HELP ME! Doing a Wedding...

BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited April 10, 2008 in Cameras
YOu can see in my sig what i have, do you think I will be okay? I need to get the SB 800 don't i? I don't plan on using flash in my typical day to day photography, i love to use natural light. But I am worried about being in a Church and all.

I know I can use my 50mm 1.4 but for the wider portraits I am a bit concerned. My 18-200 is not great in low light situations. I will not get to see the lighting of the Church until the day before the wedding so I have to be prepared.

I am NOT prepared to get another lens for I do not plan on doing a lot of weddings. I am happy with my lens choices for my typical uses right now and not ready to invest in another lens right now.

Any advice for me?

I will be able to move around during the ceremony, i am most concerned about this though, during the posed shots I can get a lot to chose from, but during the ceremony it is one time!

If you do say a flash, shouldn't i go ahead and go for the 800 instead of the 600 while i am at it? What would you do?

TIA!
Shayna
I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
www.BriShayPhotography.com

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    What would you do?
    Decline to do the job?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    If i really really really need a better lens, I'd consider renting.
    Shayna
  • fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    I suggest you decline the job.
    BriShay wrote:
    YOu can see in my sig what i have, do you think I will be okay? I need to get the SB 800 don't i? I don't plan on using flash in my typical day to day photography, i love to use natural light. But I am worried about being in a Church and all.

I know I can use my 50mm 1.4 but for the wider portraits I am a bit concerned. My 18-200 is not great in low light situations. I will not get to see the lighting of the Church until the day before the wedding so I have to be prepared.

I am NOT prepared to get another lens for I do not plan on doing a lot of weddings. I am happy with my lens choices for my typical uses right now and not ready to invest in another lens right now.

Any advice for me?

I will be able to move around during the ceremony, i am most concerned about this though, during the posed shots I can get a lot to chose from, but during the ceremony it is one time!

If you do say a flash, shouldn't i go ahead and go for the 800 instead of the 600 while i am at it? What would you do?

TIA!

Do you have experience as a second shooter or shooting events? If not, I too, suggest you decline the job. I have shot many weddings and hundreds of events and there are many different factors to consider when shooting a wedding or an event.

I will answer with this though: :-)
    I use a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 to get the wide and posed shots. You will need to find out if a flash is permitted in the church. How close will you be able to position yourself so you do not miss the critical shots during the ceremony. (Kiss, exchange of rings, plus more)

When shooting the "posed" shots you will need a flash. When is the wedding?

Will you utilize a back-up person? Do you have a second camera in the event your main camera breaks? I assume you have multiple memory cards?

How big is the church? Why can't you get in the church earlier than one day before the weddding?

I wish you the best in your decision.

frank
    :D
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    For long shots during the wedding, use a tripod.

I'd think you would need a flash for the traditional group shots afterwards.

If you open up the lens all the way for those I'd think you would have some depth of field problems--the back row or front row will be out of focus.

I'd get real familiar with what ISO you are comfortable with using that camera. Grain is better than blur.
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    How much are you charging? ear.gif
    edited April 7, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

I'd push back on the decline the job suggestion. As long as you are being honest, not charging an arm and a leg and they know what they are getting, I don't see a problem. There are people who can only afford from Walmart and can lve with Walmart quality.

My second wedding was very simple and we wanted a simple photographer. We got what we wanted and everyone was happy.
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    I shoot Canon and use a 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS, and 50mm 1.4. I also sometimes breakout the 10-22 f3.5-4.5 for the really wide shots. I assume Nikon has smiliar lenses.

I would suggest renting any lenses you need rather than buying as they could run you big $$$$. Also I would strongly suggest bringing a second camera body. I always rent a 30D or 40D just incase something goes wrong with my primary body (most times I end up throwing a lens on each and strap them both on switching back and forth between the two cameras)

You are deffinatly going to want to use a flash. I like off camera flash, but it is a bit daunting if you have never used it. At the very least your going to want Nikon's equlivlent to the Canon 580ex.

