Photos from my second wedding... (7 photos)

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited March 8, 2007 in Weddings
Well, I finally uploaded all the photos from my second wedding. This was by far the most difficult shoot I have ever had. The lighting before we lost the sun was awesome, but when the sun set, it was SO dark in there. The location wasn't the most gorgeous.... And the wedding ceremony was quite short. But the people were truly awesome. (The bride and groom purchased our old house from us a year ago and we've been friends since. They are wonderful people!)

Anyway, the first photo shows the location pretty well - you can see the guests on the balconies above - they were on about 4 different levels total! The vows were exchaged in a pit 3 steps below me and everyone else. There was a column in the front of them (as you can see).... So it was really tough. (They chose the location because they wanted to get married on the slopes at Keystone, but the grooms father is in poor healthy and felt that this location was easiest for all to get to.)

And for someone who has only done one other wedding, I was really stressed about the photos. I'll let you decide how I did!

133882410-S.jpg134422886-S.jpg

On to the other photos....

The cake was GORGEOUS! Simply amazing!
134202879-M.jpg

The bride riding up the gondola to the wedding venue. The lighting was very hard - the sun kept shining too brightly on her so I only had a moment to grab this shot. I have another without the gondola support, but I really like the expression in this shot more.
134202864-M.jpg

The bride getting ready (I'll PS out that stuff on the wall if it is purchased - there are a few fun shots from her getting dressed, though.)
134202916-M.jpg

The minister was a hoot, too! Hilarious lady!
134202955-M.jpg

The flower girl dancing.
134202982-M.jpg

There are a bunch more here: http://tippiepics.smugmug.com/gallery/2551436#P-1-15

Thanks for looking! I'd love to hear what you think! (Any and all CC is always welcome!)

Comments

• mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    I _love_ the cake (3rd shot) and the little girl dancing(7th shot)! Very well done.

Man, makes me wish I could be shooting rather than pretending to work...
  • WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    That cake shot ROCKS! Have any other good food shots? iloveyou.gif

happy day,

wren
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    I _love_ the cake (3rd shot) and the little girl dancing(7th shot)! Very well done.

Man, makes me wish I could be shooting rather than pretending to work...

Those were my favorite shots as well. I love the one of the girl dancing. Nice series.
  • DernoDerno Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    love love love the cake shot and the little girl dancing, and the one of her getting dressed
    http://www.derno.net
    Canon Rebel XT
  • slapshotslapshot Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    love the cake
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Hi Andi!

Did I ever tell you I love your stuff? thumb.gif

Your wedding photos are really something, they're somewhat out of the ordinary, like the bride with only the veil but casual outfit (which makes it a great shot, among other things); the bride, groom and the minister taking a good laugh, the little girl dancing...

You managed to capture great moments into really nice photos, and that's something!

Thanks so much for sharing them with us!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Hi Andi-

I looked through the gallery and you have some really nice photos! Both of the cake shots are awesome! The b&w all have an older vibe to them- are shooting the photojournalist style or do you just prefer your b&w like that?

The ones with the Groom and his flower (don't know the term for it) it would have been cool if you did a low f-stop with the flowers in focus and his face slightly OOF.

I like the ring shot and the shots of the bride getting ready too!

Very nice job! clap.gif

I am assisting my third this Saturday- unfortunately probably not going to get to shoot a lot- they only alotted 3 hrs to the photographer including ceremony.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Sooooo..... you like the cake shot? Laughing.gif! Thanks a ton, all! Seriously, the background for the cake was less than perfect so I was quite worried about getting a good shot of it.... Glad to hear it worked! And thanks for all the kind comments on the other shots!

Thiago, thank so much! I've seen your photos so that's quite a nice comment from you! Thanks again!

Anwmn1, thanks so much! As for the style, I tend to do more photojournalist, but I'm trying very hard to improve my traditional (is that what it's called?) style. For this shoot, I ended up with far more B&W than I usually do for several reasons - the lighting, the venue and the feel of the photos. If you were to look at the photos that the wedding party saw, I tried to do mainly half and half color and B&W. But when it came to choosing my favorites, I liked the B&W photos best. (I've always been much better at B&W.)

Towards the end, you'll see much grainer photos. I LOVE using ambient light and there was so little that I had quite a hard time. Many of the photos taken at the end of the evening were taking at 3200 ISO, f/1.8 and 1/100 - and ended up very grainy. (I knew that would happen and planned it.) I felt those were best done in B&W.

Thanks again! And good luck this weekend! Hope you get to shoot more than you think. :D

Thanks all!
  • bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    clap.gif I feel that you did a great job. Getting these HARD weddings out of the way early is a good learning experience. Just think if the bride had been fussy and wanted traditional shots of the ceremony with the given circumstances (that is if you are wanting to make this a profession). You'll find that the posed, family shots are the ones that will re-sell the most. You did a good job with those. I do like the PJ images of the little table settings, flowers, etc. Keep up the good work. Unfortunately in the business we have to consider what the parents of the B&G will want later and we usually can't "shoot to have fun". BSwings.gif
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Another cake-shot lover.thumb.gif The detail and color in this image is wonderful!
    134202879-S.jpg
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    Andi I think you did well under the circumstances. The location of the ceremony looked extremely daunting!!! I always love your style. Like everyone else I do love the cake shot...and what a beautiful cake it was! I also like the grainier shots...they may not be so traditional, but I like the mood they capture. Your family shots were good...the mom and dad seemed to be enjoying themselves. And is that her sister she is arm-wrestling with? They look like they could be family. Very untraditional bride shots! Looks like a fun wedding. Now that you know you can survive a "tough" venue, the next wedding could be a 'piece of cake'. (Hopefully!) :saurora
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    BS, I was extremely lucky to have such a wonderful group to work with. Everyone was truly delightful.... The parents, the family, the friends, the bride and groom. The instructions from the bride and groom were "We're getting married in the middle of a party: we want shots of the wedding, the standard family photos and lots of candids." While I wasn't quite as happy with the family photos as I would have liked, I also have to remember that there weren't any good locations to take them. (If I had owned a backdrop, that might have been different.) This is also the area I need to improve the most. And this was definitely a learning experience- in a great way!

Oh, what do you mean my "PJ images"? I've never heard that term?

Thanks so much for your compliments!

Thanks, dancinkate! I'm so glad everyone loved the cake shot so much! :D

Saurora, you're so kind! Thank you so much.... Yup! That's her sister! They were hilarious together. A lot of fun taking photos of them.

Thanks again!