Nikon 1 or D7000

One Moment One ShotOne Moment One Shot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited January 15, 2012 in Cameras
I am tossed between a huge decision. I'm ready to invest $1300 into upgrades.

My first plan was to upgrade to the D7000 with 18-105 lens Kit.

Now that I have experienced the Nikon 1 my decision is not sticking as much.

Two Options:

1. Keep Nikon D3000 i current use and on and a Speedflash SB-900. Then purchase the Nikon 1 with 10-30 and 30-110 lens.

2. Purchase Nikon D7000 and continue using 18-55 and 70-200 lens and get 18-105 lens with kit.

Any suggestions would be great.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.040444,-81.068881
http://www.onemomentoneshot.com

Comments

• time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    These are for two totally different apps. Do you find yourself thinking that the D3000 is to big and gets in the way of your activities, or do you do things based on taking pictures with the Dslr?

Nikon V1 seems to be a intro into the 4/3 interchangeable lens market, and since the lens are not F mount, if you wanted to go that route i may consider taking a good look at some of the 4/3 systems (more choice in glass), and i think you can get an adapter to use some Nikon F mount lens.

So it totally depend how serious you want to get, and what your goals are.

I just look at your site, and you have some great shots, please explain why you are even considering going away from a Dslr, and not planning to upgrade to a D700, if your clients see you get to a job with a V1, all they will think is they hired someone taking shots with a P&S....even though its not...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • One Moment One ShotOne Moment One Shot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback on my shots.

That is a really good point when you said arriving to my client with a point and shoot.

My budget doesn't allow for the D700 yet but I was looking to get the D7000.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.040297,-81.068568
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited November 22, 2011
    You still have not said how you are to use the new camera/system. The more you can detail your photographic intentions, the better we can advise.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 22, 2011
    I focus more on Portraits and Sporting events.

I did an Indoor Basketball Tournament the weekend and see that I need a faster camera and need to get a Low light lens.

Also don't have an external flash at the moment either.

Looking for the best solution to invest $1300 into. New Lens? New Speedlight for D3000?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.329862,-81.381406
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011

I did an Indoor Basketball Tournament the weekend and see that I need a faster camera and need to get a Low light lens.

Looking for the best solution to invest $1300 into. New Lens? New Speedlight for D3000?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.329862,-81.381406

I'd go with the D7000, what you need is a camera with higher ISO capabilities.

After that I would save up for Sigma's 70-200 f2.8

EDIT: or look around for a used D300s
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited November 22, 2011

I don't think that the Nikon "1" series was designed with "sports" in mind. Likewise you would get vastly better DOF control with the D7000, as well as a better portrait lens selection.

No contest, the D7000 is the better choice for your needs.

That said, a couple of external flashes, and appropriate flash modifiers, would do more to improve portraiture than a new camera. If possible purchase a couple of portrait lenses (Nikkor AF-S 50mm, f1.8G and Nikkor 85mm, f1.8D*, for instance) and a couple of flashes. Make your own flash modifiers and you have enough quality and control to start doing more portraiture for hire. (You will also need to invest some time into portrait lighting and posing, etc.)

Save a bit longer and then purchase a sports dSLR for the sports portion of your needs.

*(I believe that the Nikkor 85mm, f1.8D would be manual focus on your current camera.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 22, 2011
    Thanks. That really helped to make my decision. Will start my search for lenses and flashes to go with my Nikon D3000 for now.

I looked at the Speedflash SB-900 just the other day.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I don't think that the Nikon "1" series was designed with "sports" in mind. Likewise you would get vastly better DOF control with the D7000, as well as a better portrait lens selection.

No contest, the D7000 is the better choice for your needs.

That said, a couple of external flashes, and appropriate flash modifiers, would do more to improve portraiture than a new camera. If possible purchase a couple of portrait lenses (Nikkor AF-S 50mm, f1.8G and Nikkor 85mm, f1.8D*, for instance) and a couple of flashes. Make your own flash modifiers and you have enough quality and control to start doing more portraiture for hire. (You will also need to invest some time into portrait lighting and posing, etc.)

Save a bit longer and then purchase a sports dSLR for the sports portion of your needs.

*(I believe that the Nikkor 85mm, f1.8D would be manual focus on your current camera.)
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    If you go with the D7000 you can get older Nikon lenses that are less expensive, because it has the internal motor drive that your D3000 lacks. I have several oldr Nikon lenses that I picked up for a song. 70-210mm f4 125.00, 300mm f4 ED 400.00. 50mm f1.8 D 100.00 or less, 85mm f1.8 D 300.00, TOkina 50-135mm f2.8 600.00 New. now i have upgraded a lot of these lenses as I have gone along.But they served well when I had them. View finder on the D7000 is great for tracking sports try doing that on a LCD screen. V1 is a good camera and I have played with it but I do not seing it replacing a DSLR at least for me. You can also pick up a D300 or D300s used or refurbished for a lot less that the D7000 and in lot of ways better than the D7000, better AF system and bigger buffer when shooting action shots.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    Just as an FYI the Nikon sb900 is dead in the water and soon to be replaced by the sb910 according to Nikon rumors, for whatever that is worth.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011

---

On the sports side, I notice you specifically mentioned shooting an indoor basketball tourny. I don't shoot sports, but have a friend who does. I believe you'll find that flash is typically not permitted at indoor sports events for pretty obvious reasons. That would make the low(er) light capabilities of the camera and lens you choose even more important.
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    AFBlue wrote: »
    On the sports side, I notice you specifically mentioned shooting an indoor basketball tourny. I don't shoot sports, but have a friend who does. I believe you'll find that flash is typically not permitted at indoor sports events for pretty obvious reasons. That would make the low(er) light capabilities of the camera and lens you choose even more important.

I agree with this

I was always told by my photo editor that shooting with a speedlight, was something one should not do because you run the risk of blinding the athletes
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • ThierryThierry Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2011
    I owuld go with the d7000 judging by your picture type.
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2011
    You may have made your decision already but I would like to point you to Rob Galbraith's review of the J1/V1 cameras with a comparison to the D7000.
  • Hoops JunkieHoops Junkie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2011
    I purchased the D7000 a year ago specifically to shoot indoor basketball. Paired with my Nikon 50mm 1.4 and my Nikon 35mm 1.8 I get a lot of great pictures. I upgraded from a D200 and it makes all the difference in the world. DOF can get real shallow in a dark gym though. I've tried shooting a 35-105 2.8, but it just didn't seem like the pictures were as sharp. I love my D7000.
  • WhitefootWhitefoot Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    D7000 is a great camera.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    If its the size that bothers you, why not an EVIL.
    The micro 4/3 and 4/3 formats have good lens choices.
    If you want a larger sensor, yet smaller size, the NEXs will fit the bill well.

I do not see much appeal in the baby nikon.

If they had stuck to the 4/3rds standard mount (shared by many companies), it would have better appeal