Options

Slow page loads today?

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 7, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Is there anything going on today? For the last few hours all the galleries have been loading very slowly. It's been about 7 seconds or more for the images to appear, but once they appear it seems ok....until I go to another gallery and then I wait again for images to appear. Seems to be the images themselves, not the page. Slow times for the thumbnails to show up.
http://www.openbloom.com/

I did a random image search to find another person's gallery to try someone else's galleries and I see slow image (the thumbnails) load times in other galleries too. I don't see trouble with any other web site I've been to...only smugmug seems to be loading slow...and again, it seems to be more the thumbnails loading slow, then the images will load quickly once I see the thumbnails. Strange.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MarkHNCMarkHNC Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 15, 2014
    Same Slowness Here, on "New" Smugmug
    I am working on the "new" version of my SmugMug site, but the old version is still public-facing. The old one works perfectly fine -- pages load very quickly. The new version is loading galleries very slowly, even when there's only a few images in the gallery. One gallery has only three images, and flashes on the screen under the old version, but takes several seconds to load. One gallery containing 9 images just took over 35 seconds to load.

I held off on converting for a while, hoping that it would mean any major lingering bugs would have been worked out. I pay the highest rate for my account, so I can use all the features, but am now reconsidering that expense. I am just now beginning to really promote my site, and I certainly don't want a new visitor's first impression to be that my site is too slow.

In today's world, people's attention spans will not tolerate 30+ seconds for a page to load on 30 megabit broadband!
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2014
    MarkHNC wrote: »
    In today's world, people's attention spans will not tolerate 30+ seconds for a page to load on 30 megabit broadband!

Ok, well I guess it's not just me then. I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it's back to normal soon.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    Still loading unusually slow, but at least slightly better than the other day. Taking about 4 seconds for photos to begin to appear in a gallery. Weird...and annoying ;-) It's always been much quicker than this. Tested from home and work on different high speed connections and different computers.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2014
    I contacted SmugMug Support. After the exchange of several e-mails, my site seems to be back to a reasonable speed. You may need to do the same in order to get the problem resolved. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2014
    How about now? Anyone else having trouble loading this gallery, for example: http://www.openbloom.com/CAMERAGEAR/Fuji-1024mm-Lens/

Now it's not even loading all the way for me. Not on my phone with 4G LTE, not on my 30Mb internet feed at home on my PC.

The gallery you linked loads fine for me. The problem for you is likely the problem I also experienced.

SmugMug apparently uses a CDN (Content Distribution Network), which places copies of web page elements, like our images, on servers closer to the users who might request them. Apparently, the CDN server(s) from which I was loading my site (slowly) had some form of problem that was resolved after I started my e-mail exchange with SmugMug Support.

It is likely that you are having the same experience, and are accessing a different server (or set of servers) closer to you. It would make sense that you would experience the same problem from both your cell and your home internet, because your physical location would determine which CDN servers you are accessing.

You may have to contact SmugMug Support. They will likely ask you to run a simple browser-based test and return the text results to them. This will give them enough information to know which CDN server(s) are causing the problem.

Good luck.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited November 20, 2014
    This graphic would explain both the 15th and 20th of November.

i-MLjC8T2-XL.gif

You can always check the status of SM here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2014
    I'm not really a fussy customer, but all I can say is something is definitely different over the last week. It's taking 3 or 4 seconds (but sometimes slightly less) for photos on smugmug (my site, like this page: http://www.openbloom.com/VACATION-AND-SHORT-TRIPS/CITIES/New-York-City-2014/ ) to appear initially. Once they appear, navigating through the images is then very quick. It was always much quicker than this in the recent past and distant past. Something is amiss. If I go to Flickr (which I pay $0 for), the images appear nearly instantly. But I pay $149 for Smugmug. It would be nice to have the quicker image loads again. I checked some random person's SM page and this one for example loads the initial view of the images within 1 second: http://www.vandanaphotography.com/Photography/Photo-a-day/Daily-Photos-2009/ Not sure why mine is slower. Support simply pointed me to the status page and said "our status is showing everything is good". Look, I'm not an idiot or some goober with nothing better to do than whine about page load speeds. I know what I see and I know it's different than in the past. :-) I don't know what's going on but I know it's not as fast as it used to be for me (on different computers, browsers and internet connections).

I know in the past when people were able to make CSS changes or whatever, people could hose up their site if they didn't know what they were doing. I have no customization other than the normal SM templates they offer, with my own personal tweaks SM offers in the options. Not sure if this is related to the template I'm using, but it's completely the SM offered templates and edits.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2014
    They did reply again and say there was some issue that was fixed last night, so hopefully the speed will be better soon. The Smugmug display style does in fact load quicker than the collage display style. But the collage style always loaded faster in the past for me...faster than today I mean. Let's wait and see what happens.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2014
    My site is also loading very slowly.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2014
    My site is really slow also.

Even the thumbs on top of this forum are slow to load.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2014
    I'm seeing a lot of thumbs not loading at all. Related problem?

i-T73j8gW-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2014
    Talk about timing. I just received this alert email from SM.
    Investigating
    We are currently experiencing issues serving some images and are investigating.
    Nov 24, 09:22 PST
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2014
    Well it's good to see the problem is being acknowledged.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2014
    Whatever it was, it seems to be fixed now because this morning my site is loading like it did in the past....fast. Journal style gallery loads thumbnails within about 1 second.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2014
    My martial arts instructor often says that repetition increases proficiency. This is not one of those beneficial, repetitive occurrences.

email from support =
    New Incident Status: Identified
    Images are loading more slowly than usual. Our engineers have identified the problem and are fixing it now.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2015
    Very slow load speeds right now. I notice the graph for load times is peaking up to the top at the status site.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2015
    Anyone else have images they uploaded now stuck in the processing queue? I uploaded about 160 photos just after 7:00 PST and only 10 or so are visible now. The rest are still "processing". I've emailed support - just curious if anyone else hit something like that this evening?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2015
    Looks like it got fixed already. It was sketchy for a little over one hour total.

http://status.smugmug.com/
    My Smugmug