Options

Fly Fishing

jason442jason442 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited September 15, 2014 in People
It was a rainy and cloudy day and made it a challenge to get more than a few shots when I took my customers fly fishing. I was pretty nervous standing in the middle of a river with my camera gear! Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
1)
p561493896-5.jpg
2)
p601828826-5.jpg
3)
p768661303-5.jpg
4)
p713258093-5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited September 7, 2014
    I think you did a nice job.

My comments would be a little less flash, a bit more ambient, and watch the clouds in the first one (along the rod).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2014
    Thanks! I agree on the flash comment, its a little much.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2014
    I like #3 pretty much the way it is. As for standing in the water...buy insurance :D

I haven't been fishing for God only knows how many years but I still remember how powerful even small streams can be and how slippery the rocks can be.

I aint nearly as quick with my reflexes as I once was, so I would be nervous as well, but all is insured. :D

Sam
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2014
    I've no idea whether you do this sort of shot on a regular basis - or it's just a one-off.

If the former ... and in water of appropriate depth, I'd suggest either sitting or kneeling, with maybe some sort of support for the camera ... all so's you can get it closer to water level, get more dramatic (imo) shots ...and be comfortable using it.

Kneeling is generally my preference, because when combined with an angle finder, you can get lower, more conveniently ... your ... and other's mwv, of course :)

pp
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    Great shooting and for me number 2 as it captures the complete line.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    These are very, very nice. If you wanted to you could make a levels adjustment by selecting the fisherman and drop him down a tad to lessen the flash effect. Well done.

Don't know is you would have caught the line color in #2 without flash.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2014
    Thanks guys!

This was a one off thing. I was shooting as low as I could without losing my balance and falling in.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2014
    jason442 wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

This was a one off thing. I was shooting as low as I could without losing my balance and falling in.

Understood ... have been in similar situations ... albeit with lakes / wildlife, not rivers / fishermen ... that's why I suggested the options I've preferred to use when the environment allows :)

pp
  • Options
    naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2014
    Catching the line is a big win for you. It turns the shots into action shots (as opposed to scenery shots).