Scanner settings for scanning MF film (120) for Epson V750?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited June 3, 2014 in Technique
This is a film photography related question.

What is your Epson V750 scanner settings for scanning MF film (120 and 220)? I would like to scan film MF film.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 3, 2014
    Just as there are no single settings for cameras, you need to explore different settings with the film scanner. Different image frames will require different settings for exposure, dynamic range, contrast, etc.

Different types of film stock will also affect the settings, so feel free to experiment.

VueScan is much better scanner control software than the manufacturer's software.

To be honest, I would sometimes automate multiple different exposures, etc., and then just review the results and delete the scans that looked worst. It took longer, but ran mostly in the background so I could do other things during the scans.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 3, 2014
    Ziggy, I was at a club meeting tonight and one person asked if 29 cents wasn't too high a price for ScanCafe to charge for slide scanning. I had to quietly laugh, because it tells you that they have never spent any time trying to create first quality film scans. Each image is different, and there is very little about scanning that can be completely automated if you want first rate scans.

I agree that VueScan is the software to use for slide scanning, and I have been a user for over a decade. www.hamrick.com is the site to get it

The best information sources about scanning are Sascha Steinhoff's "VueScan Bible - Everything you need to know for Perfect Scanning" and "Scanning Negatives and Slides - Digitizing your Photographic Archive" both published by rockynook, one of the better publishers about photography techniques.

Sanning Negatves and Slides is a bit outdated now, as it was published in 2007, and some of the software discussed is no longer available I think, but it is a great introduction to fine image scanning theory and technique.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin