Options

Autumn Falls

Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited March 30, 2015 in Landscapes
Sgwd%20Ddwli%20Isaf%20portrait-XL.jpg
Sorry people, not been out with the camera in weeks. Here's one from last Autumn.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited March 12, 2015
    Wonderful stuff! And the comp is tops - especially getting in the last of the brown leaves on the tree at upper right.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    Nice Carl! Any horizontal comps? Would like to see more stuff on the right of the fall! Cheers!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2015
    Great comp and thank you for not having blue water. :D

Sam
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2015
    Very, very nice. I agree with Dave and Sam, Great comp. Wonderful colors and leading lines. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice Carl! Any horizontal comps? Would like to see more stuff on the right of the fall! Cheers!

Horizontal - Watch this space!! :-)
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Wonderful stuff! And the comp is tops - especially getting in the last of the brown leaves on the tree at upper right.

Thanks all. Yes it was important for me to frame with the brown leaves, they pop with the dark background, and give some sparkle and depth. It's not perfect, there was a lot of spray which softened the background. I had to do some work in Lightroom to sharpen it up, but I think I've overcooked it slightly, particularly the right hand side of the rear falls - way too much contrast. Will return for another go mid spring.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »

Sgwd%20Ddwli%20Isaf%20L-XL.jpg
    Hi All, Landscape Version. I'd be interested in hearing which you prefer?

Cheers,
    Carl.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2015
    Really nice!.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 14, 2015
    These are really great. Tough choice between the two. The second one seems a bit tight on the foreground under that tiny falls. The first one has a perfect comp, so that would be my choice. thumb.gif
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2015
    Love both! First one has sweet stair case! Second one has more beauty and bit of mystery! Lucky you have so many of these falls near you!clap.gif
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2015
    Both shots are very good. My vote goes to the vertical image, however. The composition, positioning and crop seem to draw me into the frame and to the falls themselves, mlre than the horizontal shot.

That said, my humble opinion.

The scenery, location and season make for an excellent image.

Thanks for sharing these.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2015
    Thanks for the responses. Interesting to see a split in opinions with regards to which Is the better format. I must admit, initially I preferred the Portrait Shot, but the Landscape shot is growing on me. Fabulous area for waterfalls - there must be about 10 beautiful falls within a 5 mile radius. More to come when there's a little more greenery to photograph.
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    Both are great shots. If I had to pick one, I think the portrait tells the story better. It makes the water movement even more dynamic in my opinion.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2015
    Really like the first one and the 2nd is pretty good too. One thing that I notice in both is there is not a whole lot going on in the far left side of the images and you have features cut off in other places. In the first one you might have shifted the image to the right to get more of the lower falls and eliminate the dead space on the left. In the second move down a little and eliminate some of the top. Just my thoughts.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2015
    Thanks Aaron, I'll check the original, it may be that I've cropped in from the right for a particular reason, or I've deliberately or accidentally composed with further to the left.

Regards,
    Carl.

www.celticcompositions.co.uk