Comments?? Disqus??

JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited February 27, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
I for one am not a fan of Smugmug telling me who can or cant comment on my own site that I pay for. I do not even have FB, (2 years sober) so its leaving me with just my fellow smugmuggers having the ability to comment on my page. Love you guys but I just went a head and removed the comments part since no one ever commented haha. Has anyone figured out how to implement Disqus to their site?? Any word on them unleashing the ability to give US control on who can comment?? Not sure why this isnt available with the option of us approving/declining comments coming through.....Thanks for helping
Jeff K.
Newbie in Action
http://www.photospaced.com

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 15, 2014
    I would guess that it isn't possible right now given that there is a feature request titled Add a Disqus Comment Content Block to 'Services'. The individual who posted the request has implemented it on her WordPress site and is looking for the ability to add it to her smug site - it if was possible I believe she already would have added it to her site.

--- Denise
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    Has this feature been figured out yet????

To make someone have to log in is BS - I want people to be able to leave a comment
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2014
    The worst of all is making folks log in when they have all ready entered a password to
    get into a passworded gallery.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    The worst of all is making folks log in when they have all ready entered a password to
    get into a passworded gallery.

well you know what? I *really* thought that these sites where OURS since WE pay for them.

I cant imagine why they would not give us what WE want. They advertise "Your own customizable website" but they sure the hell dont deliver this 100%.

Ya what you said there doesnt even make sense.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    DJKennedy wrote: »
    well you know what? I *really* thought that these sites where OURS since WE pay for them.

I cant imagine why they would not give us what WE want. They advertise "Your own customizable website" but they sure the hell dont deliver this 100%.

Ya what you said there doesnt even make sense.

This aggravates me so much. On Legacy, any one of my friends or family could go in and comment....now they have to be logged in to smugmug? what a way to limit "customization". Its why I've been looking elsewhere. Plenty of options are out there for the needs I have. I'd rather pay a bit more and get what I want instead of paying for half-*ss stuff with a stupid rule. I really hope they read this too because I see this subject being brought up ALL OF THE TIME.

- I'm tired and have had a bad morning so might regret saying that above haha
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
    http://www.photospaced.com
  • ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2014
    +1 for adding Disqus support to Smugmug.

I can't stand the current 'comments' setup. It looks clunky and has isn't setup in a way to entice people to comment, also the whole login with smugmug option to comment is useless for 99% of people who visit out sites. Add Google, FB, twitter login integration for comments and Disqus and we're all sorted :)
    edited December 10, 2014
    *bump* Do you think we will ever get this feature added? The fact that Squarespace allows this along along with just about every other service on the internet, you would think Smugmug wouldn't want to be left behind.

The Smugmug comments block is AWEFUL!

I have a particular blog post that brings me almost 100 views per day consistently. This post has been up for a year on my site and I have a grand total of one freaking comment on it. One!
    I think people take one look at the comments block and just give up, because the automation just isn't there. Would simply love to have Disqus integration.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 11, 2014
    Shinrya wrote: »
    *bump* Do you think we will ever get this feature added?
    You might want to add your comments to the thread Add a Disqus Comment Content Block to 'Services' in the feature request forum as opposed to this forum - or add your vote on the request at http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1588033-integrate-disqus.

--- Denise
  • pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2014
    I already voted on this Disqus feature, but I'm bumping this thread up because I still cannot believe that this 'log in through Facebook' comments issue has not been re-considered by Smugmug yet.
    How hard is it, to give us BACK the comment feature that we used to have at our former Legacy Smugmug sites? Or, is there some sort of business arrangement with Facebook? I just don't understand this choice they made, AT ALL. ne_nau.gif
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    Hey guys,
    I understand the frustration with comments. I, too, would love to make commenting easier. We're stuck in a rock and a hard place on this.

Let me start off with some background: We've tried pretty much everything and there's no ideal solution that pleases everyone. We tried leaving comments open to anyone and peoples sites filled with SPAM. We added CAPTCHA and it got rid of the SPAM issue but people complained that it was annoying to use. We tried user moderating comments, which fixed the SPAM and was less annoying to visitors but it became confusing when comments weren't posted right away and comments went into a giant unmoderated backlog, and people didn't like that. Right now we're at the point of requiring a login because it's the cleanest and simplest solution.

