Options

Bees in the woods

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited June 26, 2015 in People
Decided to take one of my Alien Bees with me on our yearly summer trip with two other families. I was pleased with the light and ease of use with a shoot through umbrella.

All the kids

6715-40-L.jpg

My clan

6715-39-L.jpg

The ladies

6715-38-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2015
    I'd call that "perfect lighting". You'd NEVER know it was added flash it looks so natural. Fabu!

And holy cannoli but Sam has long legs!!! iloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    I'd call that "perfect lighting". You'd NEVER know it was added flash it looks so natural. Fabu!

And holy cannoli but Sam has long legs!!! iloveyou.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks, DM. I was quite pleased with the lighting here. I just exposed for the ambient and added a touch of flash with a large shoot through umbrella. Worked like a charm. The strobe is much easier for me to control than an off camera speedlight.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2015
    Mitchell, I can't find any distracting shadows anywhere. This is a great job with outdoor lighting! clap.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2015
    Very Nice job.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Thanks, DM. I was quite pleased with the lighting here. I just exposed for the ambient and added a touch of flash with a large shoot through umbrella. Worked like a charm. The strobe is much easier for me to control than an off camera speedlight.

The lighting is truly perfect here.

Question about the Allen Bee's. Do they have the ability to do high speed sync with Nikon bodies?
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2015

Question about the Allen Bee's. Do they have the ability to do high speed sync with Nikon bodies?

No.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2015

Yes with 3rd party triggers like Radio Poppers,Yongnuo or Phottix.

http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-odin-ods-over-drive-sync/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2015
    Mitchell, two questions:

1. What size umbrella, and where was it (the light is so good I cant' actually tell since I can't see the catchlights!)
    2. Why do you prefer the bees to the speedlights?

Just curious :)
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2015
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Yes with 3rd party triggers like Radio Poppers,Yongnuo or Phottix.

http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-odin-ods-over-drive-sync/

Good to know. My sync cord and current wireless triggers do not allow it.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    Mitchell, two questions:

1. What size umbrella, and where was it (the light is so good I cant' actually tell since I can't see the catchlights!)
    2. Why do you prefer the bees to the speedlights?

Just curious :)

1. This is a single 48 inch shoot through umbrella. To my left and just above. Not really much power so there is not much shadow. I also tried to place the subjects to minimize shadow.

2. I've done this for years with my speedlights. The recycle time is longer (even with fresh batteries). My speedlights also tend to fire even if not fully charged which tends to give inconsistent power output. The strobes give me full power flash every 3 seconds if needed.

I do like using iTTL with off camera flash, but this single light setup is so easy to meter and manually adjust the strobe that I just shoot in manual mode.

HTH.
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2015
    Agree with all the praise... I'm noticing there is mottled sunlight all around, but not on your subjects. You chose a perfect spot to take a portrait! --CCoop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    Reflections By BrianReflections By Brian Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2015
    These are spot on. You nailed the lighting.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    VERY nice as others have noted...

Did you use a lightmeter for the ambient, and then on your subjects? Reason I ask is, this is one of the many areas I struggle when trying to see what it 'really' looks like on the back of the camera and that little image...
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2015
    M38A1 wrote: »
    VERY nice as others have noted...

Did you use a lightmeter for the ambient, and then on your subjects? Reason I ask is, this is one of the many areas I struggle when trying to see what it 'really' looks like on the back of the camera and that little image...

I'm terrible. I take my light meter with me but I never use it.

For these, I just used the camera meter and took a shot without any subjects in the frame to set my ambient. I then made the adjustments on the strobe to my liking.