World Tour of Pennsyltuckey

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Journeys
I used to live there so yes I can call it that. We made the annual trip to Beaver County PA for the Dunham family reunion.

But on the way....

90296239-M-1.jpg

We stopped at the Penn State Creamery. Not really on our way but totally worth it. Earlier this year on "National Ice Cream Day" I caught a PBS special on what we all scream for, and they mentioned that Penn State was the first (and possibly only) college in the country with a masters program in Ice Cream science. I was hooked. Always an AG school they are apparently also famous for being the site of the first artificial cow insemenation! YEAH DAIRY SCIENCE! Best Ice Cream EVER, well worth the drive.

From there we traveled 3.5 hours to Darlington PA and caught a Polo match.

88835804-M.jpg

88832631-M.jpg

I loved catching the horses with no feet on the ground, LOOK MA NO FEET!

We all had fun at the reunion, a day of games, an auction, talent shows, and plenty of home cooked food.

89409016-M-1.jpg

The day after we left my kids our Kids with Grandma for the night and my wife and I had an evening alone in Pittsburgh.

The views from the hotel room.

89833398-M.jpg

89835738-M.jpg

Pittsburgh was a depressing as I remember it from my childhood, but we did get to hit the Warhol.

I had read about 'Silver Clouds' when the Warhol opened, and it was more wonderful than I imagined. I wouldn't normally take a camera to an art gallery, but Warhol is different, he was an appropriation artist and documented everything in his world. Photography is allowed (amd I would almost venture to say encouraged) on all the floors displaying his work but not on the floors where special exhibits are displayed.

88631482-M.jpg

88642336-M.jpg

the betrayal

88635953-S.jpg

There was a silkscreen workshop which explained the process of Warhol's most famous works of blown out celebrities, and a gallery of 'portraits' he snapped at parties and on sets. One of the funniest was a snap of the Governator, himself, and Grace Jones circa 1984. It looked like he wanted to snap a shot of Jones and the Governator and the big guy invited him into the photo, with Arnold beaming a pre political grin and his huge arm around him Andy did not look enthused.

Monday morning my mom dropped off the boys and we met a couple of friends at the zoo. I really like the Pittsburgh Zoo, well worth the money,

88528206-L.jpg

not half bad for 1/50th of a sec @ 200mm handheld

88533535-M.jpg

I'd be grumpy about the fountain thing too

88529542-M.jpg

Baboons are just really cool

88570751-M.jpg

I really dug the moon jellies

88629732-M.jpg
and the Lion fish.

Phew...that was quite a trip....

Thanks for looking, and any comments or critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Wow, that shot of the orangutans is phenominal! clap.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    88570751-Ti.jpg

very cool shot! great trip/story, thanks for sharing!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    What??? No shots of the ICE CREAM??? Must have gobbled it down too quickly!! Love the shot of the orangutans...just precious. Nicely done. :D
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Nice zoo pictures.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    That sounds like a fun trip, and esp. the image with the balloon and movement really expresses that fun.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Scrape me off the floor!
    Beaver County??? I didn't think anyone knew where that was. I grew up in Beaver, went to Beaver High School.....small world. Haven't been back that way for about 10 years or so. Nice captures of the area. Sounds like a fun trip thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    moon jellies thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?