Now that I've said that, I'd be asking myself "so why can't you give us all of those and let us pick what we want? Let me choose!" There's a few problems and most of it comes down to confusion: With so many settings to make your SmugMug page, the last thing we want to do is add even more settings that will confuse the majority of our users. We want to make it simple for you guys. Other photography sites like Flickr and 500px, and most websites require you to login to leave comments. A bunch of settings to set commenting to open, captcha, moderated, or require login would be confusing.

So where do we go from here, since we don't want to ignore the issue and we want to offer some kind of solution? The first step would be to allow additional login credentials besides just Facebook and G+. Perhaps Amazon, Yahoo, SmugMug.

We'd love to hear if you guys have additional suggestions. For example, I agree with Allen that if a user has already authenticated a password protected gallery, they shouldn't have to re-login to post a comment. Keep suggestions like this coming!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    I think there's a couple suggestions that are simple but smugmug has ignored. One is right in the title... A disqus content block. I know nothing about disqus... So I'd prefer solution 2: open, anonymous, unmoderated comments. Couldn't be simpler. I had it on legacy smug. Not sure if I ever got a spam comment. If I did, I deleted it. No big deal. Smugmug's whole response to this has always been a little odd... Never directly explaining why this feature HAD to change. There were some comments early on about very nasty offensive comments the help desk has to take care of. I'm assuming the change to comments was decided by lawyers, not developers.

I want anonymous comments back.

Dave
  • pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »
    I think there's a couple suggestions that are simple but smugmug has ignored. One is right in the title... A disqus content block. I know nothing about disqus... So I'd prefer solution 2: open, anonymous, unmoderated comments. Couldn't be simpler. I had it on legacy smug. Not sure if I ever got a spam comment. If I did, I deleted it. No big deal. Smugmug's whole response to this has always been a little odd... Never directly explaining why this feature HAD to change. There were some comments early on about very nasty offensive comments the help desk has to take care of. I'm assuming the change to comments was decided by lawyers, not developers.

I want anonymous comments back.

Dave

I agree with all of pilotdave's post.

Of ALL the things to have to sign in with.... FACEBOOK!?

What was wrong with keeping "approval required" as a default in the original feature?? ne_nau.gif At least the spam didn't end up on the pages without one's knowledge. Site owners still had control of allowing comments/spam or not. If they don't want it shown, it can stay hidden or be deleted.

I was so glad that Facebook had NOTHING to do with my site, and my followers were glad too. It was my intention to keep the Facebook brand AWAY from my site, as I cannot stand other sites expecting you to use Facebook to comment (I would use the site's native comments feature instead).

Then, lo and behold, after this was implemented, people thought that *I* chose Facebook to log in with. I had to make it VERY clear to them that it was NOT my decision. Embarrassing. Cannot stand the sight of it on the site I'm paying for.

Please... bring BACK the option of the original comments feature we had before, as an option, for those of us who want it.
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
    edited December 19, 2014
    Thanks for the response. Appreciate that you guys monitor our threads and give a bit of background to the situation. I can understand that it's not easy and no solution is going to please everyone.

For me personally, I don't have a problem with the whole login through FB/G+ in order to leave a comment. But it's obvious that visitors just don't bother with it. I hold my blog content on smugmug where the general norm is to have a Disqus comments section at the bottom. The HTML code for this can be inserted into wordpress, but with Smugmug it's a no go. I don't know much about code so I don't know how difficult it would be to make this happen.
  • SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2014
    I strongly agree with pmbpro.
  • crocknycrockny Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2015
    And still nothing on this? I have had zero comments since going to the new Smugmug ... it sucks. Give me back what I had before please ...
  • PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    A little over a year check-in.

Get out of the "rock and a hard place" spot and give your paying customers what they want. If you can't make a decision, errr on what your customers want. And please don't compare SmugMug to freebie sites. For those of us paying for SmugMug, the visitor has no idea what SmugMug is....and that's why we pay you!