7d Frame Capture Problem

Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited April 19, 2012 in Cameras
I've been getting a repeating problem when my 7d is in Live View mode, both in video and still modes. Basically, my camera only displays black, or noisy color streaks while in Live View mode. If I record video, the same signal is recorded on my card. If in photo mode, I get a still frame of what's displayed on the LCD. When this occurs, everything else on the camera seems to work perfectly. If I access the menu, it displays and works correctly. The camera even focuses correctly. I can even see the focus boxes appear over my black noise as the lens changes focus.

Usually I've found that leaving it turned off for a few minutes alleviates the problem and it goes back to normal, but it seems to be getting worse and currently, I can't get it working correctly. I've searched and haven't found anyone having the same problem, so I'm guessing it's time to send it in for repair. I just wondered if anyone has heard of that before or had any other suggestions to try, or any guesses to what the problem may be.

Things I've tried already:
- Different batteries, lenses, cards
- Hard resets
- "Cleared all camera settings" from menu
- Reinstalled firmware (currently using most recent 1.2.5)
- Attached an external monitor (displays same as camera LCD)
- Tried about every combination of turning off/on, modes, exposures, etc.

Things I'm about ready to try:
- Throwing it against the wall

Anyway, thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions.

-Rob
-Rob Pauza
Rob Pauza Photography

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    I've moved this to our Cameras Forum, as I think you're more likely to get the answer you're looking for there. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    Thanks David. I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

- Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    Have you replaced the CMOS backup battery? (CR1616 Lithium)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 8, 2012
    I haven't actually replaced it, but I removed it for the hard resets and gave it at least 30 min before trying to power back up. Also, I've powered up without the CMOS battery in place. Unfortunately, it didn't help.
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
    edited April 8, 2012
    Here's a photo shot while it's doing it's craziness... Sometimes it's totally black, sometimes more color. I'm seeing these messed up frames exactly how they are captured in Live View, so it makes me believe the LCD is fine.
    i-XQcMwzs-X2.jpg

Usually the frames/video is black with noise, but occasionally I'll get ones like this also:
    i-3NdWxFZ-X2.jpg
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 8, 2012
    Have you noticed a relationship between ambient temperature and the problems you are encountering?

I am suspicious that running the camera in Live View is heating either the imager or one of the power circuits, causing an intermittent failure.

Reducing the LCD brightness may (or may not) have a temporary positive impact on the severity of the problem, but I suspect that as we head into warmer months that will make the problem worse.

I do recommend authorized service for the body. Do let the service department know what you have tried and all of the effects of the problem, just as you have done here.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 8, 2012
    Thanks Ziggy for your willingness to share your knowledge. I really appreciate it.

As far as I can remember, I've only shot video outside once in cool weather (guessing mid 50's F), and without any problems. All the rest has been indoors, either in a studio or air-conditioned environment, so there shouldn't be much temperature variation.

I mostly shoot stills (not using Live View) and have never had any problems out of my 7d while doing so. I also have been doing DSLR video lately though, and this indeed is when all this started. Your overheating theory definitely seems to fit the bill, as the problem usually subsides after being turned off for a few minutes. And of course, it getting worse seems as though it's causing damage each time it does. That being said... I am aware that these things get hot and I've been extremely easy on it in terms of video use... never shooting more than a minute or so with ample cooling time between shots. It seems like it should be able to handle that without any issues. The very first time I did an actual paying video job is actually when this first appeared. Luckily, I had access to a 5d Mk2 and ended up using that.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I'm of course out of warranty with my 7d. :( I'll call someone tomorrow about service. And, I'll report back when I hear exactly what's going on so you guys will know for reference.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    Why not just send it to Canon for repair?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 9, 2012
    Just making sure there's not something I should try first before sending it off and spending the money. It seems like that's the only option though.
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
    edited April 18, 2012
    Update for you guys: (and anyone that may run into this problem)

I just received my camera back from Canon. The guy I spoke with on the phone had never heard of that problem before, but ultimately they said the image sensor went bad. Anyway, it just cost me $250 and I got it back quickly... and most importantly, it works! So, I'm a happy camper and now have a working 2nd camera for a wedding shoot this weekend.

Thanks again for the input.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    $250?! Ouch....for something they have never seen it would have been nice to throw you a bone and do it for free, then use the info they got from your camera to make sure it's not a design flaw. But, it is cheaper than a new camera.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited April 19, 2012
    Jeffro wrote: »
    $250?! Ouch....for something they have never seen it would have been nice to throw you a bone and do it for free, then use the info they got from your camera to make sure it's not a design flaw. But, it is cheaper than a new camera.

I'm not complaining. If they replaced the sensor, $250 sounds like a bargain to me.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography