Turning the eggs

IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
edited April 10, 2010 in Wildlife
I went by one of the Viera Wetlands Limpkin nests this morning to check things out. As I arrived a Limpkin was standing in the nest busy turning 4 eggs.

Limpkinnest_2077.jpg

The bird made sure that all the eggs were turned and positioned just right.

Limpkinnest_2079.jpg

After all the eggs were where it wanted them, it sat on the nest to keep them warm.

Limpkinnest_2084.jpg

Soon the Limpkin began calling to it's mate while sitting on the eggs. After calling for about 30 minutes, it's mate showed up and there was a changing of the guard.

Limpkinnest_2105.jpg

Comments

• LakeLadyLakeLady Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Wow. I feel blessed when I even hear a Limpkin. You were definitely blessed!
  • IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Sad news..... The Limpkin nest has been destroyed according to this report sent to me.. "This afternoon around 6:30pm a friend reported that she watched the heartbreaking event of a large gator destroying the nest and eating the eggs while both parents tried to lure it away from the nest."
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I was getting captures of the parent and the nest this evening at 5 PM. I saw a large gator (around 7 feet) entering the water a few yards from the nest.

I was relieved when it appeared that the gator was not paying attention to the nest. Looks like my relief was premature.

This is a real bummer. I have been going to the wetlands daily hoping to get captures of the new born chicks.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Harryb wrote:

This is a real bummer. I have been going to the wetlands daily hoping to get captures of the new born chicks.

As was I......... What's the chance of finding another Limpkin nest in the open. Some things are just not meant to be.
  • troylimtroylim Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Very nice, I got some pics of this bird when i shoot with 70-200.
    Now I am hoping to see them again.
  • GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!
    What a shame
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • troylimtroylim Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Damn gators. Sad story.