Lower Antelope Canyon - Page, AZ USA

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited April 13, 2015 in Landscapes
The following images where taken on a partly cloudy, mid-morning day, in December 2014, at Lower Antelope Canyon, in Page, Arizona.

These images were taken with my trusty Nikon D300, with a Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 lens. The images were shot at 11mm to capture as much of the canyon and surrounding walls as possible. ISO was set to 400.
Post production included some minor cleaning of noise, and then adjusting levels, curves and exposure. I used a neutral density filter (PS software add-in) to balance the light more evenly throughout the image.

I alternated my WB setting between cloudy and shade and fiddled with the Continuously Variable (K) setting as I moved through the canyon and the light changed. I also took several images using a general WB setting of Tungsten. Those images have not been reviewed yet and may reveal some interesting results.

The last two images (#4 and #5) are HDR images, taken with the same kit. The only PP done to these images was very minor adjustment to levels and curves. In this setting, at this specific time of year, working with a super-wide angle lens, I believe that the HDR process was a great contributor to the overall final image result.

I was working against a tight time schedule as to time allowed in the canyon and I did not stop to record each individual shot and exact camera settings (sorry).

The natural canyon colors are pretty “earthy,” however, the orange, purple and deeper reds came jumping out of the image once I adjusted for levels and curves in post. The adjustments made were extremely conservative, as I was fearful of over processing and over adjusting anything but, still wanting to communicate visually, the rich colors I saw while walking through the canyon.

Depending on the changing light and one’s position within the canyon itself, the walls displayed red, yellow, purple, green, tan, brown, and orange colors.

These are only five of about 180 pictures I took in the Lower Antelope Canyon. I have yet to have the unencumbered, free time to even begin to look at the images I took at Upper Antelope Canyon.

I hope to post more images at a future date, when I have more time to examine the remaining images.

Thank you in advance for your C&C.

i-fqZGDzB-L.jpg
Image #1

i-W7qFW9f-L.jpg
Image #2

i-ZFvmZWL-L.jpg
Image #3

i-4SmVgd5-L.jpg
Image #4

i-ZzPhNMk-L.jpg
Image #5

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2015
    First 2 comps are superb!
    #1 is favorite because it appears lava is coming down from top.
    In others, some areas got too hot.....its an issue when shooting there....maybe touch too warm too.
    Cheers!
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    Great set. I'm going to have to try the lower side next time I'm in the area. I hear that the lower canyon is less crowded and a more leisurely walk.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2015
    Nice work. I like the close perspective and love the lines. thumb.gif
    Central spot in #3 is a bit bright but looks as if this is taken in a highly contrasted area.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your comments!!!

Greatly appreciated!!

Phil...yes, the lower canyon is less visited, has less overall traffic and if you go with a guide, you are still afforded a leisurely stroll with ample time to take some great images. Yet one could spend 5x the amount of allocated time in the canyon and still want to stay longer. It is an amazing place (I'd say the same of the upper canyon as well).

Options exist to go it alone, however, I suspect that there is still a time limit placed on how long one can wander through the canyon.

Again, thanks everyone for taking time to view these images and for your comments.
  • Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2015
    Stunning set of images!
  • TravelAmyTravelAmy Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2015
    Stunning images I have seen this place photographed so many times but you did a great job capturing it in a new way. I really like number 4 the lines on the rocks add a great detail.
    Amy VK
    Travel Photographer
    www.amyvk.com
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2015
    Thank you to everyone who replied with comments on my images.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to review my images and your comments.

Thanks everyone!!!!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 4, 2015
    Good stuff, Mr. Cat. I have some comps that are almost exactly the same as yours when I shot there years ago. It probably helps that I shot pretty much at the same focal length (~10mm). But the framing is pretty much identical on some of these (which means damn-near perfect! :D)
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2015
  • 2day2day Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2015
    Antelope Canyon can be very magical and you did wonderful work with it. Look forward to seeing more!
    Lois Doubleday
    www.imagingthat.co
  • rbtrbt Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2015
    very nice