Make sure you bring enough memory. I recomend using increments of 1gig or 2 gig cards that way if anything goes wrong with a card you limit the damage. Bring more than you think you will need, I bring at least 20 gig (I tend to shoot in bursts so I average a lot of pictures)

I have never used a tri-pod, never had the time to set it up during the wedding. For me they just get in the way, JMO. I have had some success with monopods at weddings and know several photographers who use them a lot.

I dont know when the wedding is, but I would suggest reading as much as you can before hand. There are some excellent posts throughout this forum by some amazing wedding photographers and just about all are more than willing to lend a hand answering questions.

If I can be of any further help feel free to ask.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited April 7, 2008
    BriShay,

Do consider what you may be risking if you have no practical experience and too little equipment. The suggestion of working as a second shooter is a very good one until you gain the experience to know when to solo. There really is a lot to learn.

At very least, do find a way to backup your equipment. If you don't have extra and duplicate everything, you and your client are at great risk.

One great thing about your Nikon D80, it has a "Commander" flash capability. Do get the SB800 and learn how to use it off-camera in addition to your camera's builtin flash for fill.

Rent an 18-50mm(ish), f2.8 lens from somewhere and learn how to use it. If the pastor/priest does not allow flash during the ceremony, it will be your best friend.

Build a couple of inexpensive light modifiers and learn how to use them on the SB800.

A scoop type reflector:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

... and the "Better Bounce Card"
    http://abetterbouncecard.com/

If you want a commercial product, Joe Demb makes some very nice products:
    http://www.joedembphotography.com/flipit/

I use all of these for different situations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Short answer - You don't have the right equipment and or enough equipment to do the job right. At a minimum, you should think about doubling up on your camera body, and find a faster longer lens. You don't have to buy, but you could rent the lens for at least a week before the event so you can get familiar with it. Rent the camera body as well.

Long answer - read the last link in my siggy....
    edited April 7, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Nothing, it is for a family member, it is a small Church wedding and they asked me to do it when they thought all I had was a point and shoot! (They asked me about a year ago)

That being said, they really wasn't expecting high dollar photos to come out of this or else they wouldn't have asked me to do it with a point and shoot!

That being said, I obviously want to do the best that I can personally do.

The wedding is in Kentucky, where my family is, I will be going there for the wedding and attending the reheasal. That is why i can't get there ahead of time. It is May 31st, so weather pending we plan to take a lot of group shots outside as well.
    Shayna
    edited April 7, 2008
    OH! ANd thanks for the advice too, it is a small Church and there are no rules as far as flash goes, that is all up to the Bride and Groom!

She has given me a list and i have my own ideas of shots as well.

I've been wanting to get a flash anyway, i will get one ahead of time to play around with.

THANKS EVERYONE!
    Shayna
    edited April 7, 2008
    Nothing wrong w/ that.

I'm sure they do. But play it on the safe side and just make sure they understand that you like to take pictures, but aren't a pro wedding photographer. This way in case the worst scenario happens, there won't be bad blood or high expectations about what your going to deliver.

I would try to tell them to get a pro photog and you shoot b/u as others have said. This is once in a lifetime. No repeats. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't trust any family member that wasn't a pro to shoot my wedding.

If your gonna do it anyway. I'd recommend a strobe like you mentioned and a Gary Fong Lightsphere. These things are a location shooters best friend when youdon't have time to stage lights.

-Jon
    edited April 7, 2008
    THanks for the Lightsphere link, i am getting that for sure!!!!
    Shayna
    edited April 7, 2008
    I'd echo spending some time on this site. I just did my first wedding and found some great info on here.

