Options

Beth's Island in the Sky

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited March 28, 2015 in Landscapes
Early this morning, Beth and I jumped in the vehicle, and ran out to chase a little light. At first, I had critter-stalking in mind. Once I realized I was in the wrong place / wrong time and the land was barren of critters I sought, it was time to move on.

We took a little drive up the Siletz River (Oregon Coast area) and found a nice gravel log road. Shifted our SUV into 4wd and put a little mud on the tires (less 'road' toward the top).

This is what came out of it.

IMG_8525-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2015
    Nice comp and subject! Is this hand held? I couldn't see any exif data. Bit mushy/grainy, otherwise really cool!
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2015
    This was completely handheld.

Canon 7D
    EF-S 18-135
    T = 1/60
    A = f/22
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length = 135mm

Looking back, I probably should've tried something along the lines of f/10 and a lower ISO. But, such is life, in the heat of the moment, watching the light change with every click.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2015
    This was completely handheld.

Canon 7D
    EF-S 18-135
    T = 1/60
    A = f/22
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length = 135mm

Looking back, I probably should've tried something along the lines of f/10 and a lower ISO. But, such is life, in the heat of the moment, watching the light change with every click.

Yes, that would be better choice in all respects. Throw a tripod in your truck!
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2015
    You're not gonna believe this...but mine got wrecked on the Grand Canyon. I lost the mounting bracket while slamming some big ass whitewater. I should've left it ON the camera (the bracket)! Looking to pick up a new one by the end of the week.

Sometimes with landscapes, I get sucked into 'Get it all in focus with a tiny f-stop' thinking. In this particular case, I realize now that I forgot to take into account focal length. Live and learn :)
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2015
    You're not gonna believe this...but mine got wrecked on the Grand Canyon. I lost the mounting bracket while slamming some big ass whitewater. I should've left it ON the camera (the bracket)! Looking to pick up a new one by the end of the week.

Sometimes with landscapes, I get sucked into 'Get it all in focus with a tiny f-stop' thinking. In this particular case, I realize now that I forgot to take into account focal length. Live and learn :)

In this kind of scene, even f-4 would have been fine, if you put AF on the 'island'. Softness would work for you here and isolate the island. Also, f-22 and so, the image starts to get soft....sharpest would be somewhere f-13-f20.

You will not believe this.....yesterday i dropped my tripod, most expensive I had in crashing waves and ocean. Ordered one 10 minutes later, right from the beach on iphone!

Cheers m8!:D
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2015
    Doh! Looks like we have similar tripod handling procedures!!

BTW, it's worth noting that I had some help with the post on this image. My friend is a senior photographer for a leading tech company (whose name rhymes with 'Schmapple') and took the time to lay down some post-teaching knowledge. I'm super excited to put the lessons into practice.

With that in mind, thank you for the knowledge of f-stops in this thread. I am learning more every time I visit this forum, and appreciate you even taking the time to assist.

Cheers, Taz!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    Given the light and the hand-held mode, not a bad effort. Nice location effort as well.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited March 18, 2015
    Given the light and the hand-held mode, not a bad effort. Nice location effort as well.

Thanks! I now own a tripod, understand more about f/stops being too small (diffraction), and plan to try again on a similar conditioned day. We'll see what happens? lol
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2015
    Great subject and composition! As has been said though, cut down the f/ number and the ISO- you don't gain anything from those settings!
    As you said earlier though, sometimes you don't have time to make sure all the settings are correct and better to get the shot than not I suppose! ;)
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    The pacific NW is awesome! Nice shot. Sounds like a fun day of exploring.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 28, 2015
    Nice catch, Jona. thumb.gif