Couple of headshot sessions

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 15, 2015 in People
Comments always welcome!

Singers, so crossing over into glam. Had a ton of fun with both of them!

THe props were her idea! She's a wonderful and whacky human being, and these are very "her". Background is my awesome, love-it-so-much Fotodiox high key background (similar to the Lastolite Hilite), with my 2x3' softbox(es) for main lighting.

i-pSf3JFC-XL.jpg

Top one was outside, and the others were using the Fotodiox background as a giant softbox - in the bottom left it was the main, in the bottom right it was acting as fill (speedlight in a rapidbox octa was the main). I have some smilier ones of her in the red, but that fierce expression bottom right is TOTALLY her - she's known for her enigmatic expressions, so I'm glad we got one of them!!

i-ZHh8WgC-XL.jpg

Comments

• michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2015
    Great shots as always Diva! My only nit is the second top image. The highlights in her face are lost with the white background. If you tone it down a bit it will look lovely :)

Very intriguing headshots. Thanks for sharing.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2015
    Do you mean the one with the props? Yeah, I processed it a little hot, I think. She still hasn't picked the ones she wants, so these edits were mostly for fun, for myself :)

Thanks, dude! Hope you're well. SO glad to see you shooting again and WOWZERS what a way to return!!! :)
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2015
    I like them all very much...

except...

The one you are enamored with, second image lower left (red dress). The chin line/neck just isn't very flattering for her in that image, at least to my eye.

The white background both as white and as gray, is very nice. I do REALLY like the background in top right and bottom left in the first image and top in the second. Those really make the subject "pop".
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2015
    The images are very nice but the quality/softness of light really grabs my eye and that is the name of the game.
    edited June 11, 2015
    Thanks, gentlemen! Hack, I'm assuming that's a good "quality/softness of light" (just checking!!). Yeah, I'm finally getting that down. LOVE LOVE LOVE that Hiliter - it's a super-useful tool thumb.gif

Bryce, her chin and jawline were really problematic. I'm usually great at getting a jawline (forehead towards the camera/chin forward and down/turtle etc etc) but she just couldn't seem to find it unless it happened naturally, and even when she did it tended to shorten her neck and make her shoulders look wider. I probably should have had my key light a little higher and diallled down the fill a little bit to throw her neck into greater shadow, but I didn't think of that until afterwards (was it ever thus!). I snagged a few, fortunately, although they were tough to get. Here's another - it still needed more chin-work in post than I like, but it's a better angle and softer expression :)

i-83GsHWC-XL.jpg
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2015
    Great light. I think the shots of the woman in red would benefit from a hair light. Her hair gets lost in the dark background. I know this is easier said than done and I wish I could do it more myself.

As for the top left image (the enigmatic pose?), maybe I will feel differently after I am well into my 60s but the "come hither" look on silver haired people gives me the heebie jeebies.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited June 11, 2015
    Haha - she's gone early grey - is about 50, so not THAT old lol

I did quite a few with a hairlight, I just liked some of the ones without, as well. Here's one with. Not crazy about the framing on it, but as a thumbnail in a program it will work fine for her. I had no further room to step back and didn't want to stop the flow to switch lenses................. :)

i-P86DdW7-XL.jpg
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2015
    I love the detail in her dress...I can FEEL the fabric!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2015
    divamum wrote: »
    Do you mean the one with the props? Yeah, I processed it a little hot, I think. She still hasn't picked the ones she wants, so these edits were mostly for fun, for myself :)

Thanks, dude! Hope you're well. SO glad to see you shooting again and WOWZERS what a way to return!!! :)

No not the first series of images, but the second set top image. It's an intriguing photograph, but the highlights in the background are a little hot to my eyes. It's a very small nit though, but the expressions are spot on with the set as a whole thumb.gif

And thank you! I'm running myself thin working 60 hours a week interning at a PT clinic and catching up on photography on the weekend. Hook me up to an IV of coffee please! rolleyes1.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
    edited June 15, 2015
    Thanks all!

Gotcha, Michael. Yeah, the tones are very similar. That background has actually been de-sat-ed like crazy. It's green, which is something I hate in performer headshots (makes them look like senior portraits) and dial back in LR. :)