In the smugmug communities there is a wedding section where you can look at picture after picture to get ideas.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    I think you can do an adequate job with your gear. Worst case - pump up the ISO and do some post-noise reduction. I have done weddings with worse gear historically. It can be done. Just do your best - it's for free, they should be grateful for anything.
    edited April 7, 2008
    Thank you all! I love your honest advice! I look forward to doing it, but i will make SURE she understands the situation. THe other "photographer" is P&S only...if I don't do it it will probably be two P&S so i thought I'd give it a go. My passion isn't weddings though, but I still think it will be fun.
    Shayna
    edited April 7, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    Thank you all! I love your honest advice! I look forward to doing it, but i will make SURE she understands the situation. THe other "photographer" is P&S only...if I don't do it it will probably be two P&S so i thought I'd give it a go. My passion isn't weddings though, but I still think it will be fun.

hope it doesn't sound like we are jumping on you. You have jumped into a group that is passionate about photography.
    edited April 7, 2008
    BriShay wrote:

I'm glad you didn't take our comments as anything against you personally. A wedding is a pretty serious event for most brides. As long as you make clear your capabilities, the bride should be pretty happy.

If you can attend a wedding being shot by someone else before the family wedding you could study their style and process.

While the LightSphere products work pretty well in smaller rooms and hallways, I prefer the scoop modifiers for high ceilings and dark or colored walls and ceilings. You can make your own using the directions at the previous link I supplied, or we have a DGrinner selling them in the Flea Market. I made three of the scoops for less than $10 USD.
    ziggy53
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    TIA!

Well I think the SB-600 will do all that you need and more. The SB-800 ($309 B&H) at $125 more is great but for just one wedding and the fact that you don't really use flash often really indicates the 600 is what you need. And it will throw an F8 light beam as far as you could need at any typical wedding.

Good luck with the wedding and bring alot of extra AA batteries to keep your flash recycle time down and have fun.
    edited April 8, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    hope it doesn't sound like we are jumping on you. You have jumped into a group that is passionate about photography.

No!! Not at all!!! I have been a "lurker" for a while, I know how you guys are :) That is why I want to be here!!!!! ANd why i ask, i know i will get honest answers and that is what i want!

Thanks to you all!
    Shayna
    edited April 8, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm glad you didn't take our comments as anything against you personally. A wedding is a pretty serious event for most brides. As long as you make clear your capabilities, the bride should be pretty happy.

If you can attend a wedding being shot by someone else before the family wedding you could study their style and process.

While the LightSphere products work pretty well in smaller rooms and hallways, I prefer the scoop modifiers for high ceilings and dark or colored walls and ceilings. You can make your own using the directions at the previous link I supplied, or we have a DGrinner selling them in the Flea Market. I made three of the scoops for less than $10 USD.

Not at all! Attending a wedding is a great idea!

I will study up on the scoops for sure! I have some time to study and I'll be on HERE doing my research :)

You guys are awesome!!!!!! I just love that yall take the time to help us lil' folk out!
    Shayna
  • theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    The wedding is in Kentucky, where my family is, I will be going there for the wedding and attending the reheasal.

Where abouts in KY? I'm in Ashland KY myself, and I am in a similar situation. My wifes cousin wants me to take pics for her wedding and I have never really even been interesting in shooting a wedding. They all know that I am not even close to being a pro and they aren't expecting anything out of me that I can't handle.

I'm sure you will do just fine. I think the mind set of a family member from KY is probably a little different than that of a paying client in a larger city, if they are anything like my family they will appreciate the fact that they were taken by a family member and will absolutely love them. My wifes aunt took the pictures for our wedding with a basic consumer level Konica with a kit lense and although they aren't of the best quality, my wife and I both love them and will cherish them forever. :D Good luck and enjoy your visit to KY!!!!!!!!! wings.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
    edited April 8, 2008
    This is a good book to study
    To add to other thoughts. If you choose to shoot the wedding.

Between now and the wedding, take time and attend a few weddings to watch everything that is done by the photgraphers.
    Call a few local photogs and ask if you can shadow them (be honest and tell them you are shooting a wedding and would hope to gain some experience and insight into wedding photography).

