D750 or Fuji XT1?

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2014
    Good point, the EVF is the trickiest to get used to coming from DSLR. I like the pre exposure mode for most of my shots except when using strobes. When using strobes I am usually overpowering ambient so the EVF is totally black. Have to switch pre exposure off at that point.
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    Anyone smarter than I know if Fuji can address the limited ISO (ISO 200 RAW only no lower) and shutter speed (1/4000) via firmware updates? Can't wait until tomorrow!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 12, 2014
    bike21 wrote: »
    Anyone smarter than I know if Fuji can address the limited ISO (ISO 200 RAW only no lower) and shutter speed (1/4000) via firmware updates? Can't wait until tomorrow!

No, I don't think that either of those specifications is alterable through firmware.

To "simulate" a 100 ISO you can just overexpose @ ISO 200 and then recover the RAW image file in post-processing. This does clip highlights, however.

A better solution is to use a Neutral Density filter to reduce the lens' efficiency.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014

I'm happy to have a built-in ND filter on the X100T, does the X-T1 have that?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    No. The X100S has it, though.

The upcoming Fuji firmware updates for trhe X-T1 (and possible even the X100S and other models) is said to include an electronic shutter capable of 1/32000 sec.
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery
    edited December 12, 2014

Upcoming firmware 12/18/14 will increase shutter with an electronic one but I don't think ISO RAW below 200 will be part of it.
    edited December 13, 2014
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2014
    ^5

So whatdoyathink?
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited December 13, 2014
    So far so good, love the build quality and how intuitive it is to use (menus as well). Got home late last night thanks to the weather in SFO and started to familiarize with it from the comfort of the couch. ISO performance seems very good and enjoyed playing with the Fuji app as well on the phone. Also love how light and compact it is, that much is hard to argue with.

I'm turning wrenches & waxing skis part time at REI over the holiday so I'm going to take the camera there today and do some documentary stuff. Then heading up the mountains for a few days so we'll see what I find up there.
    edited December 15, 2014
    Still enjoying my time with it!

3410017e3869e1f172d4f6be305d5a30.jpg
    edited December 18, 2014
    Well, the rental period has come and gone & I can honestly say I miss the X-T1 already. Just as I snapped the last few shots yesterday I was starting to feel comfortable with it and yearning to really get to know it. From the first few moments it felt natural & intuitive (even the menus) and I didn't want to put it down. Although I wasn't able to shoot with it as much as planned, I was ultimately very impressed with the IQ and performance. The 23mm f/1.4 performed superbly and was very sharp. I mean s-h-a-r-p. thumb.gif

I'll share a handful of pics below all SOOC with the exception of minor crops. The in camera JPEG processing is superb and after comparing the RAW files pre & post I no longer have concerns about editing in Lightroom as LR has been updated nicely. Everything was caputred handheld with the exception of the night highway exposure.

Tommy giving the skis a good base grind. I found the focusing quite good overall as that was a concern. Of course I learned some aspects if better focusing during the last evening, so now I'm even more impressed.
    i-2Sz9Fg2-XL.jpg

Evan mounting up the hardware; again good indoor autofocus even at ISO 400 and good skin tones.
    i-FQ7Bck3-XL.jpg

Tools of the trade. Really enjoyed shooting in-camera black & white, the added filter selections actually work well.
    i-Nb6Pfns-XL.jpg

Captured this on the commute home, wanted to test noise at night with some longer exposures. Great IQ overall. Too bad I was already cold from the ride home and has my crappy Tamrac Zipshot tripod otherwise I would have played longer.
    i-gNf6Gxr-XL.jpg

What's a test without a cat? I found bokeh to be very good at f/2 and below as was ISO 3200 performance as seen here. Even ISO 6400 images were very clean!
    i-vJMH9D3-L.jpg

This was one of the big tests I wanted to do, fading light in a landscape scene. I was hammering up the icy pass to snap this before sunset after a fantastic powder day at Vail (should've brought camera along - doh!). This frame is very sharp throughout and I now feel confident in printing even large prints.
    i-Vgn4b2z-XL.jpg

The Velvia setting is nice and I love the color & tones. Since LR now supports RAF (raw) files you can now match the in camera processing very close to JPG processing. A big plus if worried about dynamic range which seemed pretty impressive. I was able to pull a lot of shadows out of various images very cleanly.
    i-f28R9g9-XL.jpg

For you rust junkies. Cropped, but otherwise SOOC. Great detail and color waiting to pushed if needed.
    i-rzsWjzB-XL.jpg

Another clean and sharp image without touching it a bit.
    i-3bCW5wb-XL.jpg

I had my wife snap this from the passenger side of the car. Impressed once again (cropped).
    i-8dc4jTC-XL.jpg

