Coldclimb's Long (Long) Road to Moab

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited February 18, 2009 in Journeys
So after a year or so of preparation, the trip has finally begun! Kelsey and I took off from Anchorage Friday afternoon with my wife Tracy, and our friends Richard and Jess, headed south for the Shootout. Without much ado, I intend to keep a nice thread going of our adventures along the way!

Things started out quite predictably. We crammed four people into Richard's little Kia and took off to Anchorage to get Kelsey in Anchorage. Sure enough, five people don't fit into a Kia very well with ALL of their gear, so we had to make a few changes.

We also had a bit of trouble with a hole in our engine coolant overflow container, but that was no biggie. We fixed it with epoxy and a bike tire patch kit, and kept rolling. :rofl

Kelsey's dad got out of bed to help us with our project.
edit-001-L.jpg

Shasta has been along for many of our adventures, but today she's only here to say goodbye. Evidently some people go to school and stuff.
edit-002-L.jpg

Kelsey applies the finishing touches.
edit-004-L.jpg

And now we're ready to go!
edit-005-L.jpg

With five drivers, we were able to drive through Canada without stopping overnight, but it was a bit tiring. Here's dinner our first night in Glennallen, still well inside Alaska.
edit-006-L.jpg

Some buffalo lounging in the shade alongside the highway.
edit-009-L.jpg

So we drove some uncountable miles to Liard River Hot Springs for our only big stop in Canada. Arriving there, we had some food, and I must confess we shared some with the squirrels.
edit-011-L.jpg

edit-010-L.jpg

And lastly for today, the only excitement in Canada: The hot springs.
edit-012-L.jpg

Now we're in Montana, heading further south in the morning, at a much more leisurely pace. Enjoy the pics, there should be more soon!
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    :w0000p! :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Very cool! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    :lurk

This is going to be good.

Coming through California at all?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Awesome! What a great idea for a journeys thread and I'm looking forward to seeing more. thumb.gif

I think the photo of Kelsey looking just like his dad is pretty darned hilarious. :D
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    ian408 wrote:
    :lurk

This is going to be good.

Coming through California at all?

Probably on the way back. JTree should still be plenty warm! :D

Schmoo: I didn't even notice the resemblance until just now. They DO look alike at that angle.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited September 23, 2008
    coldclimb wrote:
    Probably on the way back. JTree should still be plenty warm! :D
    Buttermilks should be OK during the day too. But if you end up in the Bay Area, give a call. You can camp in my yard :D:D:D

Remind me in Moab.
    edited September 29, 2008
    Thanks for the comments all! Now we're resting in a mansion in Las Vegas (All to ourselves! eek7.gif ) and we've got a lot more shots for you!

After leaving Montana we headed down to Idaho and visited Craters of the Moon National Monument. It doesn't look like too much driving by, but when you stop and check it out there's some awesome stuff!

Here's a couple people journeying up a volcanic hill to get a view of the lava fields.
    edit-014-L.jpg

After checking out some of the sights, we made our way underground into the lava tubes. There's some pretty cool stuff to be found down there!
    edit-016-L.jpg

Things get a little tight, squeezing through one tube to get to another exit.
    edit-018-L.jpg

Richard, Tracy, Kelsey, and Jess, all following me through the squeeze.
    edit-020-L.jpg

Jess climbs out the exit hole.
    edit-022-L.jpg

We stayed in one tube for a while playing with some long exposures (Check Kelsey's thread for those) and had a good time painting pictures with headlamps! Kelsey shows Tracy one of our genius creations:
    edit-024-L.jpg

We camped overnight, and moved on in the morning to City of Rocks, near Almo, Idaho. Jess had a nice introduction to climbing, having never tied into a harness before.
    edit-026-L.jpg

Under the watchful eyes of Master Kelsey.
    edit-027-L.jpg

Kelsey scopes out his route.
    edit-030-L.jpg

Does this look like fun?
    edit-031-L.jpg

Jess took a few minutes to teach herself liebacking.
    edit-032-L.jpg

To be followed up the same route by Richard.
    edit-035-L.jpg

edit-036-L.jpg

Kelsey, Smuggy, and City of Rocks.
    edit-038-L.jpg

That wraps up another day. We camped out, and woke to yet another gorgeous day's climbing, starting with a visit by a snake.
    edit-039-L.jpg