This book is an excellent book to study too:
    Book Camp Kubota

Practice low light situations between now and then with your equipment. Find a local event you can volunteer to shoot. Although the bride and groom state it is ok to use a flash, it is disturbing to some.

When all is said and done... Have fun! Weddings are fun, exciting, scary, and many other emotions added into one day. :D

frank
    dr.Frank

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1

edited April 8, 2008
    Great info on weddings
    Short answer - You don't have the right equipment and or enough equipment to do the job right. At a minimum, you should think about doubling up on your camera body, and find a faster longer lens. You don't have to buy, but you could rent the lens for at least a week before the event so you can get familiar with it. Rent the camera body as well.

Long answer - read the last link in my siggy....

Scott, the information in your posting concerning weddings is outstanding! thumb.gif You are right on with everything stated. I remember shooting a wedding a few years back when I first switched to digital (around 02 or so) and one of the memory cards died... The only thing that kept me from wanting to hide is the fact I backed up all the images from the memory cards to my laptop between the ceremony and the reception and not a single image was lost.

frank
    dr.Frank

edited April 8, 2008
    Just a few images using a "scoop" modifier on a Sigma 500 DG Super flash:

From a couple of weekends ago, this is "Tim" in otherwise very poor lighting:

276642525_YPv2n-O.jpg

Illinois Representative Mitchell at the same event. Converted to BW because of a really ugly yellow poisoning from a tungston spot above.

276636171_SXxCk-O.jpg

From a wedding last year:

233444706_bZZ4A-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    edited April 8, 2008
    Where abouts in KY? I'm in Ashland KY myself, and I am in a similar situation. My wifes cousin wants me to take pics for her wedding and I have never really even been interesting in shooting a wedding. They all know that I am not even close to being a pro and they aren't expecting anything out of me that I can't handle.

I'm sure you will do just fine. I think the mind set of a family member from KY is probably a little different than that of a paying client in a larger city, if they are anything like my family they will appreciate the fact that they were taken by a family member and will absolutely love them. My wifes aunt took the pictures for our wedding with a basic consumer level Konica with a kit lense and although they aren't of the best quality, my wife and I both love them and will cherish them forever. :D Good luck and enjoy your visit to KY!!!!!!!!! wings.gif

YOU KNOW WHAT!!! You are right, us KY folk don't need the fancy stuff Laughing.gif! I actually had a family member do my wedding and I was happy with the results as well. He wasn't a pro...NOW i can probably see that my images aren't the greatest, but i was happy (and that marriage didn't last anyway Laughing.gif)

My family all live in the Lousiville area, Shelbyville...right out side of Louisville. I lived in the Lexington area while I was there. (GOOOOO WILDCATS!!!! not this year of course)

It is hard to say no, and if i do say no that isnt going to make them hire a pro Laughing.gif
    Shayna
    edited April 8, 2008
    fmkjr wrote:
    Scott, the information in your posting concerning weddings is outstanding! thumb.gif You are right on with everything stated. I remember shooting a wedding a few years back when I first switched to digital (around 02 or so) and one of the memory cards died... The only thing that kept me from wanting to hide is the fact I backed up all the images from the memory cards to my laptop between the ceremony and the reception and not a single image was lost.

frank

I totally agree! I read it and got a lot out of it! Thank you for taking the time to do that.

Ziggy, that is a difference! Thanks for posting the pics!
    Shayna
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    fmkjr wrote:

frank
    Thank you. That write up referenced in my siggy is the result of about 2 years experience - not a lot. There are many, many folks here who have much more experience that do I. As I gain more, I will be updating that write up as I see it being appropriate.

My hope is that my simple act of supplying that information will save someone else from making some the mistakes I did.
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    J

From a wedding last year:

233444706_bZZ4A-O.jpg

Umm what did you do that photo?? Looks like old school heavy airbrushing to remove the background.
    edited April 8, 2008
    Umm what did you do that photo?? Looks like old school heavy airbrushing to remove the background.
    Pot, come in, this is Kettle. Do you read me? Over.