Dusk & dawn on the pond...

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited August 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Just finished going thru my pictures from last weeks vacation. These were a few of my favorites. In the past I know a lot of my pictures were "flat"; I was attributing this to shooting mid-day (11AM-4PM) on bright sunny days. These were all taken at dawn or dusk so please let me know if they look more pleasing. #1 - #6 were all bracketed and then I played in Photoshop with layers. Just a beginner in Photoshop, so not much advanced work going on. Comments appreciated. Thanks

Stephanie

#1 15 minutes before sunrise on Flanders Pond
619836077_BXdee-L.jpg

#2 Sunrise on Flanders Pond
619837768_y9spR-L.jpg

#3 Dawn on Flanders Pond
619871453_4Ho6h-L.jpg

#4 Dawn on Flanders Pond
619841387_Qn3g7-L.jpg

#5 What could be better - going out for a lobster dinner and then coming home to a rainbow over the pond (I'm guessing a polarizer would have helped out on this shot with the bright water reflection)

619345156_9yG3b-L.jpg

*6 Sunset on Flanders Pond
619345758_Rbkb9-L.jpg

#7 "Home Sweet Home" for the week
619346805_GAcXb-L.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Very nice, Stephanie! #'s 3 and 5 are my favorite. thumb.gif If you ever get the chance to shoot this beautiful place again, I have a suggestion, if you don't mind. Let's look at #3...I would have not included the tree trunk on the left. Instead, I would have gotten really, really close to those gorgeous boats with a wide angle lens (the widest I could find), and shot it as a vertical (as you did) with the distant mist, trees, and sky as the background. The boats, as the foreground, would have taken up about 1/2 of my frame. Just my imagination running a little wild looking at this heavenly place. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    I agree Mahesh, my first reaction on the boat shot was "the boats are too far away..."

Less is more.

Marc.
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    marcpro wrote:
    I agree Mahesh, my first reaction on the boat shot was "the boats are too far away..."

Less is more.

Thanks Mahesh & Marc, that is what I was looking for. I will keep that in mind. I think I was so excited about the sunrise/rainbow but I didn't want an empty foreground - next time I will get closer. I won't be getting back up there this year with the boats but I will next summer. Thanks again.

Stephanie