We hit up two climbs side-by-side, with myself and Tracy on one, and Jess, Richard, and Kelsey on the other.
    edit-040-L.jpg

Jess works through some beautiful moves on her route.
    edit-041-L.jpg

Tracy and I made it down first, here's the others working their way back to the ground.
    edit-043-L.jpg

Jess and Kelsey eye the world from above while waiting for Richard.
    i-zkXSnV2

Later on, Kelsey and I worked some quite difficult climbs. Here's Kelsey working into the crux on a 5.12c/d called "Liberator of Baghdad."
    edit-047-L.jpg

The next morning Kelsey kept up the hard climbs, working his way through "Electric Avenue" 5.12a.
    edit-051-L.jpg

Richard belays dutifully, despite morning grogginess.
    edit-052-L.jpg

After leaving Idaho we headed to Richard's grandparents' place in Utah and spent some time fixing our car there. Then we headed out the next day for Maple Canyon and the unique rock available there. Here's Richard climbing a 5.10b/c with his twin sister Kristina at the belay. He thought he was on an easier climb nearby, and we didn't tell him different until he gave up. :D
    edit-054-L.jpg

edit-056-L.jpg

Kristina jumped on a climb nearby, and about that time Kelsey tipped me off that his white balance wasn't set right. Good thing... neither was mine. I fixed it, and shot Kristina a few times.
    edit-057-L.jpg

edit-058-L.jpg

That's all I've got up to this point! We left Utah this morning, and as I said above, we're currently the sole occupants of a mansion in Las Vegas, and we're still going on and on and on! :Dclap.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited September 30, 2008
    We stopped off in Vegas to pay some visits to relatives and do a bit of climbing in Red Rock here. It's REALLY hot, but I got a couple shots of course. :D

Richard cleans our gear off an anchor and rappels to the ground.
    edit-060-L.jpg

Here's a silhouette of Kelsey working through a climb in the Black Corridor, a narrow slot with good climbing and great shade all day long.
    edit-061-L.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    The silhouette shot is reminiscent of one of Galen Rowell's--I want to say it was in Yosemite. Cool shot.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    ian408 wrote:
    The silhouette shot is reminiscent of one of Galen Rowell's--I want to say it was in Yosemite. Cool shot.
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 4, 2008
    Alright, so I got something close to sixty pictures since the last time online, so I'll try not to post them all and swamp the forums. Here goes!

We hit Zion late at night and found our campsite with some help from a couple who got their car stuck, and were flagging down help. The campground doesn't have a sign, and the only time we've visited was two years ago, so the flashing headlamps and waving arms helped guide us down the little dirt path into the woods. In the morning, we woke slowly.
    edit-062-L.jpg

We chose to take it easy on the climbing for a day, and hike the narrows, one of the famous features of Zion National Park.
    edit-063-L.jpg

Cascading water reflects the red from the cliffs above and turns into gold as Kelsey walks by.
    edit-064-L.jpg

The immense walls of the canyon are incredible, towering hundreds of feet overhead in all directions.
    edit-066-L.jpg

Kelsey finds a bit of climbing on the walls of the canyon.
    edit-068-L.jpg

Creatures in the desert often adapt to their surroundings by changing their colors to match the environment.
    edit-072-L.jpg

Kelsey peers down for some holds on a bit of bouldering.
    edit-073-L.jpg

Water makes incredible rock art on the walls.
    edit-075-L.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited October 4, 2008
    Richard pulls through some moves well off the deck to get to a higher ledge.
    edit-077-L.jpg

The mid-afternoon shadows chase Jess from her warm hole in the wall.
    edit-078-L.jpg

Richard poses on the sandstone walls.
    edit-079-L.jpg

Kelsey took a couple of leaps from this ledge. Here's one.
    edit-082-L.jpg

We paused for a bit to shoot some lizards who were friendly enough to pose. They tired of it eventually.
    edit-083-L.jpg

edit-087-L.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited October 4, 2008
    Kelsey takes one of his shots.
    edit-089-L.jpg

Sunlight filters down through the sandstone walls of the canyon.
    edit-090-L.jpg

Handprints from many travelers hiking the narrows.
    edit-092-L.jpg

We reached our turnaround point and headed back, trying to get out of the narrows before the sun set completely.
    edit-096-L.jpg

The next morning we headed to the Organ near Angel's Landing for a bit of waiting for another party to finish the climb we wanted to do. Here's some sandstone.
    edit-097-L.jpg

