a wedding story (lots of pics)

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited May 24, 2011 in Weddings
I posted some photos before, along with difficulties I had to overcome (flash not firing, corrupt cards, etc), but here are the sets from Vegas from my blog. Four of these are from my fabulous second shooter, who is herself an established wedding photographer here. Namely, the groom shot on 1, right panel; the groom holding the ring on bottom of 1, right panel; b/w of MOG on 3, left panel; and bride's first dance with dad on 3.

Let me know what you think :)

storyboard-comp-1.jpg

storyboard-comp-21.jpg

storyboard-comp-5.jpg

storyboard-comp-6.jpg

storyboard-comp-4.jpg

And I am going to send out their products soon, but here's something I whipped up for a future blog post:

1242205231_8Zdv5-O.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    good stuff in gneral Kris..I am not digging the orange cast in many of the images...I don't mind "warm" but this is a touch beyond "warm"
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Looks like you had fun at this wedding. The 1st and 2nd pages are my favorite.

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Thanks, guys!

Qarik, can you do me a favor please? I use Spyder3pro to calibrate my monitor, but I've noticed on my friend's calibrated monitor that there is a color shift. If you don't mind, can you adjust one of the images to what you think is just enough warmth and pm me so I can compare?
    edited April 6, 2011
    marikris wrote: »
    Thanks, guys!

Qarik, can you do me a favor please? I use Spyder3pro to calibrate my monitor, but I've noticed on my friend's calibrated monitor that there is a color shift. If you don't mind, can you adjust one of the images to what you think is just enough warmth and pm me so I can compare?

sure..will do that when I get home today.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited April 6, 2011
    Thank you, Qarik! Really will appreciate it!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Im on an uncalibrated Dell at work and some of them are REALLY orange...

That is an easy enough fix though.

The images and subject matter are great. You have REALLY come into your own. Makes me wish even more that I had been the one to hire a photog for my son's wedding.

A wonderfully executed journalistic approach.

Very, very well done!!!
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    edited April 6, 2011
    Kris,

I have cooled this one down as well pulled down the sat on yellows and reds a touch (I was basing my edits on the large photo on the bottom). It is slightly on the warm side still on my monitor.
    1242838505_7CaqR-O.jpg

Straight WB off the guys collar and warmed back up just smidgen. Faces are still on the warm side on my monitor.
    1242838514_NGFDg-O.jpg
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited April 7, 2011
    Thanks for that, Qarik! I pulled up the photos on my desktop and my laptop and they look so different side by side. Your edits v. mine on both monitors. I have determined that my laptop has a magenta cast that gives skin tones a very rich color, but when viewed on my desktop it looks on the yellow side, a bit sallow and pale.

Sigh.

I calibrate with a Spyder2Express on the desktop and a Spyder3Pro on the laptop, and one would think the laptop would be closer to the right color. Well, it can also be that my Dell XPS 17 laptop monitor is just not ideal for color correcting - it's so hard to see very well on this! It's fast, but there is something about the monitor quality that makes details hard to see.

I guess I'll try just have to tether to the desktop monitor then :(

But thanks again, so much, because you helped a lot!
    edited April 7, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »

A wonderfully executed journalistic approach.

Very, very well done!!!
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Gosh, thanks, Jeff, that means a lot! I took a huge hit on the ol' self esteem when I had all those problems during and after the wedding (specially when the CF card with all the family formals went corrupt, oy, that was a rough flight back home), but I'm so glad it wasn't as bad as I was stressing over *whew* Got the images back from the card and the sun began to peek out again. But really, though, I really do appreciate the kind words! Did you ever post your son's wedding photos? Although, I have forgotten if it had happened yet or not.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    marikris wrote: »
    Gosh, thanks, Jeff, that means a lot! I took a huge hit on the ol' self esteem when I had all those problems during and after the wedding (specially when the CF card with all the family formals went corrupt, oy, that was a rough flight back home), but I'm so glad it wasn't as bad as I was stressing over *whew* Got the images back from the card and the sun began to peek out again. But really, though, I really do appreciate the kind words! Did you ever post your son's wedding photos? Although, I have forgotten if it had happened yet or not.

Well...we all could use a little validation now and then. It's easy to second guess yourself after a tough day of shooting. No matter how experienced you become there will always be unforseen challenges. In those situations though the experience really pays off. In this case...despite your troubles....you still managed technically sound images. THAT is your job, and you suceeded...despite all the other crap of the day.

...and no...Im not just paying you lip service. Seriously. Every time I check out your work it has taken a quantam leap. Im very impressed.deal.gif
  • kclustkclust Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2011
    Very nice images! I think the ones you cooled look much better, but my first thought upon seeing the first ones was that you intended for them to be that warm. Looked kinda neat. :)
    What lens were you using with the bride entering the garden through the gate? And were you using a macro on the closeup of the rings?
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Very lovely set and I like the more properly white balanced second set you posted, they definitely needed that. I love the first few outdoor shots the best, but then again I'm a sucker for outdoors and with natural lighting :)