Options

Sam at the beach and a question

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited September 22, 2014 in People
Sunset shabbat service at the beach. Quick grab shot of Samantha in the setting sun.

91214-10-XL.jpg

I always loved this lifeguard shack at our beach. It seems like it would be a great photo prop, but I'm constantly thwarted by how to use it for portraits. It is quite elevated, so you wind up shooting up at subjects. It's also pretty big, so if you incorporate the structure, your subject gets lost.

Any thoughts as I head back to the beach for a bunch of senior portraits this fall? Should I just move on??

Here is the entire structure.

91214-11-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2014
    Nice shot. There's nothing wrong with shooting up at a subject. It is a colorful structure so you can use it for background colors on closeups. The steps are a good area. Even shooting under the station could give some different looks.

You can use perspective and have the stand in the background and the subject a few feet away from the stand if you want to incorporate the total structure. This would be good for a wide angle lens. You don't want the subject on the stand but away from it. You use perspective so the subject is a bit larger than the stand. This is when you are closer to the subject, the stand is in the background.

Also, you can use a telephoto lens, move the subject farther from the stand, and you stand a few feet from the subject. This will give the traditional portrait, and the stand will be in the background but blurred.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Have them lean over the edge and you shoot up to use the interesting shapes of the supports? I guess a ladder wouldn't work in the sand (although with an assistant to hold it/spot I would probably be stupid enough to try lol). Is there any way of shooting a long it, maybe with a 50-60mm focal length for a headshot? The light and colour is glorious, so I can see why you want to use it!

Samantha - BIG GIRL!!! I can't believe how grown up she's getting (4th grade now?) iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    1. Subject sitting on steps you up top shooting down.
    2. leaning out on rail looking out you leaning out doing profile.
    3. Her facing shed on far end with arms resting on shed wall glancing toward camera then reverse it with her back against wall looking at camera.
    4. Leg up on cross bar elbow resting on that knee giving you an attitude look with other hand on hip.
    Just some ideas.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2014
    Nice shots and location Mitch.

I think that this location has so many options to shoot, you got it all:

1 stairs
    2 supporting pillars
    3 walls
    4 rails
    5 deckfloor
    6 background

So many elements that you can use to create depth, lean against a wall and take the shot along the wall. let the planks on the deck lead the view to the model. A staircase that allows you to postion the body in all kind of position, and then you have options to shoot low, high....etc....

The wood structure (not the red part) that support the little house. first you have shade , and the color /structure of the eroded wood, in the back the bright light and ocean....would work marvelous for a senior maritime shot.

Good shooting
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    Great advice, everyone. Thank you for your insights.

I'm not sure why I have such a creative mental block with this structure that seems to offer so many possibilities to everyone else!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Have just seen another one - subject on sand leaning back against the corner by the stairs (so you'd be shooting a profile from subject's right side) - longshot with subject in lower right intersection of 3rds (not sure what else is in shot, but would love to see that as landscape orientation - if it's sand/dunes, it will be neutral enough with the structure colour and light to be able to draw the eye right where you want it. )