We played with lizards. I shot this one-handed. :D
    edit-099-L.jpg

You and what army?
    edit-100-L.jpg

Scaly portrait.
    edit-104-L.jpg

I've found that I'm not as good as I want to be at shooting things like old gnarly wood, so I'm practicing.
    edit-105-L.jpg

We finally got onto the rocks, and talked ourselves into going all the way despite the mental difficulties we experienced.
    edit-106-L.jpg

The sun went down while we climbed. Here's Kelsey following me up the last of the aid climbing.
    edit-107-L.jpg

And to wrap up this post, we stopped off at bryce, where I found my 40D does a MUCH better scenic shot than my old Fuji F700. :D
    edit-109-L.jpg

Stay tuned, we'll have more coming for sure! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Lots of great stuff.

How the heck to catch those lizards?
    Oh, that's right, you guys are still young.:D
    It looks like you guys will have a trip to talk about for years to come.

See ya in Moab.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited October 5, 2008
    The Narrows is one of my favorites in Zion. Great hike on a summer's day.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Looks like so much fun! We saw some guys walking in to do some bouldering on a trail in Rocky Mountain National Park but didn't actually see any climbing until we were driving through Independence Pass near Aspen. Keep up posting and we'll see you soon in Moab.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    clap.gifPhenominal! You have some amazing portraits of your friends in there.
  • chickenLegschickenLegs Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2008
    inspiring
    they welded their own luggage rack on their crappy ol kia, fixed a coolant leak with a bike tire patch, drove for 24hrs straight outta alaska, and then pulled over to eat bisquick.

then they found buffalo, went caving, and climbed impossible mountain faces.
    and this dude Kelsey can apparently talk to animals.

that is amazing. I wish I could be like you.
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2008
    What a awesome share. Thanks for taking us on your trip, what an adventure.bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
    edited October 9, 2008
    Thanks again for the comments everyone, I love to hear from people about my pictures! Hope you're still enjoying them. :D

We're in Moab now, and met a bunch of smuggers today. A bunch are out at the moment working on blowing away my star shots of delicate arch, I'm sure, but here's what I've got from the last few days of adventuring!

We rolled into Moab on a rainy weekend, and every single campsite was full. At length, we found a climber's campground with room, and threw our tents together in the dark. The next few days were spent checking out some local climbing areas and eating some good food.

Here's some Moab sandstone:
    edit-117-L.jpg

The day before yesterday we went into Arches and did some climbing and touristing for the whole day. Kelsey is in this photo, climbing Owl Rock, but it's tough to make him out. He's just inside the right edge of the tower.
    edit-119-L.jpg

Kelsey tops out. Turns out I picked the wrong angle for decent lighting, but the right angle for this shot!
    edit-121-L.jpg

Kelsey maneuvers into position for some shots of Jess climbing.
    edit-122-L.jpg

Our summit shot on top of Owl Rock. What a bunch of weirdos.
    edit-123-L.jpg

Another tough angle at Turret Arch.
    edit-125-L.jpg

Kelsey inside Double Arch. We'll probably see plenty of shots of all these arches from everyone soon!
    edit-127-L.jpg

Nature makes some of the coolest art.
    edit-128-L.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited October 9, 2008
    Delicate Arch frames some snowy peaks quite nicely. Everyone has seen Delicate, so I'll just post my favorites. :D
    edit-129-L.jpg

Evening light, red stone, and Kelsey make for some heavy saturation!
    edit-130-L.jpg

We stayed late and tried to improve our star trail technique. It's not quite there yet, but I'm still happy! :D
    edit-134-L.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited October 9, 2008
    There is an unwritten rule in climbing that whoever throws the rope down at the base of the climb first gets to climb it first. I woke the next morning to the sound of voices, and since our camp was right below Castleton Tower, I knew that probably meant climbers getting an early start on climbing the most famous route on the tower. Unfortunately that was the route WE wanted to climb this morning, and they already had a head start, so we jumped up, grabbed our gear, bagels, and water, and took off for the base of the climb. After an hour or so of hiking, I reached the base, chagrined to be behind the other party. After introductions, however, they displayed an unnusual generosity, and we all decided to turn our two parties into one massive eight-person party, and take the tower by seige. :D
    edit-136-L.jpg

