Options

The Dead Trees of Deadvlei

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited July 24, 2015 in Landscapes
I got to check off a long-standing bucket list item of mine the other day, shooting the dead trees of Deadvlei, in the red sand dunes of the Namibian desert of Africa. So much fun!
We got up early the first morning to beat the crowds, a plan that ultimately backfired on us because we had no idea where the dead trees were. So we wandered around aimlessly and took a few shots in the dunes.

FD3_0300-X2.jpg

FD3_0307-X2.jpg

7D2_0349-X2.jpg

Driving out of the dunes, we saw where everyone else had parked, and then noticed all the foot prints heading over the dunes to what must be Deadvlei. After a mile hike in deep sand, we found it. Of course being late morning, the light was less than ideal. But still pretty cool!

FD3_0347-X2.jpg

FD3_0359-X2.jpg

FD3_0366-X2.jpg

Next morning, we headed straight there. The light changes very quickly and you get nicer shots before the sun reaches the ground.

IMG_9994-X2.jpg

IMG_0005-X2.jpg

IMG_0026-X2.jpg

FD3_0438-X2.jpg

Not the easiest place to get to, but shooting Deadvlei was a terrific experience.

Thanks for looking and feedback is always welcome.

-joel

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2015
    Wow. Joel, these are simply fabulous.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2015
    Wonderful set Bro! Nice layers and nicely framed! I take it you had to be there around noon?
    Great experience I am sure!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2015
    Love em all, Joel, and I would personally hang that last one clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Wow. Joel, these are simply fabulous.
    Thank you, Don! They were a lot of fun to shoot.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I like this second time as well! ;o)
    Thanks, man! :D
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Love em all, Joel, and I would personally hang that last one clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thanks, Dan! That's my wife's favorite too and will most likely be hanging soon. nod.gif
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2015
    Just....WOW!!! Awesome pics. With minimal shadows on the trees it does look as if the sun is directly overhead. Absolutely gorgeous! bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited July 15, 2015
    Great set Joel. The last three just blow me away. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2015
    Joel, simply fantastic! Just incredible shots here. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2015
    The second photo isn't what you were after but it's terrific, and would work well in black and white. I'd consider cropping it just above the bush that's near the center at the bottom.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2015
    The second photo isn't what you were after but it's terrific, and would work well in black and white. I'd consider cropping it just above the bush that's near the center at the bottom.

15524779-Ti.gif I love the second shot!

• Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2015
    Wonderful, absolutely wonderful.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2015
    Yup... awesome compositions, color, light, etc. WOW, Joel!!
    Last one is completely fantastic!!! I'd buy it... and I never buy photographs!
    I second the motion for some B&W too!

You proly know, but, lots of sensor dust in several.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2015
    Great shots! Tell us about getting there!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited July 16, 2015
    Blown away by these. Joel, this is a delicious set of dead trees! I never tire from viewing that area of Namibia. Very happy for you that you could see and take shots of this area before it is gone. There is also a "Show us your dead trees" thread in here somewhere. deal.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DougMartinVisualsDougMartinVisuals Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2015
    Simply incredible.
    www.dougmartinvisuals.com

"Some times you eat the bear... and some times the bear eats you."
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wonderful set Bro! Nice layers and nicely framed! I take it you had to be there around noon?
    Great experience I am sure!
    Thanks, man. I explained that in narrative, but here's a summary. This was two separate shoots. The first one with the bright ground was late morning. The second one with the darker ground was shortly after dawn.
    Richard wrote: »
    Great set Joel. The last three just blow me away. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks, Richard. Those are the early morning shots, which I agree are the best.
    Hey Don, thanks for the input. I'll try your suggestion!
    Joel, simply fantastic! Just incredible shots here. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif I love the second shot!
    Just....WOW!!! Awesome pics. With minimal shadows on the trees it does look as if the sun is directly overhead. Absolutely gorgeous! bowdown.gif
    Thanks, Wayne. Sorry about the duplicate thread and I've merged both of your comments here. I appreciate your kind and thoughtful comments.
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Wonderful, absolutely wonderful.
    Thanks, Gary!
    Simply incredible.
    Thanks, Doug!
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    Yup... awesome compositions, color, light, etc. WOW, Joel!!
    Last one is completely fantastic!!! I'd buy it... and I never buy photographs!
    I second the motion for some B&W too!