Once again the in-camera B&W shines and there is plenty of DR to pull out here.
    i-BdZvK7K-XL.jpg

This was from a raw file with zero processing.
    i-94fcTLw-XL.jpg

Tonal range is excellent again, I think I'm sold.
    i-vHg78n6-XL.jpg

Found this building in Georgetown on the way home, need to go back and shoot pictures here all day. Lots of great old buildings & possibilities. (cropped)
    i-7vw6VC5-XL.jpg

So that's it. Overall I'm very impressed and with the line of available lenses growing I'm probably at 80% or so for dropping my DSLRs. Not to say I won't come back if I make the switch but for my needs & shooting style this camera more than fits the bill. In fact, I get giddy thinking of shooting with the Fuji vs. my Nikons. Call it weird romanticism or something but I simply enjoyed shooting with it. Kind of akin to shooting with my slow but amazing Sigma DP1. I simply dig it.

For the next safari or big sports event I'd probably rent a FF SLR just to cover my bases, but that isn't my thing on a regular basis. The sports I'll be shooting will be more environmental with the focus on the landscape and not necessarily the athlete. So mega autofocus performance need not apply here.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    It is nice to be different ... and in this case different good.

I just picked up the 50-140 f/2.8 ... a very sweet lens for how I shoot. BTW- Today, December 18th, is a big firmware upgrade day. The XP1, XE2 and the XT1 all got free firmware upgrades to even enhance the camera over what you just experienced.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2014
    I would strongly consider the Fuji XR1 because it has lens interchangeability, which the x100S and the successor X100T do not. The Fuji 23mm ( 35mm equivalent) focal length is very limiting. As Matthew wrote, the D750 and the Fuji compacts are very different. I borrowed a Fuji XR1 and liked it very much, especially the hybrid viewfinder. Can you utilize two different systems?
    Stan
    edited December 20, 2014
    lightyear wrote: »
    I would strongly consider the Fuji XR1 because it has lens interchangeability, which the x100S and the successor X100T do not. The Fuji 23mm ( 35mm equivalent) focal length is very limiting. As Matthew wrote, the D750 and the Fuji compacts are very different. I borrowed a Fuji XR1 and liked it very much, especially the hybrid viewfinder. Can you utilize two different systems?
    Stan

Is it an xr1 or x-t1 you are referring too? There isn't an xr1 as far as I can tell.

Yes, the x100 series you can't change the lens, but I have found the limitation to be quite liberating at the same time. Instead of paralysis by analysis thinking of what lenses to bring, having one fixed lens makes me think about the shot. My x100s and fuji x-t1 with a 56 1.2 has narrowed down my lens choices in regards to portrait and environmental portraits, but has opened up new possibilities. Those two cover most of my needs when doing portraits.

The leaf shutter of the x100s and built in ND filter has opened up a new way of shooting with strobes and f2 midday is possible now. Yes, the x100 series is limiting in one sense but has opened up new possibilities too.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2014
    lightyear wrote: »
    Stan

Yeah, that was my biggest quibble with the X100T. I felt like it cost so much, and was so big and bulky, that it was tough to justify compared to just getting a freaking X-T1, X-E2, or X-A1.

I know it certainly has its niche, and is a great camera for many types of folks. But for me, I just can't give up interchangeable lenses. I shoot too many different things.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited December 21, 2014
    Yeah, that was my biggest quibble with the X100T. I felt like it cost so much, and was so big and bulky, that it was tough to justify compared to just getting a freaking X-T1, X-E2, or X-A1.

I know it certainly has its niche, and is a great camera for many types of folks. But for me, I just can't give up interchangeable lenses. I shoot too many different things.

Obviously I came to a different conclusion. Shooting events 35mm was my mostly used focal length on the wide end. I shoot a two camera combo, wide angle on one camera and a telephoto on the other. The x100s has been a great compliment and much better for me than the bulk of a DSLR with a wide angle zoom or prime. The x100s is bigger than a point and shoot but hardly the bulk of even a entry level DSLR. I've never been able to fit a DSLR into cargo pants but I can with the x100s.
  • nathanphotonathanphoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 31, 2014
    I shoot with 3 Nikon pro bodies, and 14 Nikkor lenses, but Oct 1st I got an X-T1 with 3 Fuji lenses. I live in Italy, but on a 3 week trip around Italy as a guest instructor I took both my Nikon full frame and my Fuji X-T1. I took over 3000 photos, and only 19 photos were with the Nikon! And that was to test a Nikon lens that was back from repair. I haven't decided YET to sell all my Nikon gear, but we'll see. And as far as the D300 goes, I have it and a D300S, and a D700, but with a Nikon battery grip and a D2X battery inside, the D300 you have can do 8 frames a second. Although my new Fuji X-T1 does 8 frames per second without the grip (which I do also have).

