Nine Pipe National wildlife refuge

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited July 28, 2015 in Landscapes
I was at the Nine pipe area for a sunset shot. All day there were white puffy clouds hanging about the Mission Range. By sunset they were gone. Men plan God chuckles.

Below are a couple images captured while waiting for the spectacular sunset I imagined, but didn't happen.

IMG_6132-L.jpg

IMG_6164-L.jpg

Comments and critique are always welcome.

Phil
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    Hah! I like that 'Men plan, God Chuckles' phrase! I always tell fellow shooters, sometimes mother nature smiles at you and sometimes she laughs at you! We hope for the former, but if latter occurs, we have to laugh with her and try again!

I am sucker for beams of light, so second shot is superb to me!thumb.gif

On first, one, because the background has blue patch, it has created multiple horizontal lines.....maybe if you got even lower and put them across the uniform blue sky....it may be even more appealing!

Cheers Phil!
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2015
    I agree that the second one is very cool, although it's not very large on my monitor. Those of us who chase great light don't catch it very often.
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2015
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2015
    Even though the clouds didn't cooperate Phil, I still really like the shot. In my experience it seems that great sunsets just seem to appear out of thin air ...so to speak. :D
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2015
    Heavenly!
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2015
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2015
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I have been on the road for about 4 weeks. Early on my laptop decided to go on strike, so I left it with a friend in Montana to get repaired. It's fixed, and I am a day from the house. I will be processing and posting some images soon.

Phil

• toferbaseballtoferbaseball Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    IMG_6132-L.jpg

Great DOF on this one!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Chris .. Aka.."Tofer"- Toferphotography toferphotography.smugmug.com ~ Canon EOS 7D 18-135 3.5IS / GoPro Hero4 Silver / Rebel XT (350D) ~ Tamron 17-35mm SP AF 2.8 ~ Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3 DG Macro // Canon 75-300 zoom // Canon 430ex // - (Motorola Droid) - Lowepro Slingpack ==> Facebook
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Men plan God chuckles.

Phil

That first one is a beauty! I can't even count how many chuckles God has had at my expense... this phrase it all too true! I think sometimes God does that to teach us patience (or make us catch up to Karma). I had one shot I planned the heck out of, it was going to be perfect..... but when I drove the 1.5 hours to the beach after leaving work early and hiked the 1 mile incline to the spot, the fog bank had the lighthouse (1 mile out at sea) completely obscured, trekked back down to the car pissing and moaning the whole way just to turn around and discover with 20 minutes to full sunset the fog was burning off. I sprinted all the way up the hill to the spot in order to get my award winning shot! Had God not taken mercy on me....but I swear he was giggling at me while I ran up that hill with my camera pack bouncing on my back and my tripod snagging in tree limbs the whole way! rolleyes1.gif

Sunset%20Solitude-L.jpg
    Lee Wiren
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 26, 2015
    ^ I stalked Tillamook Rock for an hour up on that hill while my wife wasn't exactly waiting patiently and while God Beams were present nearby, none hit the lighthouse while I was there. A lesson in futility. I am quite sure that while walking back to the nearby parking lot, the light probably became perfect. I knew then that in ten years when I come back that way, I might get what I wanted.

Never been to Nine Pipe. Sounds interesting. Something I have to look up.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2015
    Wiren wrote: »
    That first one is a beauty! I can't even count how many chuckles God has had at my expense... this phrase it all too true! I think sometimes God does that to teach us patience (or make us catch up to Karma). I had one shot I planned the heck out of, it was going to be perfect..... but when I drove the 1.5 hours to the beach after leaving work early and hiked the 1 mile incline to the spot, the fog bank had the lighthouse (1 mile out at sea) completely obscured, trekked back down to the car pissing and moaning the whole way just to turn around and discover with 20 minutes to full sunset the fog was burning off. I sprinted all the way up the hill to the spot in order to get my award winning shot! Had God not taken mercy on me....but I swear he was giggling at me while I ran up that hill with my camera pack bouncing on my back and my tripod snagging in tree limbs the whole way! rolleyes1.gif

Sunset%20Solitude-L.jpg

Great shot Lee. Patience is definitely a skill that all photographers must cultivate.
    David_S85 wrote: »
    ^ I stalked Tillamook Rock for an hour up on that hill while my wife wasn't exactly waiting patiently and while God Beams were present nearby, none hit the lighthouse while I was there. A lesson in futility. I am quite sure that while walking back to the nearby parking lot, the light probably became perfect. I knew then that in ten years when I come back that way, I might get what I wanted.

Never been to Nine Pipe. Sounds interesting. Something I have to look up.

David, Nine Pipes is about 45minutes north of Missoula, also near by is the National Bison Range with opportunities for wildlife, rolling hills and views of the Mission range.

Phil