Wedding Rehearsal, Reception recommendations needed

goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited April 15, 2006 in Weddings
I'm going to Florida next weekend to my neice's wedding. I live in Michigan and thus only want what I truely need. I take mostly sports action pictures and this is a new venue for me. I'll be taking pictures at the rehearsal dinner, reception and the Sunday brunch...... I have a Canon 1DMkII, 580ex flash and just picked up a Stofen flash diffuser. I'd rather not take/use a flash bracket unless I truely need it. Any suggestions as to settings, diffuser use, flash, etc would be most helpful....

What lenses do you recommend for this (17-40, 24-70, 50, 85, 70-200??)? What mode do you use? AV for DOP control? Or just P?

Lighting will consist of outdoor (hopefully sunny) to indoor daylight to evening inside lighting.

Its my understanding that in P mode there will be harsh flash results. No fill flash. So maybe shutter piority or aperature priority mode would be best for evening inside flash use.....I'm rambling....Thanks

Greg

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 15, 2006
    I would suggest a 24-70f2.8 will meet 90+% of your needs. The 85 will be handy for portraits.

I would shoot in Av mode in ETTL outdoors, with maybe a little -2/3FEC dialed into the 580ex. If you can bag a Fong LightSPhere PJ in time , take it. Other wise the Stofen may help a bit. Indoors after dark, it may be too dim to use Av mode, where the basic exposure is set by the camera for the background and the flash exposes the foreground. You may find you have to shoot in P mode, if shooting in dim room light. Try to bounce your flash off a wall or a ceiling rather than direct flash if you can. Check your histogram as you work and you will do fine.

Relax, you know how to do this, have fun, and enjoy the day with the bride and groom.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    Fong Light Sphere
    Tell me about the Fong LS PJ. I've yet to use the Stofen. Thanks for your thumb.gif comments and suggestions. I've done a seach for the Lightsphere and found it interesting. I've ordered one on what I've read. Only problem is I'm leaving for Florida early Thursday am. Most likely wont :cry arrive in time!!!.
    Greg

pathfinder wrote:
    I would suggest a 24-70f2.8 will meet 90+% of your needs. The 85 will be handy for portraits.

I would shoot in Av mode in ETTL outdoors, with maybe a little -2/3FEC dialed into the 580ex. If you can bag a Fong LightSPhere PJ in time , take it. Other wise the Stofen may help a bit. Indoors after dark, it may be too dim to use Av mode, where the basic exposure is set by the camera for the background and the flash exposes the foreground. You may find you have to shoot in P mode, if shooting in dim room light. Try to bounce your flash off a wall or a ceiling rather than direct flash if you can. Check your histogram as you work and you will do fine.

Relax, you know how to do this, have fun, and enjoy the day with the bride and groom.