Lens Suggestions

MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited July 25, 2006 in Cameras
Ok, I know many people ask this, so I hate to repeat something that has already been asked. But to make it more specific to me, I'm looking for your suggestions or advice. Thanks so much!

I shoot a D70. Currently have the Nikkor 18-70 that came with my camera and a Tamron 70-300 LD (currently is out of commission).

Q1. So, I am looking to replace my 70-300 lens because the shutter is sticking and I figure it's easier to replace than to have fixed. I've had the lens for about 10 years now (I use to use it with my N70).

Any suggestions on what I should get to replace this lens? I really miss not having it already and it's only been a couple days.

Q2. I often shoot in lowlight situations. Lowlight being inside the house, using natural light coming in thru windows. I have been using my Nikkor 18-70 for this, but was thinking I needed to get something with a lower f-stop. So I was thinking something with a fixed 2.8. A friend mentioned the Tamron f2.8 28-70, was wondering what others thought?

Ok, I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I would like good glass too. I know, I'm asking a lot. lol

Any suggestions or advice you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
Lissa
www.photosbylissa.com
www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
Nikon D200
Nikon D70
Nikon N70
Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Nikkor 18-70
Tamron 75-300
SB-600

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    MyView wrote:
    I shoot a D70. Currently have the Nikkor 18-70 that came with my camera and a Tamron 70-300 LD (currently is out of commission).

Q1. So, I am looking to replace my 70-300 lens because the shutter is sticking and I figure it's easier to replace than to have fixed. I've had the lens for about 10 years now (I use to use it with my N70).

Q2. I often shoot in lowlight situations. Lowlight being inside the house, using natural light coming in thru windows. I have been using my Nikkor 18-70 for this, but was thinking I needed to get something with a lower f-stop. So I was thinking something with a fixed 2.8. A friend mentioned the Tamron f2.8 28-70, was wondering what others thought?

A1. If you like it so much, you could buy the current model. Sigma also makes a 70-300 model. Stepping up to a 70-200/2.8 from Nikon or Sigma will cost you quite a bit more.

A2. Depends on what range you currently use the 18-70 for. If you shoot more at the wide end, obviously the 28-75 won't cut it. It is by all reports, a very nice wide-normal lens, though. Tamron also makes a 17-50/2.8, more suited for cropped sensors, and Sigma makes a 18-50/2.8 for the same purpose. Nikon's 17-55/2.8 is mucho $, so that's probably way off of your radar.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    MyView wrote:
    Ok, I know many people ask this, so I hate to repeat something that has already been asked. But to make it more specific to me, I'm looking for your suggestions or advice. Thanks so much!

Any suggestions on what I should get to replace this lens? I really miss not having it already and it's only been a couple days.

Ok, I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I would like good glass too. I know, I'm asking a lot. lol

Any suggestions or advice you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

I think you mean the Tamton 28-75 2.8 lhttp://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=187&sort=7&cat=43&page=1ens and it has received very good feedback on Fred Miranda's site.

A very good low light lens that won't break the bank would be the Nikon 85mm 1.8 lens ($359 after the $40 rebate).
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    My $.02 worth...
    MyView wrote:

If you're ready for some good high quality glass. I highly recommend the Nikon 80-200 f2.8. There are 3 models. A push pull, with no tripod mount that you can get for $400-550. A "D" lens that is ED-IF and usually around $600-900. And an AFS version that is $850 and up. Granted, you loose 100mm with this lens. But, the quality makes up for foir the loss. These are really impressive lenses.

MyView wrote:
    I have a 2nd generation copy of the Tolkina 28-70/2.8 that does quite well. I got it for less than $150, and think you'd be happy with something like this as a walk around lens.
  • MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Thanks so much for everyone's replies. It is greatly appreciated.

I of course, still haven't decided. lol

I am leaning toward the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 only because I rarely shoot not cropped in with my Nikon 18-70. I really like to zoom in. lol I can get it thru Abe's of Maine for $309.99 after the $30 rebate, plus shipping of course.

I was considering the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, which would only be $40 more. Would that be a better buy?

My one major concern, because I crop in so tight I often struggle with DOF. Does this help with suggestions? lol

I totally would love to step up to better glass, but right now isn't the time since there is too many other toys I would like to get too. Like a new motor for our fishing boat (would love to upgrade to a 4-stroke there). lol And I totally think the hubby would be more happy putting money there. hahahaha

I'm still unsure. Any suggestions to completely sell me on this. lol

Thank-you all so much for taking the time to offer advice to me, it is truly greatly appreciated!
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com
    www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300