The proposal in the park in the rain

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    winger wrote:
    I am sure I could find it :-P

Just remember, the good Doctor has just received his new real doctor super powers. So don't make him angry, you wouldn't like him when he is angry hehehe

http://www.simpsonstrivia.com.ar/simpsons-photos/wallpapers/homer-hulk.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Was that the same bridge on which a particular Mr. Parker was dissapointed by M.J. in the released-this-week movie, I wonder.
  • MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Everything about this is absolutely incredible. You captured so amazingly something that they will now have forever, it won't just be a moment in time that changed their life forever, they have it to share with everyone. And I will say, I had absolute chills following this. These images have so much feeling and are so inspiring.

You did an amazing job, absolutely amazing!!!!
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com
    www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
    edited May 6, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    Was that the same bridge on which a particular Mr. Parker was dissapointed by M.J. in the released-this-week movie, I wonder.

Yes, same bridge indeed!
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited May 6, 2007
    MyView wrote:
    I had absolute chills following this. These images have so much feeling and are so inspiring.

Thank you Lissa! I love hearing that my photos evoke an emotional response, it puts a smile on my face :D

Thanks again!
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Yes, same bridge indeed!
    I thought it looked familiar in the theatre tonight. After the movie I told my wife the story of this thread, then showed her when we got home... she loved it... "that's awesome."
  • p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    i second that!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    These are eggggscelllent--- what more is there to say--wings.gif
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Most Excellent images. Looks like I will have to sock away another chunk of $ and get to the orlando workshop. Will you be covering lighting and posing and stuff like this. Im Awed. and i dont usually shoot people , This makes me want to start :)
    edited May 7, 2007
    CookieS wrote:
    Most Excellent images. Looks like I will have to sock away another chunk of $ and get to the orlando workshop. Will you be covering lighting and posing and stuff like this. Im Awed. and i dont usually shoot people , This makes me want to start :)

I am so glad you liked them. I am really looking forward to Orlando, Florida is one of the few states I have not been to yet!

The first two days will cover lighting and posing and the photojournalistic style. The third day will put that into practice during the wedding and portrait shoot.

During the wedding, everyone will have a chance to shoot as the main photographer and as the "B Roll" photographer. And during the portraits, each will get a chance to be the main photographer and then the lighting assistant.

The fourth day is more about what to do with those photos now that you have them, workflow, deliverables, and the like. I hope to see you there :D

And a big thank you to all who have commented.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Just remember, the good Doctor has just received his new real doctor super powers. So don't make him angry, you wouldn't like him when he is angry hehehe

http://www.simpsonstrivia.com.ar/simpsons-photos/wallpapers/homer-hulk.gif

I fear not the good Doctor. My zamboni trumps bus anyday. It has blades and augers!!!!

I dont know if I have ever seen Erik angry, annoyed and stressed yes...not picturing angry though.
    edited May 7, 2007
    winger wrote:
    I fear not the good Doctor. My zamboni trumps bus anyday. It has blades and augers!!!!

I dont know if I have ever seen Erik angry, annoyed and stressed yes...not picturing angry though.

hahaha...forget Erik, fear the auger!!! hahahaha

I may have nightmares...
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Absolutely amazing work Shay! Unbelievable and truly inspiring to anyone that sees them. Thank you for sharing them with us!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • OzimaxOzimax Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Shay,

I havn't seen any of your images for several years now. (I used to post on dpreview back in the Sony F707 days, and only stumbled across dgrin yesterday).

In a few words, this series of shots in the rain borders on the unbelievable. I don't think I've seen too many better images anywhere. My wife and daughter were crowded round the monitor last night as we just sat back and enjoyed this series. Almost brings a tear to the eye...

I look forward to spending some more time on dgrin in the coming weeks.

Regards,

Max Young
    edited May 8, 2007
    Ozimax wrote:
    Shay,

I havn't seen any of your images for several years now. (I used to post on dpreview back in the Sony F707 days, and only stumbled across dgrin yesterday).