Our new friends' names are Jeff, Jess, and Dennis, and they take off, firing up the route in excellent style and fixing ropes behind for the rest of us to self belay or toprope as we wished. Here's Kelsey following me through a tight spot.
    edit-137-L.jpg

Kelsey again, pulling through some slack on his self belay on pitch 2.
    edit-140-L.jpg

Jess started enjoying herself about halfway up. rolleyes1.gif
    edit-143-L.jpg

Kelsey followed me, so most of my shots are of him. Here he is again on the third pitch, with the exposure beginning to show below.
    edit-146-L.jpg

Jess fired through the crux of the whole route with great style, belying the fact that this is only her sixth day climbing.
    edit-148-L.jpg

The summit is an awesome place, with open air and huge exposure all around. Views like this knock you reeling on every side.
    edit-151-L.jpg
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited October 9, 2008
    I threw together a quick stitched panorama from the top.
    edit-152-XL.jpg

Kelsey peers over the edge to shoot Jess as she reaches the summit.
    edit-156-L.jpg

The rappel is a breathtaking one. Exposure locks your mind up and makes you tell yourself you'd rather stay safely on top forever.
    edit-158-L.jpg

More to come soon, of course! Thanks for checking these out, and keep the comments coming! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    Ok coldclimb, this has been by far my all time fav journey post. I just freaking love it. Keep it coming cause I can't get enough of these awesome shots.bowdown.gifclapbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
    edited October 9, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    Ok coldclimb, this has been by far my all time fav journey post. I just freaking love it. Keep it coming cause I can't get enough of these awesome shots.bowdown.gifclapbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gif

I'm certain that he will have more stuff...some pretty funny...soon lol3.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 9, 2008
    Out.Standing!

Too many favorites to list, but the shots from your hike in the canyon are really, really good - including the stitched jump shots! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited October 11, 2008
    Alright, so the Smugmug Shootout has been amazing! So many awesome people and great times. Here's a sample of my results.

I took a moment from teaching our climbers to shoot this one of Schmoo on one of the desert sandstone cracks we climbed.
    edit-167-L.jpg

Fellow DGrinners in the pre-dawn light. We got up at way-too-early and went out to Deadhorse Point. I'm certain you'll all see much better landscapes from everyone else, but I got one or two I like. :D And I learned that I'd rather sleep in. rolleyes1.gif
    edit-169-L.jpg

Kelsey watches the light grow across the landscape.
    edit-168-L.jpg

Ivar gets his shots.
    edit-174-L.jpg

Kelsey needs new shoes. rolleyes1.gif
    edit-176-L.jpg

We made a bit of a friend.
    edit-177-L.jpg

Bribery makes a quick friendship, but loyalty is lacking. He didn't stick around long.
    edit-178-L.jpg

Probably my best landscape from the morning.
    edit-179-L.jpg

Kelsey had borrowed Ivar's fisheye lens and was having a blast with it. Then we started shooting our little friends, and I challenged him with getting a good shot of a 3-inch long chipmunk with the fisheye, with the reward of a milkshake if he managed. He borrowed my trigger to do it, but he got his milkshake. :D
    edit-181-L.jpg

Later that day we rigged a rope jump at Gemini Bridges. We had a bunch of DGrinners out, but they decided not to take the leap. Instead, here's Jess roped up for the second jump on our rig.
    edit-183-L.jpg

It took her a while to push through and actually do it, but she did! Twice! This is her on her second jump.
    edit-187-L.jpg

Kelsey followed up with a backflip off the cliff.
    edit-185-L.jpg

I don't have today's shots edited yet, but they'll be coming along soon. Hope you all thoroughly enjoyed this installment. :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2008
    IA IA S--- rRRUU NUTS
    mAN eek7.gif

This is one great post on your trip.
    Thanks
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
    edited October 12, 2008
    Hey John wave.gif

Great meeting you guys--I split this morning and just got home...apologies for not saying good-bye.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    It was great fun meeting you John and your shots are awesome. I've got tons to learn from you and the others about climbing photography. It's totally different than anything else I've tried. But with you two masters teaching I think I got a couple I liked. Even if I didn't get one photo I liked it would have still been an excellent trip. Thanks so much for taking the time to teach us how to climb, jump and walk over a cliff. But I still think you are all a little nuts for the jumping (maybe I'll try that one next time :nah). Have a blast on the rest of your trip and I hope to meet you and the others again in the future.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto