A Taste of Sedona.

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited March 21, 2009 in Journeys
Okay, okay. California sucks. It's official! So, what am I doing about it?

I'm moving.

I spent this past weekend moving my sister to Sedona (now I have two sisters there) and got to spend two days hiking and photographing the red rocks.
This was my third visit there, and my first with a digital SLR. Here's just a taste of what I saw. I'm in love with the place!

1. My first night there. Taken from Airport Rock. Yes, it's underexposed. I don't care.
CoffeePotDSC_3290.jpg

2. The next day, taken from Submarine Rock.
FromSubmarineRockDSC_3322.jpg

3. And on the other side of Submarine Rock, I discovered the job I want when I move there. That's a Pink Jeep Tour on The Stairs. Imagine going off-
roading all day long and getting paid for it! My sister says they're always hiring and the tips are very good!
PinkJeepTouronStairsDSC_3334.jpg

4. On the way back to the car, instead of the trail, we walked along a stream bed. This is the first of several texture shots I did. I shot it with many
contrasts in mind: Wet and Dry, Hard and Soft, Submerged and Exposed, Light and Dark. . . .
WetandDryDSC_3377.jpg

On day two, we went to Slide Rock and The Devil's Kitchen. It was an overcast day. The water at Slide rock was very high because of the snow
melting in Flagstaff.

5. I liked the colors; green in the water and the red rocks. I sharpened the image and desaturated the colors by ten percent. Otherwise, no post-processing.
WaterFlowredrockDSC_3484.jpg

6. I saw the yellow rock leaning against the gray one and couldn't resist taking this shot.
WaterFlowtiltrockDSC_3406.jpg

7. You're looking at the east edge of Devil's Sink hole, in what is known as The Devil's Kitchen. The rock you're looking at dropped from the cavern
above it about ten years ago. This hole is deeeeep!! At least three stories! You wouldn't want to fall into it, that's for sure!
DevilsKitchenSinkHoleDSC_3567.jpg

Comments of all kinds happily accepted (and in a couple of years, when I move there, I just won't care what anybody says. :D)
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Hi!

i like the first image most of all (even so it is underexposed) but it looks quite extraterrestrial to me!

Regards,

Sven
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 5, 2009
    I need to start spending time in Sedona. It's only 2 1/2 hours away from me, and I always see great shots from there. You've provided a nice sampler here. I appreciate the commentary and locations along with the shots too. Well done. thumb.gif

Post some more if you got 'em. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I need to start spending time in Sedona. It's only 2 1/2 hours away from me, and I always see great shots from there. You've provided a nice sampler here. I appreciate the commentary and locations along with the shots too. Well done. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

And the fact you have a Jeep that would be just right for getting into the back country of Sedona. deal.gif

This is about equal distance for us to meet up too. Instead of me always driving 4 hours. rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    Some great stuff here. I have been there several times and have shot it several times. Thanks for showing a different perspective. thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2009
    kdog wrote:

Cheers,
    -joel

How many you want? I got 209 more. :D

Actually, this is just the start. I plan to process many more.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I had a lot of fun there, once the moving was done. :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited March 5, 2009
    I processed a few more. Here they are. :D

1. Rock-solid Support.
    SlickRockSupportDSC_3543.jpg

2. Stepping Up.
    SlideRockTextureDSC_3436.jpg

3. Deeply Rooted.
    SlideCreekRootDSC_3546.jpg

4. Pumphouse.
    SlideRockPumpHouseDSC_3531.jpg

5. North from Submarine Rock
    NorthfromSubmarineRockDSC_3314.jpg

6. Also North from Submarine Rock. (Same rock as above, different angle.)
    FromSubmarineRock2DSC_3347.jpg

Thank you very much for viewing. Any and all comments welcome.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• dsm02cdsm02c Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2009
    I really liked #6 from the first post... great work.
    edited March 6, 2009
    Thank you, dsm. It's one of my favorites, too.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2009
    Great shots!iloveyou.gif
  • MilanMilan Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2009
    Very nice shots and wonderful place. mwink.gif

From the first set my favorites are #1 (and I don't care if it's uderexposed either) and #6.
    I like the "pattern shots" from the second set as well.

Why I never visited that place, I just don't know ...
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    #1 is fabulous! thumb.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2009
    Great looking series. One of my favorite locations in all of the west.