Options

WTT Diamond Ring for D700

GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited December 6, 2008 in Nikon Land
OK, I know it's an odd offer, but I have a ladies diamond ring appraised at $6,800 I'd trade for a D700. The ring has a center pear stone with trillions on each side and is set in white gold - its my wife's but she only wears the new one I gave her for her 40th B-Day so we have decided to part with this one.

I am not from Nigeria :rofl and will certainly fax the appraisal which can be easily confirmed with the jeweler. I have a few transactions on this site and 100% feedback on ebay.

Comments

• Options
    NoahDL88NoahDL88 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Shoot, if i had a D700 i'd trade you, sell the ring, and buy a new D700 and pocket the difference.

Too bad i'm currently unemployed :cry
  • Options
    RaphyRaphy Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    I bought from Gventure before...so he's legit in my eyes :)thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2008
    Thanks
    Raphy wrote:
    I bought from Gventure before...so he's legit in my eyes :)thumb.gif

Thanks for the support!
  • Options
    rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    why don't you hock the ring and get yourself a camera?
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2008
    times are slow
    rsparts wrote:
    why don't you hock the ring and get yourself a camera?

with the economy the way it is, sales on luxury items are slow and pawnshops are being careful - I'd rather keep the ring and wait for someone who wants it than hock it for $600 or so. Or, I could sell it to any number of gentlemen that have responded to my Craigslist add- they all really want it badly enough to pay me up to a thousand dollars extra - oddly there are a large number of guys who are looking to buy it for a friend of theirs who is getting married next week. Hmmmm.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Gventure wrote:
    with the economy the way it is, sales on luxury items are slow and pawnshops are being careful - I'd rather keep the ring and wait for someone who wants it than hock it for $600 or so. Or, I could sell it to any number of gentlemen that have responded to my Craigslist add- they all really want it badly enough to pay me up to a thousand dollars extra - oddly there are a large number of guys who are looking to buy it for a friend of theirs who is getting married next week. Hmmmm.

So I take it the Appraiser didn't make an offer? Also is this a simple appraisal or does this one cover the details of the diamond: its grade; The setting; its alloy?

thanks, tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2008
    edited for content
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2008
    Hi Tom
    Hi Tom:

Appraisals are done at most jewlers but they don't want to buy a second hand ring - they want to sell the %115 markup new one - especially now when they aren't selling new ones very fast either. The jeweler that did the appraisal for me just doesn't deal in second-hand jewelry. The appraisal covers each stone's carat weight, dimensions, color and cut plus the setting style.

Thanks, G
    angevin1 wrote:
    So I take it the Appraiser didn't make an offer? Also is this a simple appraisal or does this one cover the details of the diamond: its grade; The setting; its alloy?

thanks, tom
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    Wait, you said the ring was appraised at $6,800 but that you could only get $600 for it? So what you're saying is you're trying to trade a $600 ring for a $3000 camera? Maybe that's why you're having trouble making this deal. Sounds sketch to meheadscratch.gif

No, I said, or meant to say, the Pawn Shop will offer around $600. The ring appraised at $6800. Does that make it a $600 dollar ring? A new D700 at a pawn shop won't bring anywhere near the retail value - does that make it a camera worth less than retail?

Also, saying that I'm having trouble making the deal implies something is wrong with the deal. There isn't. Just that no one here wants a ring - no problem - If you want a nice ring and don't want your D700 - then we'll have deal where we both come out ahead - if you don't then don't play - Please don't say the deal seems sketch when you don't know me - you attack my integrity when you do that.

Thanks, G
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    Wait, you said the ring was appraised at $6,800 but that you could only get $600 for it? So what you're saying is you're trying to trade a $600 ring for a $3000 camera? Maybe that's why you're having trouble making this deal. Sounds sketch to meheadscratch.gif

ever dealt with a Pawn Shop.......this is what I have found.......personal experience here.........Had a men's ring (my fathers)....appraisal was for $7500 approx.....went to pawn shop just out of curiosity....even with appraisal in hand he offered me $50....because I did not have the original sales receipt with me......he said the appraisal to him was no good until he wanted to sell it......with receipt I could get $300........hew would try to sell at appraised value and had tons of room for dickering...............

I do not deal with Pawn Shops as they usually ask full retail value for used junk........................just my experience.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    nightspidynightspidy Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Gventure wrote:
    ...... - Please don't say the deal seems sketch when you don't know me - you attack my integrity when you do that.

Thanks, G

15524779-Ti.gif Not cool.
    Canon 30D & REB XT (thinking of converting to infrared), Sigma 10-20mm, Tammy 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 IS, Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 1.4 ext, and Sigma 4.5 fish eye along with a Bogen by Gitzo Tripod, Manfrotto Ball Head, MacBook PRO, several HOYA filters and a 2GB & 8GB San Disk, 160GB Sanho storage device (really cool btw)......wishing for a Canon 100-400mm. :wink
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2008
    Maybe that was unfair of me. good luck with your search for a D700