Another full 35mm WA thread: Tokina 17mm

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited November 22, 2005 in Cameras
Yes, I said JUST 17mm. That would make it a prime. I messaged Andy about this, but maybe he's gone out of town?

I discovered this lens the other day, the "pro" f/3.5 version. It seems to have eluded me since it's the same focal length as the 17-35mm, and to most pros that (25.5mm) was not wide enough so they went out and got one of those rather expensive 14mm aspherical lenses. Then the DX lenses started showing and "all was well". But, what about myself who really enjoyed the 24-85mm focal length on film? Well there are both the 18-70mmm and the 17-55mm, but let me bring into the equation something else...

Recently I have been obsessing over KEH, specifically their incredible deals on old, old equipment such as the Nikon AI lenses. And, I just picked up an FM2, so that adds to the equation a newfound preference for: 1.) lenses with an apeture ring and 2.) full 35mm lenses, not DX.

Now you see my dilema. Fortunately, since I'm used to shoting 24mm at the widest on 35mm, (and I've rented the 17-35mm for weddings; digital @25.5mm like I said) ...I'm fine with 24-25.5mm being my widest focal length.

Enter the Tokina 17mm f/3.5, a full 35mm lens with an apeture ring confirmed to work on old manual cameras, and allegedly very sharp edge-to-edge. And the price? $300-400, and notably $200-300 for the Nikon mount!

I think I have divulged enough information for now. Suffice it to say, I'm asking you fellow forumers about this lens. I was going to ask Andy about this lens, since he's mr. Zeiss 21mm. Does anyone know about this lens? It seems to be much lesser-known; since like I said most pros opted for wider aspherical primes. But until I can justify the $500 (or $1000) for a 12-24mm digital lens, I'm thinking of getting this Tokina 17mm, if it's sharp. (stopped down, on 1.5x AND full 35mm)

Thanks for your input,
-Matt-
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Hi Matthew,

Yeah -- I was out of town for the past four days - just in on the redeye from California [yawn]..

I'm glad you posted in a thread. I was going to ask you to do it anyhow in response to your PM - it's way better to ask these questions in the open forum, so that many can input to, and benefit from, the topic and responses!

So thanks for posting.

I've not used this lens - I sure would, if it had good sharpness in the corners on FF - and if the CA was controlled - that's typically where these types of lenses fail.

I'll be watching this thread!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Thanks Andy.

Yes, if you look at the lens construction this baby has one heck of a curved rear element which is a bad, bad thing for digital - especially FF. If I look at the Nikon 17-35mm, and the rear element is practically FLAT by comparison.

I'm hoping that Velvia can capture the "REAL" corners of the Tokina a lot beter than a FF sensor can, due to this lens' light angles. (That digital sensors are so picky about...) I'm hoping that by the time I can afford FF, they'll have engineered some fantastic lenses that dont cost thousands.

Concerning CA, I think CA is a lot easier to correct in PS than flare is, and this lens is alleged to be very resistant to flare. So unless the CA is VERY bad, I'm going to consider myself lucky in that aspect.

Take care,
    -Matt-
  • QuinnPorterQuinnPorter Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2005
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    Thanks for the link, Quinn I'm definitely sold on it! I was a bit scared for film use when the corners of the 10D shots were showing CA and softness, but his update with some slide results was a delightful bit of news. I'll let everyone know how I like it, when I get it for my birthday in January... Even if I end up with a 12-24 someday, or a 17-35 for FF, I think this will definitely be a lens that stays in my collection, especially with it's DOF markings, apeture ring, and sturdy construction. Sounds like the kind of lens (especially at the kind of price) that you just don't let go of.

Take care all and many thanks,
    -Matt-