In a few words, this series of shots in the rain borders on the unbelievable. I don't think I've seen too many better images anywhere. My wife and daughter were crowded round the monitor last night as we just sat back and enjoyed this series. Almost brings a tear to the eye...

I look forward to spending some more time on dgrin in the coming weeks.

Regards,

Max Young

Hi Max!
    Those were the days huh? Well I am so glad you found Dgrin, it has all the flavor of the old STF without all the fat and calories hehehe.

And thank you for the comments! It means a lot to hear that they have had such an impact on so many.

Thanks again, and welcome home clap.gif
    Shay
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Just stumbled across the thread Shay and had to chime in. The series and story behind it is great but the last pic (leaning on the fence) is spectacular. Thank you for being an inspiration to all of us.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Dude.

This blew me away. Shay, you're the man! thumb.gif

Now for something curious: did you know here in Brazil we absolutely don't have this tradition of making a big deal of proposals? Seriously!

To give you an idea: I have a friend of mine who's been a photographer for something close to 40 years, and he's done pretty much everything (even though he concentrates on weddings) and he's never done a proposal shoot. Curious huh?

Back to the topic, I was about to call you a great professional, but I think you're something more. Photography doesn't seem like only a job to you Shay, and that makes the good photographer, to my eye!

Congratulations on your great job, and thanks for this very cool post!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • adewriadewri Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2007
    This is amazing! Just awsome. So much emotions involved. Loved it. Thanks a lot for sharing.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    These pictures still gives me goosebumps when I see them. I've posted already, but the love and emotion is just so priceless.

I've seen some really good proposals...but this one that he set up, is just awesome. He seems like a very romantic type of guy. clap.gif
    edited May 9, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    These pictures still gives me goosebumps when I see them. I've posted already, but the love and emotion is just so priceless.

I've seen some really good proposals...but this one that he set up, is just awesome. He seems like a very romantic type of guy. clap.gif

He is, but we had to warn him away from being too romantic! He wanted me, at first, to shoot secretly, and deliver the photos so he could surprise her with them on their 5th or 10th year anniversary.

We told him there would be much more excitement and it would turn out more romantic if the photos were not kept secret. He finally agreed, and much to everyones delight. Sharing the photos right away is the best, keeping them secret wastes all that potential excitment.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    I am speech less after watching this one
    Great work as always
    iforgot091.jpg
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Beautiful shots Shay! The shot where she's swinging around him is fantastic....so amazing!

(makes me want to beat my husband for not planning something like that for his proposal rolleyes1.gif)
  • webcasewebcase Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2007
    Beautiful shots .thumb.gif
  • stevemallerstevemaller Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    nice catch ivar, same spot. shay, maybe you should change the words on the top of you page to "artistic | scripted" :D

Err...you have your logical operators wrong, dude. That's artistic && scripted. :D
  • getafixgetafix Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2007
    ...moving
    when I saw your photos I just had to register just so I could say what awsome work youv'e got right there... just as one of the posters here said this is the stuff that reminds me why I lilke photography so much.

keep up the good work.

hope MY wife does not see these photos :)
    edited May 27, 2007
    getafix wrote:
    when I saw your photos I just had to register just so I could say what awsome work youv'e got right there... just as one of the posters here said this is the stuff that reminds me why I lilke photography so much.

keep up the good work.

hope MY wife does not see these photos :)

Sweet! clap.gif

I am glad you made the effort to sign up! When we can make photos that move people emotionally, we have done our jobs well. That is one goal I continually strive to keep in the forefront of my mind. I find it easy to get side tracked by things that don't necessarilly contribute to that goal. Your post helps to remind me of the importance of keeping it in mind.

Thank you!

And a thank you for the other comments that came in since my last post too.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    I am speech less after watching this one
    Great work as always
    iforgot091.jpg
    I agree...I am amazed how he can hold her with one arm, and still hold the umbrella...what a guy!iloveyou.gif