DSS #80 Only have 2 considerations so far

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited July 11, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Tough challenge :D and I have found little to go with. Lion or fireworks?
Your opinions would be nice.
I was thinking about the way too centered rule and OOF mostly as I had 2 images that were maybe considerations.
2 versions of this one. First 1 pretty much I shot this way and the 2nd I PS'd for similar result just a bit sharper. Not sure which one I like the best. Perhaps neither works or any of the 3 here :scratch
#1 Chalk Lion
ChaulkLionWeb1OOC1561-XL.jpg

#2 PS version as mentioned.
ChaulkLionWeb1PS1558-XL.jpg

#3 Centered fireworks....
4thFireworks2011Web9a1830-XL.jpg
Michael

Comments

• ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    I love both of them, and they both are theme worthy. There is already a fireworks shot entered in the contest, so I'm thinking the lion is a better option. Which do I like better? Hmmmm, they're both good, but I think I will go with #1 for the challenge, with the softer quality. Very nice shots!
    Good luck!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2011
    I personally like #2 best, but on my opinion, the way you cropped it and processed it, needs more symmetry, and maybe some more accentuated details, or some kind of more artistic touch.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    I love both of them, and they both are theme worthy. There is already a fireworks shot entered in the contest, so I'm thinking the lion is a better option. Which do I like better? Hmmmm, they're both good, but I think I will go with #1 for the challenge, with the softer quality. Very nice shots!
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback Karin. Very nice. Now I know that 1 holds more
    promise of the first 2 for sure. Not that I don't trust my wifes opinion too :D Hope that doesn't land me in the doghouse headscratch.gif And since a nice fireworks image is already entered I will go with #1 unless something else worthy presents itself for me. Thanks again !!!
    Michael
    edited July 10, 2011
    I personally like #2 best, but on my opinion, the way you cropped it and processed it, needs more symmetry, and maybe some more accentuated details, or some kind of more artistic touch.
    Thanks Tatiana :D Very appreciated. I easily agree about the crop. I practically discounted it outright because of that alone. Unsure as to the how or what to attain more accentuation and still end up with a value result that won't be over the top. But I will go in and see what I can come up with in my smallish range of artsy PS skills.
    Michael
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2011
    I like the fireworks shot, but there already are several entered. The lion will definitely gets peoples' attention. #2 of the lion shots is the stronger one. The rotation centered it well. I agree with Tatiana that it needs just a little more processing, but I wouldn't go overboard on it. Try a USM with settings of 20/50/0 to give it some pop and see what you think.

If your OOF focus was done via PS, also try a version with his entire face, including his muzzle, in focus but leave just the mane OOF. See if you like it.
    edited July 11, 2011
    richtersl wrote: »
    I like the fireworks shot, but there already are several entered. The lion will definitely gets peoples' attention. #2 of the lion shots is the stronger one. The rotation centered it well. I agree with Tatiana that it needs just a little more processing, but I wouldn't go overboard on it. Try a USM with settings of 20/50/0 to give it some pop and see what you think.

If your OOF focus was done via PS, also try a version with his entire face, including his muzzle, in focus but leave just the mane OOF. See if you like it.
    Hello Linda :D Really appreciate your suggestions and spent much of sunday thinking about it trying to wrap my mind around the how to coupled with Karin + Tatiana's feedback. During lastnights session to see the what ifs with image 2 for more impact and OOF change etc. PS locked during save as. As of this morning PS didn't come out of its comma so I have nothing to show implementing towards everyones very helpful suggestions. So I will start over and try to retrace my steps as I know PS is not going to be able to save anything once I close it out. I was liking the OOF chg you suggested and thought perhaps I was getting a stronger image for POP. But only maybe. Probably just as well PS locked cause I also was thinking as I was plugging along I was starting to loose contact with the correctness of the image staying on theme and impact direction. rolleyes1.gifGoing overboard like walking in my sleep maybe. Couldn't tell. Was a long day
    Michael
    edited July 11, 2011
    Not sure I hit a better zone. Different yes but I wonder if I moved to far off base now. I feel I have gone too far away from what I thought made the original more unique... If one could call it that. Your thoughts would be most welcome. Thx in advance! :D And thanks for all the help given already.
    And Linda... That USM with settings of 20/50/0 went seriously sharp. Wow. I rarely do that and its cool to have tried it at that rate.
    Sidewalk Chalk Art
    ChaulkLionWeb2PS1558-XL.jpg
    Michael
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    I think this is a little too much.

The way I see this done is to take a half of the image and paste it (reversed) on the other side to obtain a symmetry,
    and after that I think a simple zoom will do it, with some contrast...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited July 11, 2011

The way I see this done is to take a half of the image and paste it (reversed) on the other side to obtain a symmetry,
    lol3.gif gotta go over the top to know where it is :D Define a little much mwink.gif
    No... scratch that. I figured it was a wee too hot myself especially with the higher added sharp, enhanced heavy color and contrast, but I had to post it none the less. I appreciate your saying anything at all. thank you.
    Neat trick to try that thing your suggesting. My in camera zoom with subject presented an interesting potential and I have got'n away from that or simply just killed it with this messing with PS trying to find equal measures and stay in theme. Running out of time and I see I have good company :D Thanks again
    Michael
    edited July 11, 2011

Tried that reverse thingy :D Thats really cool & I find it a really nice result for effect. Theres just too much clean up for my mangy talents to critically get the eyes completely right. Dang headscratch.gifD
    Excellent suggestion for what you were saying about acquiring a better symmetry thumb.gif
    Michael
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2011
    I prefer #1 best. Can't say why exactly, it just draws me back more than the others.
    edited July 11, 2011
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    I prefer #1 best. Can't say why exactly, it just draws me back more than the others.
    Thank you Dave :D Was a tough choice for me, as much as with many, and I really appreciate your feedback thumb.gif
    Michael