots in a serie of shots )
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2012
    There is a selective clone-like tool in LR, (clone or heal) the question is, does it provide the precision you need to get the job done? The advantage is that IF it works, you could copy and paste this to other similar images. It is just set of instructions. But if you need real precision in this removal, you’ll want to use Photoshop.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/