You proly know, but, lots of sensor dust in several.
    Thanks very much, Eric! As I mentioned to Taz, I do intend to print that last one. It's my wife's favorite too.

Dust is everywhere in Africa and it gets into everything.. These were all processed quickly on the road on my laptop and frankly I punted on fixing up a lot of the spots.
    Travel wrote: »
    Great shots! Tell us about getting there!
    Thanks, Travel! This particular destination was near the end of a four week road trip through Botswana and Namibia. So our route to get there was crazy. If one wanted to go straight there, they would fly into Windhoek, the capital, and drive pretty much a full-day on dirt roads to Sossusvlei (although Google maps puts it at just 5 1/2 hours.) If you stay inside the park, you can be in the dunes pretty much at dawn. It's an hour's drive to the dunes if you stay at the Sesriem campground just inside the park. You will need advanced reservations.
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Blown away by these. Joel, this is a delicious set of dead trees! I never tire from viewing that area of Namibia. Very happy for you that you could see and take shots of this area before it is gone. There is also a "Show us your dead trees" thread in here somewhere. deal.gif
    Thanks, David. This was definitely a bucket list opportunity for me which really panned out. I did think about reviving the dead-tree thread with a shot or two. mwink.gif
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2015
    A great set of images. I particularly like the 1st image from your second morning.

I understand how there can be many factors that are involved in how we compose an image, but I really like this one for the fact that you got the complete trees in the composition with out having to chop some off of the tops. A really stunning image thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2015
    Outstanding work, Joel. I've got to think that several of these images would be highly marketable. clap.gifclap

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2015
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2015
    Simply WOW! Last one is my fav but all are great. Now I'm jealous - I've always wanted to visit this place.
    -Len
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2015
    Outstanding work, Joel. I've got to think that several of these images would be highly marketable. clap.gifclap

Thanks Tom! Good to have you checking in here and thanks for the very generous words. I've long toyed with the idea of going on the local wine and art festival tour in my old age. And if I do, I'll be sure and bring a couple of these along. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2015
    jerryr wrote: »
    very nice - I like the sunrise one !

Thanks, Jerry. I like the sunrise shots the best as well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2015
    Simply WOW! Last one is my fav but all are great. Now I'm jealous - I've always wanted to visit this place.
    -Len

Thanks, Len! You too, eh? It didn't disappoint! You should go for sure. nod.gifdeal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great set of images. I particularly like the 1st image from your second morning.

I understand how there can be many factors that are involved in how we compose an image, but I really like this one for the fact that you got the complete trees in the composition with out having to chop some off of the tops. A really stunning image thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks for the feedback, Phil! Here are a few more along those lines just for you! :D

IMG_0032-Edit-X2.jpg

FD3_0434-X2.jpg

FD3_0454-X2.jpg

And one more with a clipped tree, just because i like it.

IMG_0022-Edit-X2.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2015
    Bro the glow in this newest 4 shots is PERFECT!bowdown.giflustclap.gif
    Especially #2 and #3 of this sequence!
  • Options
    toferbaseballtoferbaseball Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2015
    Great shots!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chris .. Aka.."Tofer"- Toferphotography toferphotography.smugmug.com ~ Canon EOS 7D 18-135 3.5IS / GoPro Hero4 Silver / Rebel XT (350D) ~ Tamron 17-35mm SP AF 2.8 ~ Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3 DG Macro // Canon 75-300 zoom // Canon 430ex // - (Motorola Droid) - Lowepro Slingpack ==> Facebook