The Fuji X-t1 is everything and more that the Nikon Df was supposed to be, in my opinion.
    edited January 3, 2015
    Thanks for the thoughts Nathan, and everyone else. Really appreciated the ideas and discussion. As of this morning I own no more Nikon bodies and will be ordering my X-T1 shortly. Already have the 23mm f/1.4 here as I took advantage of the good sales that were going on. Going to grab a Rokinon 12mm as well and roll with two primes for a bit. The new 16-55 f/2.8 will be next on the list!

Can't wait to start shooting with it!
    edited January 3, 2015
    I have been shooting exclusively with my fuji setup. I imagine you have run into the bad battery life. I got some Wasabi compatible batteries and charges so it helps having extra batteries. The fuji system does have it's quirks compared to Nikon but I have started to get used to the differences. It becomes second nature like it was getting used to the Nikon quirks. I picked up one of my Nikons a couple days ago and remarked how big it is compared to the x-t1. So far I don't feel I have missed a shot and I am getting the same amount of keepers as I did with the Nikons.
    edited January 8, 2015
    Good to hear John! Of course my camera came in this morning as the phone was ringing to tell me I'm going on a trip. Thought about unboxing it real quick and bringing it along but decided against it. Best to enjoy the process and inspect it at home methinks. Can't wait to get home on Sunday!
    edited January 12, 2015
    First thing I did tonight when I got home from my trip was unpack & charge this sucker up! Haven't been this excited perhaps ever for a new camera.

a6a07163d7b374a22f7d0b4048e9b517.jpg
    edited January 12, 2015
    Lovely piece of kit! thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    first thing i did tonight when i got home from my trip was unpack & charge this sucker up! Haven't been this excited perhaps ever for a new camera.

a6a07163d7b374a22f7d0b4048e9b517.jpg

congratulations on your new toy!
  • merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    I have had mine for about six months, and it is fantastic! Congratulations, and post lots of photographs.
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery
  • JeepheadJeephead Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2015
    I have been looking at this camera as well. I still shoot with my d80 and love it and am thinking about upgrading. The D750 does look good but so does the XT-1 with a the 56mm f1.2. The thought of changing over to a camera with no lens, no TTL/commander mode kind of scares me. I have a lot invested in glass. I am sure the D750 is a huge jump up from the D80. I want to shoot more available light/no flash photos. Still would like to get my hands on a Fuji though. We do not have any place around here that rents gear out.
    edited January 14, 2015
    Jeephead wrote: »
    I have been looking at this camera as well. I still shoot with my d80 and love it and am thinking about upgrading. The D750 does look good but so does the XT-1 with a the 56mm f1.2. The thought of changing over to a camera with no lens, no TTL/commander mode kind of scares me. I have a lot invested in glass. I am sure the D750 is a huge jump up from the D80. I want to shoot more available light/no flash photos. Still would like to get my hands on a Fuji though. We do not have any place around here that rents gear out.

Either body would be a significant improvement in high-ISO treatment, compared to the Nikon D80. The Nikon D750 might be best if you already have decent FX lenses and wish to use them on a larger sensor body.

What types of photography interest you? Please be as complete as possible.

What, relating to the D80, are you hoping to improve?

What lenses do you already have?

You mention "TTL/commander mode" but then you say, "I want to shoot more available light/no flash photos."

What flash(es) do you own and how do you use flash in your photography?

What situations would you like to use available light?

Just trying to get a handle on what you have vs what you might need to further your photography.
    ziggy53
    edited January 15, 2015
    Jeephead wrote: »
    no TTL/commander mode kind of scares me. I have a lot invested in glass. I am sure the D750 is a huge jump up from the D80. I want to shoot more available light/no flash photos.

I can use my SB600/SB900 non-TTL just fine on the X-T1. Once I got used to shooting with my flashes in manual not using TTL was a snap. Especially doing the limited studio type stuff I've done. So as long as you are comfortable in ditching TTL you can keep your Nikon flashes. I am! (except for the SB900 which is overkill for me as I have two SB600s)

Best news of the day? My cheap wireless triggers still work with the X-T1 as well!
    edited January 15, 2015
    I can use my SB600/SB900 non-TTL just fine on the X-T1. Once I got used to shooting with my flashes in manual not using TTL was a snap. Especially doing the limited studio type stuff I've done. So as long as you are comfortable in ditching TTL you can keep your Nikon flashes. I am! (except for the SB900 which is overkill for me as I have two SB600s)

Best news of the day? My cheap wireless triggers still work with the X-T1 as well!

