Options

Biker Girl

D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
edited September 15, 2014 in People
I had Kimberly on a visit for a shoot with a HD... So we went shooting after sunset in an industrial area. It went all well and then I noticed once back home that my camera was set at 400 ISO. Dammed, it should have been 50, Why didn't I see it !. I could have shot myself. But ok these are two shots from the series...
bike-X2.jpg

CF006609-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg
A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer

Comments

• Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2014
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    Both are very nice. Like the lighting in the second.

How do you overpower the light on the motorcycle in the first shot?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    Both are very nice. Like the lighting in the second.

How do you overpower the light on the motorcycle in the first shot?

Phil

TXS Phil, well I do measure the light with a light meter (not a Flash meter). That way I can judge how strong the headlight of the bike is. All what is needed after that is a flash unit that is adjusted over it, and a high shutter speed (flash sync). Much depends how powerful the flashpack is, in this case I used a 1200 watt second unit, it was high since I wanted to use the 1/125 sec flash sync. Normally I would lower the power of the flash and use a high speed shutter ( 1/800sec) to reduce the effect of the bike headlight. But since I did not had a leafshutter lens I could not.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    TXS Phil, well I do measure the light with a light meter (not a Flash meter). That way I can judge how strong the headlight of the bike is. All what is needed after that is a flash unit that is adjusted over it, and a high shutter speed (flash sync). Much depends how powerful the flashpack is, in this case I used a 1200 watt second unit, it was high since I wanted to use the 1/125 sec flash sync. Normally I would lower the power of the flash and use a high speed shutter ( 1/800sec) to reduce the effect of the bike headlight. But since I did not had a leafshutter lens I could not.

Shame I don't live near you, because I sure could learn a lot.

Thanks for the explanation.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    very cool. nice job with all the technicalities.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2014
    I like the second one better in regards to lighting and the first one for composition and layout. For my tastes anyway the first one needs more shadows, maybe Rembrandt lighting on her face and rim light behind her to separate from the background and give more attitude for the shot. It is well lit but for me just doesn't fit the theme of the shoot.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Nice work. I do agree with John in that a rim light for her and the bike would really set it off.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    Really nice work!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain