Senior on a boat

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited October 12, 2016 in People
My first senior session on a boat. It was a small racing sailboat (J/80) so it was bobbing around a lot. Nearly a very expensive session for me! He is on the school sailing team so I was glad he wanted to incorporate that into his senior portrait. So much more meaningful if you ask me. Anyway here are his 5 favorites...

5D3_0221-X3.jpg

5D3_0223-X3.jpg

5D3_0205-X3.jpg

5D3_0197-X3.jpg

5D3_0234-X3.jpg

I like 1 best.

T-Pain was not there.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2016
    The smile looks a bit forced, but overall these are pretty good. The pose and cropping don't work for me on the last shot, but it certainly isn't the worst thing in the world.
    Steve

Website
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2016
    Well, I know the kid, and I can tell you this is his smile. I think 1 looks completely natural and relaxed. I don't like the pose in 5, but perhaps a tighter crop would help.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2016
    1 is my favorite here. He looks the most relaxed. To the outside observer who doesn't know this kid, I agree that the smiles on 2-4 look very tense and forced.

5 could be good, but the crop and the pose are not the greatest.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2016
    These are quite nice...the straight-on pose in #1 is not my favorite, and the lighting in #3 looks a bit uneven. I like #4 and #5 the best.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • The LeaderThe Leader Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2016
    Lovely pics but I would have included more of the background in a couple.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback folks. I will offer him a different crop of 5 (I was surprised he selected it as a finalist anyway). As for more background, the yearbook requires a 5:7 vertical. I feel that makes it tough to get a shot that includes a lot of background but that also shows enough of the kid's face. I think a good test is if the face looks good and you can see the whites of their eyes when viewing on your phone.
    -Jack

• Martyj87Martyj87 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Nice these are really good. What camera/lens did you use here?