I've also found the optical slave modes of flashes can be used in a pinch. The X-t1 has the external flash that can be used in command mode. It does put out light but if the OCF is stringer you don't see it but it does add a second catchlight when doing portraits.
  • JesperJesper Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2015
    I'm in the same dilemma - D750 or Fuji X-T1?

Within the same budget, I can get either the D750 with the 24-120/f4 (and I also own a SB-600 speedlite and the 50mm/f1.8) or the Fuji X-T1 with 18-135mm, 35mm/f1.4 and the Nissin i40 flash (and yes, then I can sell the Nikon stuff and get some cash that way)

I'm a serious amateur, coming from a D90 (and a broken 18-200 lens), and what I buy now will be used the next 5-6 years, for budget reasons. I'm not going to shoot sport or landscapes, but mainly people, kids, portraits, pets, band performances and parties/weddings (some times paid, but not often). Mainly indoor, in the dark Danish winter, and because of that I was looking very much forward to the D750 because of its amazing performance in low light (IQ and AF).

But the more I research the Fuji camera and lenses, I feel dragged into that philosophy and the apparently very good results straight out of camera. I'm not a pixel peeper or a RAW-fidling expert (I have actually promised myself to use RAW more with the new camera), and the less I have to tweak in post, the better. Which is not to say that I'm a point-n-shooter who use the camera on auto and know nothing about technique. I started with manual cameras and developed prints myself when 14 years old - 22 years ago. :-)

I use my Sony RX-100 for travel and when size matters - I don't mind the size of a DSLR, which I see many find is a major advantage with the mirrorless systems. Also I don't do much video right now (mainly with my smartphone) but I expect video to be more important for me during the next 5 years, I will use my new camera. And the D750 is apparently a lot better in that department.

So my question to those who have experience with X-T1 and D750 or other Nikon high-end SLR's: Will the AF of the X-T1 be adequate for kids/animals in motion? Will the low light quality of X-T1 be far behind the D750 in real live, or only when pixel peeping? Anything else I should be aware of when choosing?

Thanks for your help - and sorry for my long-windedness
    edited January 18, 2015
    For fast moving object focus, you would be better off with the D750, the x-t1 and mirrorless is almost there. However, I prefer the xt-1. I have a D700 and D3s as well as the xt-1 and 56 1.2. If I know I am going to be shooting action like sports or wildlife I grab the Nikons. For everything else I grab my x100s and x-t1 even when I go to family event where my nieces and nephews are running around the house.

If I were you and you decide the fuji route I would skip the Nissin flash and just get a yongnuou flash unless ttl is a must have. Fuji is rumored to be developing a new flash and enable HSS as well as ttl.
    Jesper wrote: »
    I'm in the same dilemma - D750 or Fuji X-T1?

Within the same budget, I can get either the D750 with the 24-120/f4 (and I also own a SB-600 speedlite and the 50mm/f1.8) or the Fuji X-T1 with 18-135mm, 35mm/f1.4 and the Nissin i40 flash (and yes, then I can sell the Nikon stuff and get some cash that way)

I'm a serious amateur, coming from a D90 (and a broken 18-200 lens), and what I buy now will be used the next 5-6 years, for budget reasons. I'm not going to shoot sport or landscapes, but mainly people, kids, portraits, pets, band performances and parties/weddings (some times paid, but not often). Mainly indoor, in the dark Danish winter, and because of that I was looking very much forward to the D750 because of its amazing performance in low light (IQ and AF).

But the more I research the Fuji camera and lenses, I feel dragged into that philosophy and the apparently very good results straight out of camera. I'm not a pixel peeper or a RAW-fidling expert (I have actually promised myself to use RAW more with the new camera), and the less I have to tweak in post, the better. Which is not to say that I'm a point-n-shooter who use the camera on auto and know nothing about technique. I started with manual cameras and developed prints myself when 14 years old - 22 years ago. :-)

I use my Sony RX-100 for travel and when size matters - I don't mind the size of a DSLR, which I see many find is a major advantage with the mirrorless systems. Also I don't do much video right now (mainly with my smartphone) but I expect video to be more important for me during the next 5 years, I will use my new camera. And the D750 is apparently a lot better in that department.

So my question to those who have experience with X-T1 and D750 or other Nikon high-end SLR's: Will the AF of the X-T1 be adequate for kids/animals in motion? Will the low light quality of X-T1 be far behind the D750 in real live, or only when pixel peeping? Anything else I should be aware of when choosing?

Thanks for your help - and sorry for my long-windedness