Options

Cinnamon

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited July 19, 2014 in Wildlife
Captured this image on a recent wondering through Montana. Image was captured in the Mission range near St. Ignatius Montana.

IMG_3720-L.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Phil
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    Cute little rascal :D . I would think you're lucky it's momma wasn't around! This time of year it's difficult to avoid the tall grass messing with your image. But you get what you can ne_nau.gif Thanks for sharing.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2014
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Cute little rascal :D . I would think you're lucky it's momma wasn't around! This time of year it's difficult to avoid the tall grass messing with your image. But you get what you can ne_nau.gif Thanks for sharing.

Jack, thanks for looking. if you look closely you'll see this is a young sow. She may have lost a cub because I watched her for a good hour and she moved a 1/2 mile up over a ridge and I never saw any indication of cubs about.

• Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    Nice! How far was it? It is looking at you and imagining dinner!
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2014
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Jack, thanks for looking. if you look closely you'll see this is a young sow. She may have lost a cub because I watched her for a good hour and she moved a 1/2 mile up over a ridge and I never saw any indication of cubs about.

Not sure what to look for in that regard. Is she losing her winter coat here or is that an indication of her age? Also I assume she's a brown bear...grizzly? Only have black bears here AFAIK.

Jack
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice! How far was it? It is looking at you and imagining dinner!

I was about 40yards up hill standing at the top of a small 8-10ft rock outcropping, about 20ft from my van with an open door.

I watched her for about 20 minutes as she worked her way up hill. I was up wind so she didn't know I was their until she heard the shutter cycling on my camera. she moved off to the left 60-70yds and crossed the road continuing up hill into some heavy timber.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2014
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    Not sure what to look for in that regard. Is she losing her winter coat here or is that an indication of her age? Also I assume she's a brown bear...grizzly? Only have black bears here AFAIK.

I can't say for certain about her coat. She is a cinnamon colored black bear. Grizzlies typically have more of a round face with short round ears and a hump above the shoulders. Grizzlies can also be black. A couple years back there was a large black grizzly hanging out in he Slough Creek area of Yellowstone.

The female indicator is right there under her belly.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2014
    I can't say for certain about her coat. She is a cinnamon colored black bear. Grizzlies typically have more of a round face with short round ears and a hump above the shoulders. Grizzlies can also be black. A couple years back there was a large black grizzly hanging out in he Slough Creek area of Yellowstone.

The female indicator is right there under her belly.

Yep I see it now. And thanks for the info about bears.

Jack